Man dies minutes after winning a pet store’s roach-eating contest
posted at 3:57 pm on October 10, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
Life can be so unfair. Imagine: You fast all day so that you’ll be good and hungry when you take part in a roach-eating contest, then drop dead before you can even claim your prize. Which was a python. Really, really unfair!
The Smoking Gun reports that 32-year-old Edward Archbold collapsed late last Friday after chowing down on “dozens of roaches and worms” during an all-you-can-eat vermin contest. Archbold, shown here in a 2004 police mugshot, had just walked away with top honors in the bug fest sponsored by Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, Fla., when he allowed as how he “wasn’t feeling well and began to regurgitate,” according to the police report. Had he vomited during the contest, he would have been disqualified, but that’s all academic now.
Archbold was taken to an area hospital, when he was later pronounced dead. An autopsy was ordered, but results pinpointing the exact cause of death have yet to be returned.
Just to clarify, these were not gummy worms. They were discoid roaches, which can grow up to three inches long. The contest was part of the store’s October 5 ”Midnight Madness” sale. Contestants had four minutes to see who could put away the most creepy crawlies and live to tell about it. Or not, in Archbold’s case.
The store’s Facebook page ran a eulogy of sorts that stated:
Although we just met Eddie the night of the sale, we all liked him right away. All of us here at Ben Siegel Reptiles are sad that we will not get to know Eddie better, for in the short time we knew him, he was very well liked by all.
As for the disposition of the python he won, the page further notes, “The snake is being held in his name and is full property of his estate.”
- Bugs: The OTHER other white meat
- Squid squirts sperm into restaurant patron’s mouth
- Death row inmate goes out on full stomach, ingests 29,000-calorie last meal
- Chinese investigative journalists mistake sex toy for rare mushroom
- Celebrate spring with urine-soaked eggs, a delicacy in China
- Interactive product, Guitar Pee, converts urinal user into music whiz
- ‘Poo machine’ attracting crowds at Down Under art museum
- New spray causes instantaneous drunkenness followed by instantaneous sobriety
- Oreo ad of baby feeding on exposed breast slips past the censors
- Brazilian trio arrested for making turnovers out of two murder victims
- McDonald’s employee arrested for spitting in customer’s drink
- Customer has heart attack while eating aptly named Triple Bypass Burger
- Prosecutors come down hard on clerk who laced yogurt samples with semen
- Elementary school teacher arrested for tying up and feeding students his semen
- Matsuri’s (I kid you not) Japanese penis festival party: One man’s meat
- White House Task Force on Obesity Report is filled with lies and distortions
- From brassiere to brasserie: “Human” cheese at Klee
Recently in the Green Room: