Green Room

The apology tour in perspective

posted at 2:29 pm on October 24, 2012 by

A tall tale of two fellas (possibly from New Jersey):

So, I’ve got this friend, see? Okay, he’s not really a friend. He’s a member of the family, a cousin, okay? But God love him, he’s a great guy.  He’s a stand-up guy, he is. You need something, he’ll give it to you. He’d give you the shirt off his back, he would. He’s got energy up the wazoo, a real “can do” kind of fellow. And smarts? That guy should have been a whatchamacallit—you know, one of those prize winners, noble something or other.

Anyways, he’s  trying to line up some partnerships to get some business going here and there. He’s into this and that, see, and he’s always working on something.

And, because I’m something of a traveler myself, I start getting asked by folks about him. What kind of guy he is and whatnot. Is he as great as he thinks he is? Jeez, I can’t tell you the number of times I got that: That cousin of yours, he’s really stuck on hisself.

And I know he comes off that way to these folks but, c’mon, some of ’em got a chip on their shoulders so big they can’t see sideways no more and think the world starts and ends at the tips of their noses. You know what I mean?

But I ain’t gonna knock that chip off. Not me. I want ’em to like me, too, after all. So I nod my head and say, yeah, he’s got his flaws—we’ve all got ’em, right, even you’se. And, yeah, he can be what you call “dismissive” and maybe “derisive” and even “dictatorial”—those “d” words spilled out of me so fast I thought maybe I shoulda been a poet—but we’re all human, you know what I mean?.

Well, I get home, thinking what a great thing I done for my cuz, and whatayaknow? He’s all in my face, saying, what the hell you think you’re doing for me, throwing me under the bus like that? You think I need that? You think that’s gonna help me out, going on some apology tour on my behalf when you know I’m not any of those things you said about me?

What apology tour, I throws back at him. I didn’t use no apology words.

So you know what he does? He takes his story to the local newspaper and tells this reporter all about it.

And, happy ending here—they backed me up. That ain’t no apology tour, they says. He didn’t use none of those words. For an apology tour, you have to say sorry and whatnot, things like that, see?

Maybe my cuz ain’t as smart as I thought he was.

____

The above is entirely and obviously fictional, because what reasonable person in the universe would not agree with the aggrieved cousin?

Libby Sternberg is a novelist.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Great illustration of the point.

A more complete fact check of the issue confirms the reasonableness of Romney’s point.

crowtreboot on October 24, 2012 at 4:02 PM

crowtreboot on October 24, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Thanks for posting that link; the article was a great example of how much work is required to counter the deliberate obtuseness of people who refuse to accept the plain common meaning of a word.

AesopFan on October 25, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Top Pick

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Top Pick

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.