Green Room

Going-out-of-business sale at BarackObama.com

posted at 11:47 am on October 21, 2012 by

It’s the sort of window display we have all become accustomed to seeing in the four years of economic stagnation that have marked the Obama presidency: signs exclaiming “30% Off Everything” and “Last Call!” and “Everything must go!”

Now those very appeals emblazon the window of a store that as recently as a month ago was the last venue on earth where you would expect to see them. They appear under the heading “Procrastinator alert” at the Obama campaign website.

View slideshow: Obama campaign fire sale

This is not the first time the president’s re-election team has resorted to unseemly or even bizarre tactics to raise cash. Earlier this month they sent out an email that had the flavor and tone of a collection notice. Never, however, has an appeal from the campaign seemed so weak or desperate. Never has one betrayed the same sense of resignation and finality: “Everything must go,” the banner might as well read, “including us.”

As though the page isn’t embarrassing enough, when you click through to the Obama retail website proper (which announces that this is your “Last Call!”), you find that selected items have had their prices slashed even further. A “Vote Obama IPhone Case,” for example, was $40 but now has been reduced to $30. You also find a curiosity: the “Obama Accomplishment Card Pack” ($15), which carries the advice that these cards “are a tool you can use to help family, friends and others understand what change really looks like.” The campaign was originally thinking of consolidating these “facts” into a Little Red Book until they discovered that format was already taken.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can also reach me at [email protected].

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Howard, I think you need to buy some of that crap to see how much of it was made in China. 🙂

JPeterman on October 21, 2012 at 12:03 PM

How about 50% off your two terms?

The Mega Independent on October 21, 2012 at 12:05 PM

JPeterman on October 21, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Or wait until after the election and get the stuff really cheap on ebay.

cozmo on October 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I took a look at the Obamuh accomplishment card pack. Whoa, all that text, that’s a lotta fiction there to fill up that many cards, what with the small print, and no pictures! My guess as to why they’re not selling is that Obamuh supporters aren’t capable of such heavy reading. Cheez!

stukinIL4now on October 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM

What’s up next, a yard sale on the South lawn? As long as it’s just his stuff he’s selling/pilfering and not ours, I’m ok.

Kissmygrits on October 21, 2012 at 12:25 PM

What’s up next, a yard sale on the South lawn?

Sounds pretty racist, no?

Howard Portnoy on October 21, 2012 at 12:34 PM

stukinIL4now on October 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM

does look like a lot of text…”I offed Osama” and “what I did on my expensive vacations” perhaps?

teejk on October 21, 2012 at 1:07 PM

The campaign was originally thinking of consolidating these “facts” into a Little Red Book until they discovered that format was already taken.

Funny, though to them, that’s a feature, not a bug.

rbj on October 21, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Moving Day on Nov 7th. Lots of bargains. Job lot of empty chairs.*

*some damaged. Owners take no responsibility.

Ozwitch on October 21, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Too funny.

Personal fave:

I Meow for Michelle Cat Collar

Fallon on October 21, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Top Pick

Will they stay or will they go?

Top Pick

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus