Green Room

Obama reminds Republicans they need to vote for their guy

posted at 12:38 pm on October 25, 2012 by

Is this ad a) an act of desperation, b) good campaign strategy, or c) a public service announcement about the need to vote?

Narrator: 537,  the number of votes that changed the course of American history.

News announcer: Florida  is too close to call…

Narrator: The difference between what was and what could have been. So this year if you’re thinking that your vote doesn’t count, that it won’t matter…well, back then there were probably at least 537 people who felt the same way. Make your voice heard. Vote.

The president: I’m Barack Obama and I approved this message.

The Huffington Post reports that the president’s team is running this ad in swing states. The campaign, according to the article, is not worried about voter enthusiasm but decided to run the ad because…. Well, maybe because they’re  really what the president thinks Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is.

Coming on the heels of the “I finally have an agenda” move,  this latest message seems like one more desperate attempt to nudge tepid Dem voters, perhaps turned off by the president’s negative campaigning but leaning his way, to go ahead and hold their noses but still vote for Obama.

However, this ad is a double-edged sword. Just as it reminds Democrats of the 2000 vote-counting debacle in Florida, it also probably sends a shiver down Republican spines, too, prompting them to get out and cast their votes before ballot-counting nightmares recommence.

So my answer to the question posed at the outset of this piece: This ad is — a) an act of desperation and c) a public service announcement that will surely jazz up GOP sentiments, as well.

Libby Sternberg is a novelist. Find her books here. Follow her at Center Right Side blog.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Looks like they’re setting the table for a repeat of their 2000 election games.

CurtZHP on October 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Looks like they’re setting the table for a repeat of their 2000 election games.

CurtZHP on October 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Well, since everyone went to voting machines, we won’t have “hanging chads” to hear about.

Bitter Clinger on October 25, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Holy crap! I’m laughing my butt off right now! Note to Obama… stop encouraging us! Please! It’s embarrassing!

dominigan on October 25, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Trust me barry, the only thing that can keep me from the polls is an untimely death.

SteveThomas on October 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM

HEY, MSM, remember that Florida sits in 2 time zones, Eastern and Central. Don’t go calling it (for Dear Liar) when polls close in the Eastern zone to depress the Republican pan handle.

rbj on October 25, 2012 at 1:40 PM

What could have been? Well, they tried to have a do-over in Wisconsin, and the Governor won by a bigger margin than the first time.

What could have been? George W. Bush’s War on Terror would have been replaced by Al Gore’s War on Coal and CO2. Ground Zero would still be a shambles, with no electricity to rebuild it.

Steve Z on October 25, 2012 at 2:41 PM

SteveThomas on October 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I hope you’re ok, but maybe you should vote early just in case?

JoAnn1965 on October 25, 2012 at 2:45 PM

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM
Top Pick

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Top Pick

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…