Green Room

My fond farewell to HotAir

posted at 1:42 pm on October 25, 2012 by

Some years ago, in a previous life (I seem to have had many), I was very briefly a writer-editor for a college literary magazine. In that capacity, I reviewed books old and new. When I completed my first assignment there, a critique of a novel, a friend jokingly asked, “Which one, Portnoy’s Complaint?” I was pleased to be able to answer with a straight face, “No, Howard’s End.”

Today, I announce with some sadness another Howard’s end. This will be my last day as a contributor at HotAir.com. I expect to write at least one more column, but at the end of the day I’ll be off on new adventures.

I can’t begin to describe the pleasure I’ve derived or count the many great friends I’ve made in my three-plus years at the site. I like to imagine that in my time here I’ve provided at least a nibble for thought and elicited the occasional chuckle from readers. If it’s not obvious by now that my philosophy is “Laugh first, aim later,” then I have failed at the primary task I assigned myself.

I can say with conviction that I have received at least as much as I have given by way of ideas and insights, and I thank you all for your thoughtful and thought-provoking commentaries.

I won’t be going far, for those interested in knowing. I will continue to hold court, as I have done during my tenure here, across the Internet, at Examiner, where I write two political columns (one here and one here).

I hope you’ll stop by and visit. There’ll always be a light in the window.

–Howard

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

FlatFoot on October 25, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I’ve said a bit too much already, but there will be an announcement tomorrow to fill in the details.

MadisonConservative on October 25, 2012 at 6:06 PM

(As long as you don’t start writing for the Huffington Post or something)

Not a chance, Sterling. Looking forward to seeing you at the new digs.

Howard Portnoy on October 25, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I’ve always enjoyed your take on stories of the weird and silly. Best wishes for your future endeavors.

-a long time lurker

drflykilla on October 25, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Take care and that.yes.

AH_C on October 25, 2012 at 6:37 PM

…that.yes.A
AH_C on October 25, 2012 at 6:37 PM

??? Should be “thanks”

AH_C on October 25, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Farewell and fair winds, Howard. May you be blessed in all that you do.

MelonCollie on October 25, 2012 at 6:50 PM

drflykilla

Thanks for lurking.

AH_C

Thank YOU (or “that yes” you).

MelonCollie

Right back athca.

Howard Portnoy on October 25, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Atcha. (One more typo for the road!)

Howard Portnoy on October 25, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I’ll miss you, Howard! I’ve bookmarked your other two sites. Thank you so much for all your hard work and wonderful writing.

Mary in LA on October 25, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I’ll miss you here at the green room, but I’ll be following you at the Examiner.

I’ve always enjoyed your insights and humor and I’m not prepared to give them up now.

thatsafactjack on October 25, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Well, from one boobophile to another, I’ll catch ya on the flip side . . .

BigAlSouth on October 25, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Change is hard. I hope the bosses know what they are doing. Howard you are one of my favorite greenroomers. Including the weird/cracy stuff. Okay, maybe because of the weird/crazy stuff. People have to be able to laugh. Thanks for giving us the opportunity.

hopeful on October 25, 2012 at 8:02 PM

it was great blogging with you howard. Good luck in your future endeavors!

Matt Vespa on October 25, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Change is hard. I hope the bosses know what they are doing.

Change is hard? What does that even mean?

Why are people getting so worked up about this? Seriously, you’re lamenting more than HP.

Capitalist Hog on October 25, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Howard, I’ll miss your writing on the site. You and Tina Korbe had a special spot in my heart as you would focus on educational issues.

Much luck to you and know that the co-editors at Missouri Education Watchdog will miss your contributions at HA. Hopefully you will still follow educational issues at The Examiner…we’ll be checking!

We often joke at MEW that we should have started a blog about food or fashion or music. We would be having a lot more fun!

manateespirit on October 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Capitalist Hog on October 25, 2012 at 8:27 PM

People like the greenroom. They look forward to it. Not sure why they would change something that works. Lamenting? Not really.

hopeful on October 25, 2012 at 8:44 PM

One for the road *clink* Howard… won’t be the same in the GR…

Good Luck in your endeavours!!

Auf Wiedersein…

Scrumpy on October 25, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Thanks to all for your good wishes and praise. If I had known I would get this much love, I would have left sooner. 🙂 I look forward to your continued insights at Examiner and back here when I check in (which I anticipate doing frequently).

Howard Portnoy on October 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Thank you friend for your insights. May the wind be always at your back.

itsspideyman on October 25, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I really appreciated your column here at HA.
🙂 Wish you all the best.

c4 on October 25, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Thanks for your many informative and entertaining posts – most of them a twofer, come to think of it.

AesopFan on October 25, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Comment pages: 1 2 3

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM
Top Pick

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Top Pick

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…