Obama told debate participant he DIDN’T call Benghazi attack terrorism at first
posted at 3:10 pm on October 17, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
If you’re confused over whether President Obama did or didn’t initially characterize the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi as an act of terrorism, a column by The Washington Post’s Erik Wemple will do little to clear things up.
Wemple reports that after the debate, the president headed over toward Kerry Ladka, the undecided voter who had asked Obama who “denied enhanced security” requested by the consulate “and why?”
As with much else that the president said during the 90-minute battle, he offered up a lengthy and meandering response that never really answered the question but provided much information that was neither requested nor especially relevant. Obama’s non-answer ultimately metamorphosed into a critique of Mitt Romney’s early response to the news of the attack, which in turn triggered one of the most acrimonious clashes of the evening.
But Obama “wasn’t done with Kerry Ladka,” Wemple writes.
‘After the debate, the president came over to me and spent about two minutes with me privately,’ says the 61-year-old Ladka, who works at Global Telecom Supply in Mineola, N.Y. According to Ladka, Obama gave him ‘more information about why he delayed calling the attack a terorist attack.’ For background, Obama did apparently lump Benghazi into a reference to ‘acts of terror’ in a Sept. 12 Rose Garden address. However, he spent about two weeks holding off on using the full ‘terrorist’ designation. The rationale for the delay, Obama explained to Ladka, was to make sure that the ‘intelligence he was acting on was real intelligence and not disinformation,’ recalls Ladka. [Emphasis added]
So according to Kerry Ladka, at least, Obama didn’t initially call the attack an act of terrorism. So Obama lied last night after all. Somehow this doesn’t seem to be all that big a revelation, but it ought to be entertaining to watch him dance around the issue at next Monday’s debate.
- Debate 2 opens Pandora’s box on Benghazi consulate attack
- Do supporters of ‘Liar’ debate strategy really believe Obama is free of sin? (Video)
- Hillary Clinton’s ‘taking responsibility’ for Libya changes nothing
- Obama told he needs to get tough, angry (again)
- Newsflash for Joe Biden: Obama has weakened national security
- Biden Libya debate claim throws Hillary Clinton under the bus (Video)
- What to expect in the next presidential debate
- Points Romney needs to cover in his foreign policy speech
- New poll says that under Obama, Muslim world dislikes U.S. more than ever
- Outrage: Obama administration wants to give Egypt $450 million in aid
- Obama State Department aide tells reporter to ‘f**k off’
- CA man linked to anti-Muslim film questioned by federal authorities (Video)
- WH denies that Middle East crisis casts doubt on its policies
- Embassy killings and protests prompt MSM, Dems to attack Mitt Romney (Video)
- America 11 years after 9/11: Where we are as a nation (Video)
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation