Obama agrees to no-holds-barred interview with Nickelodeon
posted at 2:39 pm on October 9, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
One of the candidates for president professes to like Big Bird, but when asked to sit down for an interview to be aired on children’s television he proved that he’s really Oscar, the Grouch.
The hard-hitting Hollywood Reporter has the hard-hitting story (h/t Drudge Report). Citing a release from Nickelodeon studios, the piece notes that both major-party candidates were contacted about appearing in a special segment of Nick News With Linda Ellerbee titled “Kids Pick the President: The Candidates.”
Barack Obama alone agreed to a sit-down, which has already been taped at the White House. The Romney camp declined, claiming the candidate was unable to fit the taping into his schedule.
In his segment, which will air on Oct. 18, the president answers questions about gun control, jobs, immigration, same-sex marriage, outsourcing, bullying, and obesity. One might question the appropriateness of including same-sex marriage in a show geared to schoolchildren, but one would be a bigot if he did. October is, after all, LGBT History Month, a time to celebrate the accomplishments of noted L,G,B, and/or T people.
The president was thrown some softballs meant to humanize him, such as a question about his most embarrassing moment. (His answer: “Running into the wall is par for the course for me. I’m running into doors and desks all the time.”)
The extent to which the challenger hurt himself by refusing to appear has yet to be seen, though Oct. 22 will provide some sense of that. On that date Nickelodeon will reveal the results of its Kids’ Vote poll, which has correctly predicted the winner of five of the past six presidential elections.
Romney may have gained some ground in the polls since his commanding performance in the first presidential debate (today’s Real Clear Politics average shows him ahead of Obama for the first time in the election by a margin of 0.4%), but he still lags behind Obama in late-night TV appearances as well as appearances on The View, and Entertainment Tonight.
- Romney was right: Big Bird needs to find a new nest
- Obama adviser tells CNN ‘People’ magazine as ‘important’ as WH press corps
- Obama campaign spokeswoman claims low crowd turnout at rallies is ‘by design’ (Video)
- Obama hoping to run out the clock till election without press conference
- Obama campaign is OK with Biden’s saying they’ll ‘put y’all back in chains’
- Obama has not taken a question from the press in more than two months
- California passes law mandating teaching of gay history: Now what?
- Referendum to overturn CA gay history law
- It’s official: DC Comics IDs gay superhero
- DOJ upholds transgendered man’s lawsuit over right to use female restrooms
- DC Comics reveals that major superhero will be coming out of closet
- Newsweek cover touts Obama as ‘first gay president’
- Obama was for same-sex marriage before he was against it
- A journalist’s guide to neutering the English language
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation