Green Room

Obama agrees to no-holds-barred interview with Nickelodeon

posted at 2:39 pm on October 9, 2012 by

One of the candidates for president professes to like Big Bird, but when asked to sit down for an interview to be aired on children’s television he proved that he’s really Oscar, the Grouch.

The hard-hitting Hollywood Reporter has the hard-hitting story (h/t Drudge Report). Citing a release from Nickelodeon studios, the piece notes that both major-party candidates were contacted about appearing in a special segment of Nick News With Linda Ellerbee titled “Kids Pick the President: The Candidates.”

Barack Obama alone agreed to a sit-down, which has already been taped at the White House. The Romney camp declined, claiming the candidate was unable to fit the taping into his schedule.

In his segment, which will air on Oct. 18, the president answers questions about gun control, jobs, immigration, same-sex marriage, outsourcing, bullying, and obesity. One might question the appropriateness of including same-sex marriage in a show geared to schoolchildren, but one would be a bigot if he did. October is, after all, LGBT History Month, a time to celebrate the accomplishments of noted L,G,B, and/or T people.

The president was thrown some softballs meant to humanize him, such as a question about his most embarrassing moment. (His answer: “Running into the wall is par for the course for me. I’m running into doors and desks all the time.”)

The extent to which the challenger hurt himself by refusing to appear has yet to be seen, though Oct. 22 will provide some sense of that. On that date Nickelodeon will reveal the results of its Kids’ Vote poll, which has correctly predicted the winner of five of the past six presidential elections.

Romney may have gained some ground in the polls since his commanding performance in the first presidential debate (today’s Real Clear Politics average shows him ahead of Obama for the first time in the election by a margin of 0.4%), but he still lags behind Obama in late-night TV appearances as well as appearances on The View, and Entertainment Tonight.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can also reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com.

·         Romney was right: Big Bird needs to find a new nest

·         Obama adviser tells CNN ‘People’ magazine as ‘important’ as WH press corps

·         Obama campaign spokeswoman claims low crowd turnout at rallies is ‘by design’ (Video)

·         Obama hoping to run out the clock till election without press conference

·         Obama campaign is OK with Biden’s saying they’ll ‘put y’all back in chains’

·         Obama has not taken a question from the press in more than two months

·         California passes law mandating teaching of gay history: Now what?

·         Referendum to overturn CA gay history law

·         It’s official: DC Comics IDs gay superhero

·         DOJ upholds transgendered man’s lawsuit over right to use female restrooms

·         DC Comics reveals that major superhero will be coming out of closet

·         Newsweek cover touts Obama as ‘first gay president’

·         Obama was for same-sex marriage before he was against it

A journalist’s guide to neutering the English language

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Yeah, I suppose admitting that failing to appear at a scheduled debate wouldn’t be the best answer to that question. But it would have been the most honest.

Bitter Clinger on October 9, 2012 at 2:51 PM

As the father of two small boys I’ve actually I’ve been thankful that Nickelodeon has really toned down their campaign garbage this year. Four years ago it was wall-to-wall every commercial break. I’m even more glad Romney skipped it. Leave the children alone. When my boys asked me if kids really pick the president I told them “No, not until you’re 18″.

lusir on October 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Linda Ellerbee interviewing Obama?

I fear the kind of “interview” she’d perform on him wouldn’t be suitable for a childrens’ TV station.

mintycrys on October 9, 2012 at 3:05 PM

So, kids tell their parents how to vote now. I am surprised by how very unsurprised I am.

Mary in LA on October 9, 2012 at 3:07 PM

President Barack Hussein Obama is after that 10-13 year old demographic.

Quick! Someone tell Romney to get on Sesame Street for a Q&A with the Muppets — stat!

FlatFoot on October 9, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Wow, Dear Liar is taking on some heavy interviews. Hope it doesn’t interfere with his golf game.

rbj on October 9, 2012 at 3:33 PM

And basically every kid votes for who their parents are going to be voting for. We did a similar excercise in elementary school for the 1976 and 1980 elections. Guess who won? Carter in 1976 and Reagan in 1980.

crazy_legs on October 9, 2012 at 3:34 PM

For the first time in my life, I’m embarrassed about my country…

Mimzey on October 9, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Pathetic. Just pathetic.

totherightofthem on October 9, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Linda Ellerbee interviewing Obama?

mintycrys on October 9, 2012 at 3:05 PM

The irrelevant interviewing the insipid.

squint on October 9, 2012 at 7:27 PM

President Barack Hussein Obama is after that 10-13 year old demographic.

FlatFoot on October 9, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Hey, why not? After all, when they try to vote, we can’t do anything to try to stop them on the grounds that they’re not yet qualified to do so. That would be “voter suppression,” or so I’ve learned from the anti-voter-ID crowd.

Mr. Prodigy on October 9, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Irrelevant? I don’t know, this scene from Rugrats was very similar to MSNBC after the debate.

WeekendAtBernankes on October 9, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Reminds me of that commercial with the little girl asking questions of Ray Lewis at the NFL press conference. “Do you like my dress?” Even Obama couldn’t mess that one up.

J.E. Dyer on October 10, 2012 at 12:27 AM