Obama campaign fund-raising appeals become increasingly nasty
posted at 2:12 pm on October 16, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
Keith Koffler at White House Dossier has been keeping track not only of the blanket fund-raising emails being sent out by the Obama campaign but of their evolving tone. What began as merely gimmicky (a dinner with Obama raffle) metamorphosed some months ago into the weird (the Obama event registry), then weirder (an e-card supposedly penned by a young woman asking to borrow $18K from her mother to pay for birth control).
In the last month the emails have been less an appeal for cash than a demand. It was reported in this space in late September that the campaign had taken to sending out what amounted to official-sounding overdue notices.
Since that time, Koffler writes, the tone of the emails has gotten progressively testier. He publishes one received from Team Obama on Oct. 10 that begins “Listen up.”
The most recent appeal isn’t from the Obama campaign per se but from its leading surrogate. Here is the text:
No matter how much you support President Obama, no matter how much you support the smart policies he’s proposing, keep this in mind:
It won’t amount to a hill of beans unless you dig deep and help him win this close race.
Chip in $5 or more right now, before the last and most important FEC fundraising deadline of this campaign:
Thanks for stepping up,
None of this should come as any surprise coming from the campaign of a man who declared this past February, “I deserve a second term.”
Not to be outdone by its candidate, the Democratic National Committee is up to its own high jinks with a site designed to look exactly like a page from the Romney-Ryan website inviting you to learn more about the candidate’s plan for cutting “taxes by $5 trillion without raising taxes on the middle class or exploding the deficit.” A button labeled “Get the Details” appears below the text. But when you attempt to click on it, it skitters elusively about the page. It’s a million laughs, though you can be sure if the RNC had created a similar site the cries of racism would be deafening.
- Obama campaign resorts to tactics used by spammers to raise money
- Obama campaign e-card: ‘Can I borrow $18,000 for birth control’
- Obama campaign urges supporters to send contact info of GOP associates
- The Obama event registry: ‘Ask your wedding guests to give the gift of Obama’
- Do we need a law limiting time sitting president spends in campaign mode?
- Would you spend $3 to have dinner with Obama? (Do I hear $2.50)
- Obama: ‘I deserve a second term’
- Obama campaign to bank on (white) liberal guilt
- To win, Obama needs to get white voters to stay home
- Latest Obama campaign web stunt: ‘Outing’ GOP donors
- A desperation move by the Obama camp leaves many ‘literally’ speechless
- Move over AttackWatch: Obama wants you for his ‘Truth Team’
- Obama new AttackWatch website: Snitches wanted
- Is Obama campaigning on the taxpayer dime—again?
- Obama fund-raising video filmed at WH violates campaign funding laws