Giddy libs rejoice over Biden’s verbal flatulence at VP debate
posted at 11:02 am on October 12, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
How hungry were liberal pundits for a Democrat-led thumping in the vice presidential debate that would answer the one President Obama received at the hands of Mitt Romney? So much so that “Joltin’ Joe,” as Politico’s Roger Simon called Vice President Joe Biden, should send a case of “whatever [he] was drinking Thursday night” to Obama. “Biden wiped the floor with Paul Ryan at Thursday night’s debate,” an equally gleeful Joan Walsh declared at Salon. All around the liberal blogosphere, a collective sigh of relief is being heaved. All the Dems need to do now is sit back and wait for the president’s head-to-head poll numbers, which have fallen 3 point since his debate with Biden, to creep back up to “normal.”
Sure, the praise for Biden is tempered with concerns that he might have been a little too animated. A little? When he wasn’t bellowing or rudely interrupting or throwing his hands up in the air in exasperation, he was affecting an imbecilic laugh and goofily grinning, as though his opponent and likely better by 40 IQ points had just committed the most blatant rookie error ever. All of these style points are in evidence in this video excerpt beginning at 1:18.
So how did Biden, a veteran debater and “expert” on foreign affairs, do in terms of substance? The most optimistic thing that can be said for him is that sometimes he got his facts right, though not often.
On perhaps the most important topic of the evening—the Benghazi embassy attack on September 11—he just plain lied. He stated outright that the initial White House claim that the attack was a reaction to an anti-Muslim video was based on “what we were told by the intelligence community.” The Daily Beast, however, acknowledged that U.S. intelligence officials knew within 24 hours that the attack was an act of terrorism and that the White House was apprised soon after. The fact that the administration insisted for more than a week that the storming of the compound had been a spontaneous mob reaction to the video was clearly politicized because they knew the true narrative would expose cracks in Obama’s vaunted Middle East policy.
Biden also told a half-truth at best when he claimed “we weren’t told they wanted more security there.” Maybe Biden wasn’t told, but the State Department was certainly in receipt of communications from Ambassador Chris Stevens, according to ABC News.
Several conservative commentators, including Fred Barnes of The Weekly Standard and Toby Harnden of the Mail Online, found a parallel between Biden’s obnoxious behavior and Al Gore’s in 2000 when, Barnes writes, “he sighed and frowned and acted frustrated.” Brash inappropriate laughter and a boorish demeanor may play big among Obama diehards, who also relish the president’s one-line zingers on the campaign when he has nothing substantive to say about his opponents. Whether Biden’s antics will win back any independents will be known in 26 days.
- As Romney’s lead in the polls widens, libs slip further into funk
- Dems are pinning hopes of blunting Romney momentum on Joe Biden?
- Will there be race riots if Obama loses?
- Obama agrees to no-holds-barred interview with Nickelodeon
- Obama adviser tells CNN ‘People’ magazine as ‘important’ as WH press corps
- Breaking: Romney moves ahead of Obama in poll average by 0.4%
- Obama told he needs to get tough, angry (again)
- Civility alert: Obama supporters issue death threats against Romney
- Romney’s trouncing of Obama in debate sets Gallup record: 52 points
- Now that Debate 1 is history, out come the excuses
- Joe Biden concedes middle class has been ‘buried’ last 4 years
- Obama campaign is OK with Biden’s saying they’ll ‘put y’all back in chains’
- Which candidate has the bigger problem conveying meaning?
- Joe Biden calls Mitt Romney ‘President Romney,’ Obama ‘President Clinton’
Recently in the Green Room:
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 4:1-11
- Rand Paul wins CPAC straw poll
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained