Green Room

Obama agrees to no-holds-barred interview with Nickelodeon

posted at 2:39 pm on October 9, 2012 by

One of the candidates for president professes to like Big Bird, but when asked to sit down for an interview to be aired on children’s television he proved that he’s really Oscar, the Grouch.

The hard-hitting Hollywood Reporter has the hard-hitting story (h/t Drudge Report). Citing a release from Nickelodeon studios, the piece notes that both major-party candidates were contacted about appearing in a special segment of Nick News With Linda Ellerbee titled “Kids Pick the President: The Candidates.”

Barack Obama alone agreed to a sit-down, which has already been taped at the White House. The Romney camp declined, claiming the candidate was unable to fit the taping into his schedule.

In his segment, which will air on Oct. 18, the president answers questions about gun control, jobs, immigration, same-sex marriage, outsourcing, bullying, and obesity. One might question the appropriateness of including same-sex marriage in a show geared to schoolchildren, but one would be a bigot if he did. October is, after all, LGBT History Month, a time to celebrate the accomplishments of noted L,G,B, and/or T people.

The president was thrown some softballs meant to humanize him, such as a question about his most embarrassing moment. (His answer: “Running into the wall is par for the course for me. I’m running into doors and desks all the time.”)

The extent to which the challenger hurt himself by refusing to appear has yet to be seen, though Oct. 22 will provide some sense of that. On that date Nickelodeon will reveal the results of its Kids’ Vote poll, which has correctly predicted the winner of five of the past six presidential elections.

Romney may have gained some ground in the polls since his commanding performance in the first presidential debate (today’s Real Clear Politics average shows him ahead of Obama for the first time in the election by a margin of 0.4%), but he still lags behind Obama in late-night TV appearances as well as appearances on The View, and Entertainment Tonight.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can also reach me at [email protected].

·         Romney was right: Big Bird needs to find a new nest

·         Obama adviser tells CNN ‘People’ magazine as ‘important’ as WH press corps

·         Obama campaign spokeswoman claims low crowd turnout at rallies is ‘by design’ (Video)

·         Obama hoping to run out the clock till election without press conference

·         Obama campaign is OK with Biden’s saying they’ll ‘put y’all back in chains’

·         Obama has not taken a question from the press in more than two months

·         California passes law mandating teaching of gay history: Now what?

·         Referendum to overturn CA gay history law

·         It’s official: DC Comics IDs gay superhero

·         DOJ upholds transgendered man’s lawsuit over right to use female restrooms

·         DC Comics reveals that major superhero will be coming out of closet

·         Newsweek cover touts Obama as ‘first gay president’

·         Obama was for same-sex marriage before he was against it

A journalist’s guide to neutering the English language

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Yeah, I suppose admitting that failing to appear at a scheduled debate wouldn’t be the best answer to that question. But it would have been the most honest.

Bitter Clinger on October 9, 2012 at 2:51 PM

As the father of two small boys I’ve actually I’ve been thankful that Nickelodeon has really toned down their campaign garbage this year. Four years ago it was wall-to-wall every commercial break. I’m even more glad Romney skipped it. Leave the children alone. When my boys asked me if kids really pick the president I told them “No, not until you’re 18”.

lusir on October 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Linda Ellerbee interviewing Obama?

I fear the kind of “interview” she’d perform on him wouldn’t be suitable for a childrens’ TV station.

mintycrys on October 9, 2012 at 3:05 PM

So, kids tell their parents how to vote now. I am surprised by how very unsurprised I am.

Mary in LA on October 9, 2012 at 3:07 PM

President Barack Hussein Obama is after that 10-13 year old demographic.

Quick! Someone tell Romney to get on Sesame Street for a Q&A with the Muppets — stat!

FlatFoot on October 9, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Wow, Dear Liar is taking on some heavy interviews. Hope it doesn’t interfere with his golf game.

rbj on October 9, 2012 at 3:33 PM

And basically every kid votes for who their parents are going to be voting for. We did a similar excercise in elementary school for the 1976 and 1980 elections. Guess who won? Carter in 1976 and Reagan in 1980.

crazy_legs on October 9, 2012 at 3:34 PM

For the first time in my life, I’m embarrassed about my country…

Mimzey on October 9, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Pathetic. Just pathetic.

totherightofthem on October 9, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Linda Ellerbee interviewing Obama?

mintycrys on October 9, 2012 at 3:05 PM

The irrelevant interviewing the insipid.

squint on October 9, 2012 at 7:27 PM

President Barack Hussein Obama is after that 10-13 year old demographic.

FlatFoot on October 9, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Hey, why not? After all, when they try to vote, we can’t do anything to try to stop them on the grounds that they’re not yet qualified to do so. That would be “voter suppression,” or so I’ve learned from the anti-voter-ID crowd.

Mr. Prodigy on October 9, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Irrelevant? I don’t know, this scene from Rugrats was very similar to MSNBC after the debate.

WeekendAtBernankes on October 9, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Reminds me of that commercial with the little girl asking questions of Ray Lewis at the NFL press conference. “Do you like my dress?” Even Obama couldn’t mess that one up.

J.E. Dyer on October 10, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Obama agrees to no-holds-barred interview with Nickelodeon

Best headline evah!!!

realitycheck on October 10, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Top Pick

“It would be catastrophic if the President were to fire the special counsel.”

“The blockade breached institutional values of freedom of expression and assembly.”

“I hope to encourage them to take personal responsibility…”

“I ain’t serving no police”

“I think a lot of Trump’s voters have as one of their primary objectives just stopping the cultural corruption that’s taking place.”

“Don’t take away my health care or you die.”

“We must all do our best to get rid of this tyrant.”

Rosenstein: Comey broke with DoJ norms on memo leak.

“Nobody has ever accused me of pulling any weapon on them.”

“Fourteen people had stab wounds, cuts and bruises, with two of the injured surviving critical stab wounds.”

Okay… you first.

“We should repeal it and replace, and we shouldn’t leave town until this is complete.”

“He feels like he is being thrown under the bus …”

“McCain has always been a fighter”

Ed Morrissey Jul 20, 2017 8:41 AM

“Cancer doesn’t know what it’s up against.”

They may be on to something

How capitalism averted the bee-pocalypse

John Sexton Jul 19, 2017 9:31 PM

“there are more honeybee colonies in the country today than in nearly 25 years.”

CBO releases estimate on Obamacare repeal

John Sexton Jul 19, 2017 8:31 PM

“The number of people who are uninsured would increase by 17 million in 2018, compared with the number under current law.”

Kasich: Fix Obamacare with more spending

Jason Hart Jul 19, 2017 8:01 PM

Ohio Gov. John Kasich wants Congress to “fix” Obamacare’s insurance exchanges with more federal spending

“This is a momentous decision.”

“One was told that she—her skin was too light and that she needed to listen to people of darker colored skin…”

Disruptor?

Time off without pay for play

The new DOJ guidelines on asset forfeiture are obscene

Taylor Millard Jul 19, 2017 5:01 PM

Guilty until proven innocent.

“We’re just wondering what happened there.”

“This is an attempt at a political intervention.”

The blame game

“Inaction is not an option.”

“You have no feelings. You Christians are all racists.”