Green Room

Obama debate talking point: ‘I will with be sitting down for talks with Iran’

posted at 10:35 am on October 22, 2012 by

Apologies in advance to all who are offended by ethnic jokes, but here goes. A Jewish business owner runs into a friend of his on the street. “Saul,” the first man says commiseratively, “I hear your factory burned down last Tuesday.” Saul leans into his interlocutor and whispers, “Sshh, next Tuesday.”

This joke came to mind after the Obama administration cracked a knee-slapper of its own this past weekend. On Saturday, the president’s water carrier’s at The New York Times breathlessly reported:

The United States and Iran have agreed in principle for the first time to one-on-one negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program, according to Obama administration officials, setting the stage for what could be a last-ditch diplomatic effort to avert a military strike on Iran. [Emphasis added]

A cynic might question the release of this news to coincide with the third and final debate on Monday night, the focus of which is foreign policy. Then again, a cynic would home in on the highlighted phrase above, which is clarified by the Times’ writers advice in the next paragraph that “Iranian officials have insisted that the talks wait until after the presidential election.” Translation: Sshh, next Tuesday.

The ultimate question is not whether this agreement (which, nota bene, a White House spokesman denies further down in the very same Times article) gives the president an ace in the hole. It is hard to imagine anyone tuning into the debate, hearing this talking point, and saying, “What’s that? The president has made good on his promise to sweet-talk the brutal thugs in Iran out of their nuclear ambitions? He’s got my vote!” The overarching theme tonight will be the security lapse in Libya following the takedown of Kaddafi that opened the door for the Benghazi raid.

The question about this latest “news,” rather, is the same one that arose in the minds of skeptics when the timeline for the implementation of Obamacare was first suggested. That question was: If this law is so all-fired great, then why wait five years, until 2014, to implement it in its totality? The answer, of course, is timing. Sshh, next Tuesday, safely after Obama is re-elected.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can also reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Oh, goody, the promise of talks with Iran — not any concrete proposals or anything, just talks. Hey, how’d our talks with North Korea work out?

rbj on October 22, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Actually, he will with be bowing down for talks with Iran.

scrubjay on October 22, 2012 at 11:05 AM

You had this cynic at the highlighted phrase above.

onomo on October 22, 2012 at 11:18 AM

How can you sit down when you’re bent over?

NoDonkey on October 22, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I think you mistyped the sentence in your headline. Reread it.

PastorJon on October 22, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I think you mistyped the sentence in your headline. Reread it.

Indeed I did. Thank you for pointing that out. Kindly disregard the first with.

Howard Portnoy on October 22, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Hey, talks with Iran. ‘Cause that’s never been tried before.

I think it’s time we get serious. Talks won’t work. What we need is a sternly worded letter.

Shump on October 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM

“Two lying regimes trying to talk to an agreement. I’m sure that couldn’t possibly go wrong.”

(I’d give credit to the original poster but I can’t find who it was ATM)

MelonCollie on October 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Hey, talks with Iran. ‘Cause that’s never been tried before.

Shump on October 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM

And a fierce glower of disapproval.

AJsDaddie on October 22, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Unfortunately, I think it actually will go over pretty well with the squishy undecideds that both campaigns are trying to court. Those who are so poorly informed about recent events that they can’t decide who to vote for won’t necessarily be knowledgeable about how dangerous Iran is. Throw in the war weariness, and I can see how this would appeal to those who can’t understand the consequences of trying to negotiate with Iran.

Mr. Prodigy on October 22, 2012 at 1:25 PM

It’s just another guy O will be bowing to.

OccamsRazor on October 22, 2012 at 1:38 PM

These talks with Iran make about as much sense as sheep flying.

Imrahil on October 22, 2012 at 2:06 PM

You know full well there are SOME people who will think precisely that.

It may be that Barack Hussein Obama has finally decided to give up on normal people altogether, and focus solely on enraging his radical base.

Of course any sane person realizes that there is nothing to discuss until Iran complies with all nonproliferation requirements. If Obama can position himself as “willing to talk” to Iran, then Mitt Romney comes off as the madman who refuses to even hear the (presumably) wonderful Iranian offers to compromise on the issue of nuclear genocide.

logis on October 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Those people have no idea what an Iran is.

If you’re truly undecided at this point, you are a moron.

NoDonkey on October 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM