Green Room

Obama campaign fund-raising appeals become increasingly nasty

posted at 2:12 pm on October 16, 2012 by

Keith Koffler at White House Dossier has been keeping track not only of the blanket fund-raising emails being sent out by the Obama campaign but of their evolving tone. What began as merely gimmicky (a dinner with Obama raffle) metamorphosed some months ago into the weird (the Obama event registry), then weirder (an e-card supposedly penned by a young woman asking to borrow $18K from her mother to pay for birth control).

In the last month the emails have been less an appeal for cash than a demand. It was reported in this space in late September that the campaign had taken to sending out what amounted to official-sounding overdue notices.

Since that time, Koffler writes, the tone of the emails has gotten progressively testier. He publishes one received from Team Obama on Oct. 10 that begins “Listen up.”

The most recent appeal isn’t from the Obama campaign per se but from its leading surrogate. Here is the text:

Keith –

No matter how much you support President Obama, no matter how much you support the smart policies he’s proposing, keep this in mind:

It won’t amount to a hill of beans unless you dig deep and help him win this close race.

Chip in $5 or more right now, before the last and most important FEC fundraising deadline of this campaign:

Thanks for stepping up,

Bill Clinton

None of this should come as any surprise coming from the campaign of a man who declared this past February, “I deserve a second term.”

Not to be outdone by its candidate, the Democratic National Committee is up to its own high jinks with a site designed to look exactly like a page from the Romney-Ryan website inviting you to learn more about the candidate’s plan for cutting “taxes by $5 trillion without raising taxes on the middle class or exploding the deficit.” A button labeled “Get the Details” appears below the text. But when you attempt to click on it, it skitters elusively about the page. It’s a million laughs, though you can be sure if the RNC had created a similar site the cries of racism would be deafening.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can also reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

So bho/team aren’t getting all the small foreign funds they need yet?

Could it be that those who gave to bho last time will be funding R&R this time?
L

letget on October 16, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Thanks for stepping up,

Bill Clinton

This tells me that the empty chair hasn’t paid all of Hillary’s campaign debts yet.

Kissmygrits on October 16, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I signed up for OFA long ago in order to see what they were up to. I too received the email which told me to ‘Listen Up’. However, what I find more ominous is that the last few emails I have received, with increasingly desperate appeals, show the total amount I have contributed to the campaign ($0) and the total I have contributed during this crucial period ($0). I am not all happy and more than a little apprehensive that they are keeping tally like this.
If this petty little man gets elected again, what will his minions do to people like me who haven’t added to his campaign coffers?

maryo on October 16, 2012 at 3:05 PM

If that’s the case, hill/bill better get the money before the election! If hill/bill has anything on bho that could crater him before the election and they think for a minute bho would win without paying them, they are sol? In fact they probably will be sol anyway’s? bho/mo are two of the most selfish people I can think of and they won’t pay anyone for anything!
L

letget on October 16, 2012 at 3:36 PM

It’s not him, it’s you…..

TeresainFortWorth on October 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Keith –

LMAO

The rest of the letter: D-E-S-P-E-R-A-T-I-O-N

Norwegian on October 16, 2012 at 4:18 PM

On the positive side, we’re still about 10 days away from the Obama/Biden ’12 “We know where your wife works. We know where your kids go to school” fundraising letter.

jon1979 on October 16, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Chip in $5 or more right now…

Is Bill asking for money or demanding?

How rude!

vnohara on October 16, 2012 at 8:42 PM

The desperation is getting kind of pathetic. We need to stay on our guard and make sure this election is fair and honest in every precinct.

J.E. Dyer on October 16, 2012 at 11:20 PM