Green Room

Surprise: Obama winning 90+% of northern European vote

posted at 11:30 pm on October 31, 2012 by

It’s Halloween and I owe you something scary, so here you go. Via YouGov:

Quoth the pollster, “By continental European standards, Obama is considered right-of-centre or even right-wing.” Sleep tight, children.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Fine with me. They can have him.

Gingotts on October 31, 2012 at 11:32 PM

They love the man who is weakening America…

mnjg on October 31, 2012 at 11:34 PM

As an European, this is my perspective:

1. European media is even more left-wing than the US media. Coverage of US politics is extremely slanted. This is slowly changing and more are getting better informed through FOX News (fastest growing US Cable news in Europe) and blogs.

2. Republicans are perceived as stronger leaders. Democrats are perceived as weaker and easily amendable to European interests. There was a time when strong US leaders were preferred (cold war) but not anymore.

This being said, not everyone is feeling this way. Actual support for Obama is soft, aside from the communist left most people are ambivalent about US politics. There are groups who are strongly Pro American and Pro Republican. This party from my native Norway comes to mind: http://www2.nationalreview.com/nordlinger/nordlinger_progs07-19-10.asp
They are not alone, there are similar parties all over Northern Europe and they are growing.

Norwegian on November 1, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Shocker. I so enjoyed the Nordic VAT rates when I swung through that part of the world. Beautiful countries though.

LukeinNE on November 1, 2012 at 12:22 AM

No he isn’t… Sweden has school vouchers after all.

There’s a huge problem that the right in both Europe and America need to conquer and that is that the perception of how both Europe sees America and how America sees Europe is 100% completely controlled by the left.

ninjapirate on November 1, 2012 at 12:32 AM

This is a reflection of the effectiveness of the propaganda machine (mainstream European media) that most of Europe is influenced by. Many Europeans have absolutely no idea what the truth is about America. That’s why almost all Europeans believe their country is the best, and why when they come to the U.S. for any extended length of time, they don’t want to leave.

Remember, in 90% or Europe, for the average person to own a home AND a car, is to be considered wealthy – those poor people are continually HAMMERED by the “Liberal” mind control nonsense day in and day out.

I actually feel a little sad for them whenever I have to go to Europe to be honest, but I’ve long since given up trying to explain to them how much better we have it here.

KMC1 on November 1, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Norwegian on November 1, 2012 at 12:17 AM

I totally agree with you. The troubling thing that I’ve picked up on the last several years from my time in Norway and Sweden is that there is a very strong undercurrent of nationalism growing in both countries. Also, the younger people have no respect for the horrors of World War I & II, and there is a very strong push by the “Liberal” media and education systems to rewrite history regarding the amount of U.S. involvement in not just the wars, but in the rebuilding of Europe after them. As a result I’ve noticed a definite shift in how people feel about America, and some even seem to put a certain amount of blame on America for the wars – which I find very troubling as its just so far from the truth.

The older I get, the less I would be willing to fight a war for Europe – in just a couple generations it seems they’ve already started to not only forget the sacrifice America has made for Europe, but more seem to think America was a big part of why they happened.

Just my perspective from talking politics with people when I’m over. Ymmv.

KMC1 on November 1, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Waiting for some Dem senator (Scummer maybe) to propose an amendment making Europe the 51st state in 4, 3, 2, 1…

Marcola on November 1, 2012 at 1:58 AM

There is some context needed.

First if you polled EASTERN Europe Romney would be leading especially in former communist countries.

While I’m from Cuba. My husband is from Romania (a former communist country), and he still has family there. And I can tell you Obama is not well liked. Same with Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic.

Most of these countries have right wing governments presently. Czech Republic has Vaclav Klaus (who is as conservative as Jim Demint), same with Poland, and Hungary. Romania has a president who would be considered center-right is embattled in corruption scandals, and has been impeached three separate times. Winning re-election all 3 times after being impeached by parliament. Corruption is still rampant there.

To summarize, Romney would win in Eastern Europe. Also this poll and others that poll foreign countries are basically pushing a meme. I doubt that Obama would really get 90% even in “western Europe”

Raquel Pinkbullet on November 1, 2012 at 3:08 AM

I live in Italy. I can agree in total with Norwegian and Raquel. My responsibilities take me through most of Europe and a fair bit of Latin America.

Obama is loved by the media and the wealthy. Romney is considered a threat. In former communist countries, and in democratic Latin countries, Obama is seen as a socialist who is dangerous.

Two quick stories: I was in Prague with a South African colleague. He was buying an Obama marionnette as a gag. He bought the one with a red tie, and laughingly suggested it was because Obama is a communist. Without missing a beat, the store owner said, “No, we had communism. Obama is merely a Socialist.”

I was in Honduras, before Obama shamelessly eliminated support for them during the Zelaya presidency. Common Hondurans who could speak English would physically grab me and say “We were a banana republic! We chose democracy! Don’t your people realize he is taking you to being socialist!”

However, most everyday Europeans and Latins have far too many of their own problems to delve deeply into American politics. They just read what the news tells them. The increase in Fox over here is beginning to help, because the news is VERY slanted. And the young are far too indoctrinated into the entitlement mentality to see beyond the news.

But they ARE watching the election results. Should be fun on wednesday. I’ll be in France; can’t wait!

Bigurn on November 1, 2012 at 6:36 AM

thanks to our overseas HA crew for their insights…

cmsinaz on November 1, 2012 at 7:49 AM

The northern European’s have always been a worthless lot. Who cares?

Mr. Arrogant on November 1, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Europe loves its golden goose and chances are pretty good Mitt will cut some of their parasitic costs.

mixplix on November 1, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Europe – Useless since 1945.

RandallinHerndon on November 1, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Marcola on November 1, 2012 at 1:58 AM

If I’m not mistaken such a proposal would make Europe the 58th state.

Gang-of-One on November 1, 2012 at 9:30 AM

He misspelled “left-wing” and “Communist.”

SagebrushPuppet on November 1, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Well, I know he’s not getting at least two Northern European votes this election, my son’s in Oslo and my daughter’s in England. Sorry BO!

Bob's Kid on November 1, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I was speaking to a good friend in Paris on Monday and we got to talking about the election. She’s Taiwanese, but has lived in France for a decade so has both an insider and outsider perspective. When I said that I was quietly optimistic that Romney was going to win, she was shocked. She told me that the French media portrays the election as a cake-walk for Obama. I suppose this will only increase the potential for schadenfreude — or whatever the hell the French say — on Wednesday.

KGB on November 1, 2012 at 1:05 PM