Green Room

Meet the girl behind the Tea Party sorority girl meme

posted at 12:08 pm on October 30, 2012 by

So, the dumb Alabama sorority girl with a misspelled Tea Party sign was actually a college student from Massachusetts who’s not in a sorority and is voting for Barack Obama. She hastily made her sign as a costume for her first college party unknowingly vaulting herself into Internet infamy. Here’s the picture that did it:

Meme debunked

Starting her freshman year, she was invited to her first college party. It had a theme – the Boston Tea Party. In a rush to put together a costume, she thought she’d be clever. She Googled “Tea Party signs.” She saw one that inspired her scrawling on the pizza box, although she says that the grammar on the original sign was correct. The misspellings were her idea to make sure no one thought she was serious.

She showed the sign to her roommate, who took a picture and later put it on her Facebook page.

The party was on a Saturday, she says. On Sunday morning she got a message on Facebook from a friend she hadn’t seen in two years. Her friend told her that she had found a picture of her on Tumblr, a blogging platform and social media site.

“At first I didn’t know what she was talking about, and I was excited, because who doesn’t want to be Internet famous?” she said. “And then you figure out why you are Internet famous.”

She sounds like a sweet and thoughtful young woman who has since gotten so much abuse from the Left, as they believe her to be the face of Tea Party ignorance, that she’s come away with a sad lesson:

“The party I’m a part of because I’m tolerant and I think that homosexuals should be able to get married – the group of people that I associate with – can be just as cruel as the people I disagree with,” she said.

She also offers a partial defense of Tea Partiers one wouldn’t necessarily expect from a college student:

“I have been to Tea Party rallies, and I’m the first person to tell you that not all people in the Tea Party are nuts,” she said. “I’ve talked to some extremely intelligent, well informed people. But let’s face it. When anyone mentions the Tea Party, people think of the extremists.”

She used to keep her own Tumblr blog for correcting bad information about her, but it took up too much of her time. A good story to keep in mind, especially as Sandy news and its accompanying fake photos are moving fast across the Internet.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Dear Fake Tea Party girl whose planning on voting for Obama,

It’s not too late to change your mind.

Kataklysmic on October 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I thought this was going to be about bacon.

faraway on October 30, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Dear Fake “Tea Party” girl, do you know what an acronym is?

It’s not “Tea Party”, it’s TEA: taxed enough already. It has nothing to with either the drink, or what your fraternity boys like to do when there aren’t enough girls around.

Nutstuyu on October 30, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Actually, Alabama sorority girls are hot. That’s your first sign.

faraway on October 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I’ve never seen anything that frightening in an Alabama sorority! Not enough beer goggles in America. Stay thirsty, my friend.

crash72 on October 30, 2012 at 12:48 PM

faraway on October 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM

No offense, but there is a bit of the cheerleader effect going on in that picture.

Abby Adams on October 30, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I thought this was going to be about bacon.
faraway on October 30, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Well, the girl was hamming it up for the camera.

whatcat on October 30, 2012 at 12:57 PM

faraway on October 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Abby Adams on October 30, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Haha, I was just going to say the same thing. Girls out here at the Arizona schools are better than that, minus the southern belle accent.

nextgen_repub on October 30, 2012 at 1:06 PM

You can tell by here filthy azz room that she is a libtard.

esnap on October 30, 2012 at 1:08 PM

She’s voting Democrat because of gay marriage? What an unimportant issue to base your vote on. I read somewhere that in the states where gays can legally marry only a very small.percentage of gays actually marry. So she’s voting based on a issue that effects very few people.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Internet fame is to be avoided for a whole host of reasons unless you are putting yourself out there with a message you believe in and are willing to defend.

The number of unintentional internet celebrities/semibrities who find themselves dealing with real life trolls and stalkers may not be statistically large, but it’s real and something to consider as you post little chunks of your private life online. People have proven over and over again that the thin veil of anonymity is cover enough to post the most hateful messages because they don’t believe they’ll ever have to face up to being held accountable. I’m no tech expert, but I know that everything you put online will all catch up to you someday.

So be wry and witty, but not hateful. Be disappointed in politicians and sports teams or be supportive, but don’t wish harm on anyone. Be disrespectful at your own peril, because as you sow, so shall you reap.

CitizenEgg on October 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM

She attempted to mock and ridicule those who are concerned about the deficit and increasing taxes collapsing the economy with the worst kind of stereotype? And now she is being attacked viciously by her political allies? I call that karma.

redeye on October 30, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Clearly not from ‘Bama. There’s no Bear Bryant houndstooth hat!

Galtian on October 30, 2012 at 2:11 PM

nextgen_repub on October 30, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Miami University, Oxford, Ohio. Good looks are virtually a requirement–at least they used to be.

What does same-sex marriage have to do with the Tea Party movement?

BuckeyeSam on October 30, 2012 at 2:14 PM

She needs to clean up her room. The girl is a slob.

mchristian on October 30, 2012 at 3:16 PM