Teacher of the Year sexually abuses 17-year-old student
posted at 3:28 pm on October 15, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
It wasn’t just any teacher who forced himself on a 17-year-old student, touching her in her most intimate places and snapping sexually explicit photos of her in a “cage” used for storage. No, it was Raemon Matthews, 57, a nationally acclaimed teacher at Samuel Gompers High School in the Bronx.
New York’s Daily News reports that Matthews pled guilty earlier this year to a misdemeanor for fondling the girl and was barred from teaching. But the full extent of his depravity was not revealed until a member of the school’s maintenance staff recently chanced upon a DVD labeled 300 during a routine cleaning of the classroom. Believing the disk to contain an action movie by that name, the worker inserted it into a DVD player and was shocked to discover its actual contents—photos of a teenage female “in various stages of undress.”
View slideshow: Teacher of the Year turns out to be closet pervert
The worker turned the disk over to school authorities, who in turn contacted the New York City Department of Education. A subsequent investigation revealed that Matthews had coerced the student into posing for nude and semi-nude photos, telling her it was to “attract college recruiters and employers.” He had also fondled her breasts, buttocks, and “private parts,” according to investigators.
When the girl protested after a year of lewd extracurricular activities and said she wanted to stop, Matthews, who is married, reportedly told her, “No Boo-Boo, we’re just getting started.” He also allegedly told the teen that she was in danger of failing and needed extra help.
The female, now 20, told the New York Post she kept the arrangement secret out of fear that Matthews would hurt her. “It was hard for me, it was like a big trauma,” she is quoted as saying. “I didn’t want anybody to know because I was embarrassed.”
Matthews, who taught at the predominantly low-income, minority school since 2000, has been cited in a number of books on effective teaching and was twice named Teacher of the Year. Former U.S. Secretary of Education Rod Paige praised Matthews during a visit to the school in 2002. As a result, Matthews was invited to Washington, D.C, to demonstrate his methods.
He has pleaded guilty to sexual abuse and was sentenced to one year of probation.
- Philadelphia teacher equates student’s Romney T-shirt with KKK sheet
- Police arrest school teacher who made students dress in bras and panties
- Elementary school teacher arrested for tying up and feeding students his semen
- CA teacher will lower grade of any student who says ‘God bless you’
- VA teacher arrested for firing ‘blanks’ in class
- Middle schoolers sunburned on school trip after teacher denies them sunscreen
- Teacher tells 7-year-old she’s ‘too sexy’ for gym class
- Shock video of disabled teen being tortured by ‘teachers’ shown at trial
- School up in arms over student’s mural depicting ‘nuclear family’
- Teen whose teacher said he could be jailed for speaking ill of Obama speaks out
- Teacher tells students they can be arrested for badmouthing Obama
- NYC teacher making $100K in rubber room refuses to retire
- School accuses 6-year-old of sexual assault during schoolyard game of tag
- Word ‘school’ misspelled on crosswalk outside NYC school
Recently in the Green Room: