Green Room

Gay Republican assaulted for political activism; Update: Hoax

posted at 10:47 am on October 25, 2012 by

Update, 10/29 (Ed): Like so many of these kinds of stories, this one turned out to be a hoax.  Dustin asked us to update this post with his retraction and apology:

Gay GOP campaign worker recants assault claim, by Dustin Siggins

Last week, I reported on The Daily Caller that Kyle Wood, a gay Republican campaign volunteer, claimed he was hospitalized for his sexuality and political activism. Yesterday evening, however, Kyle recanted his story, according to Madison police. According to The Daily Page, Wood recanted after concerns were raised by police about threatening texts Wood claimed were from the partner of the opponent of the congressional candidate for whom Wood volunteers. The Daily Page reports that Captain Joe Balles of the South District Madison Police Department says the texts never took place.

It now is clear that Kyle lied to me, to other reporters, and to the thousands of people who read my article and the many follow-up blog posts and articles by others. Having known Kyle for a number of months, and spent a number of hours examining his claims, I believed he was telling me the truth and submitted an article to The Daily Caller.

Though it was not my intent, I reported an inaccurate story, and for that I apologize to all readers for being taken in by Wood. His dishonesty has caused harm to the reputations of many respectable individuals and organizations that believed his story, including me.

I have reached out to Wood for an explanation about this whole debacle, but he is not answering e-mails, has deleted his Facebook account, and is not answering his phone.

==========================

This morning, Daily Caller was kind enough to publish an article I wrote about a vicious assault done to Kyle Wood, a gay volunteer for a Republican campaign in Wisconsin. Kyle ended up in the hospital:

Kyle Wood, a full-time volunteer working for GOP House candidate Chad Lee, was hospitalized for injuries suffered during what he said was an assault at his home.

Wood told The Daily Caller that vandalism preceding the assault, along with his attacker’s statements during the incident, suggested his sexual orientation and his politics each played a role.

“I was getting ready for work and there was a knock at the door,” Wood emailed The Daily Caller late Wednesday. “I opened it, and a guy wrapped a ligature around my neck, slammed my head into the doorway, and smashed my face into a mirror, telling me ‘You should have kept your [f*******] mouth shut.’”

“He then kidney-punched me, while at the same time saying I was ‘warned,’ and continued to beat me,” he added.

Kyle has refused to be intimidated, though:

Wood said his attacker’s reference to a warning likely pointed to graffiti he found painted on his car last week. The vandalism included the phrases “house trained republican faggot,” “traitor,” and “ur like a jew 4 hitler.”

….

After he discovered the graffiti, Wood wrote an open letter on Facebook to the unknown vandal. “If you understand either freedom or me at all,” he wrote, “you would that this will only make me work harder. … You can think whatever you like about me, but I will not be bullied into voting for a gay man simply because I am gay.”

He’s also standing up against his unknown assailant:

“I will not be bullied, intimidated or threatened into abandoning my moral values,” Wood told TheDC late Wednesday.

People can come to their own conclusions regarding the assault, and comments below it show many already have. Some are saying this is how the left reacts to gay people who don’t support Democrats. Others are saying the assault never happened, that I am making it up. I did not write the article for these or other shallow political reasons, and those who come to those conclusions do so on their own. The focus here should not be about political viewpoints or sexuality. The focus should be on condemning any and all forms of intimidation against someone for his or her sexuality, political views, etc.
I have little doubt the attacker was acting alone. I am hopeful that Lee’s openly gay opponent, or departing Representative Tammy Baldwin (D-WI), who is running to be the first openly gay senator in America, will respond to my requests for comment. This kind of despicable act deserves and requires across-the-board condemnation, the sooner the better.
Kyle appears to be doing well, but kind thoughts and prayers are still requested.
Crossposted at RightWingNews.com.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Disgusting. Kyle needs to get himself a firearm and send this violent bully to Hades.

Bitter Clinger on October 25, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Brownshirts. Always on the Left.

rbj on October 25, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Disgusting. Kyle needs to get himself a firearm for self-protection.

Bitter Clinger on October 25, 2012 at 11:09 AM

just a few days ago there was one of the gay republicans who made the observation that the only people calling him [email protected] are those on the left….

chasdal on October 25, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Always remember….they are the tolerant ones….

I am sure this violence and intimidation was done with the best of intentions for the victim.

abnormal_1 on October 25, 2012 at 11:29 AM

This happened last time around as well. I think that dude ended up in a wheelchair. Union thugs, progtrog thugs, what’s the difference.

WeekendAtBernankes on October 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Yes. This is what is supposed to separate us from the rest of the world.

Fallon on October 25, 2012 at 12:07 PM

…I did not write the article for these or other shallow political reasons…

Maybe not Dusty, but that is obviously what the assault and vandalism was about. And as others have said, this is what leftists do to those who don’t toe the party line.

woodNfish on October 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Sorry, I should have written Dustin, not Dusty.

woodNfish on October 25, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Woodnfish, no worries on the name. :O)

You’re right that’s what the assault was about, but to make the assault about “the left” or “the gay left” is to be hypocritical when we conservatives rightly dispute the left when it says “the right” is racist because of one example of a racist conservative, or homophobic because of one homophobic Republican.

Dustin Siggins on October 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for someone from the left to speak out against it. I waited and waited and waited for someone on the left (and was center left myself) to condemn the treatment of Sarah Palin and her 17 yr old daughter but it never came. If I would have been holding my breath…I would have passed out.

Prayers for Kyle.

magicbeans on October 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Horrible.

ConservativeLA on October 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Typical liberal trash. The true bigots and racists are Obama supporters and other people of the left.

bluegill on October 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Just a reminder: People will die

Allahpundit Jun 28, 2017 10:41 PM
Top Pick

“Whipped cream’s killing more people than ever before.”

Top Pick

Medicare for all?

“There comes a point where you gotta get off the crazy train.”

Poll: Dem voters glumly sticking with Pelosi

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 8:41 PM

Disaster ahead?

“When she left it, it was in better shape than it had ever been.”

Manafort, firm registers as foreign agents

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 6:41 PM

Better late than never?

Delivered as promised

“I would like to think that the president saved many innocent men, women and children.”

“The Russia investigation was by far the dominant topic…”

The merry little media war continues.

Criminal enterprise

Politico: Has the SPLC lost its way?

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 3:01 PM

“The organization has always tried to find ways to milk money out of the public…”

Trump legal team backing away from Comey complaint?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 2:31 PM

De-escalation?

Time to get up and go to work, sir

CNN gets glum, defensive after resignations

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 1:01 PM

“If Jeff lit himself on fire, it wouldn’t appease the pro-Trump media.”

Hmmm: FBI probing Russia-based anti-virus firm?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 12:31 PM

“I wouldn’t put their stuff on my computer if you paid me.”

He works hard for the money…

It’s not a slippery slope. It’s a freaking avalanche.

Nuts.

Showdown: Sarah Palin vs the New York Times

Jazz Shaw Jun 28, 2017 9:21 AM

Defamation

Credit where creditor’s due?

More flash than bang, but a very bad sign

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”

Excuses, excuses.

Not really a “kill all the lawyers” scenario

4 pm ET!

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”