Green Room

D. L. Hughley’s unintentionally revealing interview with Bill O’Reilly

posted at 11:41 am on October 25, 2012 by

It’s time to play Twenty Questions. Here are three clues: Your mystery person (1) is a current major party candidate for president, (2) is “smug and arrogant,” (3) shows “disdain for people he can’t relate to.”

Was your answer Barack Obama? If it was, you aren’t D.L. Hughley, who imputes these familiar qualities to the president’s GOP opponent.

Hughley, a comedian by profession, was a guest on the O’Reilly Factor on Wednesday, where he explained why he openly dislikes Mitt Romney. His main grievance resides in his belief that Romney will not “uphold … tenets that [the nation] espouses,” adding, “I’m used to presidents I don’t like being presidents.”

When Bill O’Reilly asked whether the entertainer would pin a Romney victory on racism, Hughley said that “there is an element in this country who despises race,” but then acknowledged that the president’s underwhelming performance in the first debate would be a factor.

The most revealing part of the debate came when Hughley was asked about his comment that Romney treated the president “like a servant” during the first debate. The exchange that followed is worth repeating in its entirety, if for no other reason than the nugget of comedic gold contained in its close:

Hughley: I think there is a certain level of respect, regardless of whether you like someone or not, that is afforded to the Office of the Presidency.

And, I think, that because [Romney] was trying to appeal to a lot of members of the right wing who wanted to see Obama taken down a peg that he basically tried—

O’Reilly: But I didn’t think he was out of line. That’s coming from me. Because, I think, when you saw me interview the President—

Hughley: —I thought that was out of line, too.

O’Reilly: OK, but if the alternative is to let the President who can basically do 18 minutes on your socks—

Hughley: Yes.

O’Reilly: —OK, just go wherever he wants. So, what’s the worthiness of an interview like that.

Hughley: The difference between interrupting the president dozens of times and letting him get an answer out somewhere in the middle would probably be more acceptable.

O’Reilly: All right. But I don’t think he was dissatisfied with either interview I did with him. Did you see my interview with George W. Bush.

Hughley: I actually had.

O’Reilly: It was the same amount of interview. And that’s just who I am.

Hughley: Well, you had you to interrupt him because he didn’t quite know what was going on.

O’Reilly: Oh, I see. So, difference of respect on the president changes. [Empasis added]

Hughley’s comeback, in which he attempted to gloss over his overt “disrespect for the Office of the Presidency” by claiming that Obama has been treated worse than any predecessor, was as feeble as it is unintentionally hilarious.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can also reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Saw that

Quite rich, given that Dear Liar considers the Constitution “a charter of negative liberties”

rbj on October 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I expect to see a BIG shift about respect of the office of the presidency in a few weeks. Great catch, Howard.

thebrokenrattle on October 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM

O’Reilly demeans his entire show when he has ignorant bozos like Hughley on.

petefrt on October 25, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Ok! I’m not the most hip guy on the planet but who is D L Hughley? Does a fat duck have anything to do with it or am I thinking of Baby Hughie?

Vince on October 25, 2012 at 12:01 PM

In other words, the whole “people of color” meme only works when it’s giving advantage to blacks.

When it’s not, then it’s “everybody hates black people”.

This is why there has never been and never will be, lasting harmony among mankind.

KMC1 on October 25, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I stopped watching O’Reilly after he began his constant lying about guns and gun shows. O’Reilly is proof that a Harvard education is dumbed down. He’s an ass.

woodNfish on October 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Hughley, a comedian by profession

And not very funny at that.

I would tell him not to quit his day job, but he doesn’t seem to have one.

Bitter Clinger on October 25, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Great catch, Howard./blockquote>

Thanks.

Howard Portnoy on October 25, 2012 at 12:29 PM

OT: looks like the Green Room is coming to an end. Just got an email stating that it’s going to be turned into some sort of chat room for Salem Communications employees. Always knew the Green Room would get axed once Salem took over, just never knew it would take this long.

I sincerely hope that quality writers like JE Dyer, Howard Portnoy, and Fausta Wertz will be added to that roster, somehow. If not, HA is giving the boot to a lot of premium content.

MadisonConservative on October 25, 2012 at 12:38 PM

O’Reilly demeans his entire show when he has ignorant bozos like Hughley on.

petefrt on October 25, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I saw that interview and it turned my stomach. I think it’s good to have interviews like this though because we need to be informed about what others who don’t share our beliefs think. I’m seeing this lack of intellectual honesty more and more from those clinging to Obama in people around me.

redeye on October 25, 2012 at 12:56 PM

D.J. Huggy is a textbook example of psychological projection.
It’s sometimes unbelievable how blind to hypocrisy some brainwashed people can be. J.D. Hublie is a perfect example imo.

Mimzey on October 25, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Did O’Reilly ask Hughley about his saying (during the short-lived show he hosted on CNN) that the 2008 Republican convention “literally look[ed] like Nazi Germany”?

Ed Driscoll on October 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM

MadisonConservative on October 25, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Mad, thank you for your kind words, but I fear you’ve let the cat out of the bag.

Howard Portnoy on October 25, 2012 at 1:17 PM

So Hughley thinks that Obamuh’s underwhelming perf in the first debate figures in him not getting re-upped but no mention of Obamuh’s do-nothingness and destroy America tactics for the past 4 years even gets an honorable mention? And I love it how Obamuh supporters cloak their demands that we respect him in the guise of having respect for the office. Funny but if the someone who holds the Office of the President also respects it, he doesn’t publicly call his opponent a “bullshitter”–ever–or any other equivalent descriptive word.

stukinIL4now on October 25, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Who is DL Hughley?

single stack on October 25, 2012 at 2:59 PM

MadisonConservative on October 25, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Seriously, a chat room? What a shame. Between this and the facebook nonsense….

kim roy on October 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM

rbj on October 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM

But it is a charter of negative liberties, which is exactly why statists like Barack Obama seethe with anger at its very existence.

So many people on the right got angry when he said that because they didn’t understand what “negative liberty” is.

mintycrys on October 25, 2012 at 4:02 PM

woodNfish on October 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Why don’t you just stick to the topic; Hughley is just another clueless Obama worshipper.

Sterling Holobyte on October 25, 2012 at 6:16 PM