Green Room

EPA encourages youth ‘energy patrols’ to enforce their efficiency standards

posted at 3:38 am on October 9, 2012 by

Besides October being designated Breast Cancer Awareness month, it’s also reserved to educate the public about children’s health.  The EPA is already on the case giving out tips and instruction on how to be healthier and more energy efficient – especially in school.  Penny Starr at CNS News wrote on October 5 that this initiative could be taking a more sinister turn as the EPA is beginning to encourage ‘energy patrols.’

Starr wrote that:

On the website page is a link to a 26-page EPA report entitled, “Sensible Steps to Healthier School Environment.” In the report’s chapter on Energy Efficiency, the EPA presents a box with items to help establish “Energy Efficiency Opportunities for Schools.”

One of the items in the box reads, “Educate students and staff about how their behaviors affect energy use. Some schools have created student energy patrols to monitor and inform others when energy is wasted.”

For example, the Arizona Public School’s website provides information for setting up energy patrols. The website states “emphasize social action through environmental education gives students a chance to do something about environmental problems instead of just hearing about them.”

The APS website says that patrol members can be provided with ID tags, vests and clipboards. Their responsibilities include leaving reminders to better conserve energy in rooms they find that have the lights on but are unoccupied.

In Alabama schools, the energy patrols are described as groups of 10 to 20 students who are tasked with monitoring the school’s energy use.

Government has become so big, especially the regulatory apparatus of the EPA, that they need kids to monitor their school’s energy efficiency.  FORWARD!

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I’m sure the EPA also has a “Sensible Steps to a Healthier Home Environment” that they will either force the kids to take home to their parents, or some of those “IRS” agents hired for Obamacare will swoop down into our private abodes to see if we are turning our lights off.

Brat on October 9, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Am I the only one who thought upon reading this: Hitler Youth?

oldleprechaun on October 9, 2012 at 8:18 AM

oldleprechaun on October 9, 2012 at 8:18 AM

cozmo on October 9, 2012 at 8:35 AM

ICS Reminds you “Seeing IS believing”!

Kids Remember October is Recruitment Month, earn Double Points for reporting a Family Member.

Brenda: Damien, you didn’t have to kill him?!
Damien: Its all part of lifes rich tapestry Brenda, and you better f*&^ing get used to it.

I liked the little quips they put into the Running Man movie, they weren’t in the book, which was a lot grimmer.

orbitalair on October 9, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Am I the only one who thought upon reading this: Hitler Youth?

oldleprechaun on October 9, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Not at all.

MelonCollie on October 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Another thought is this.

What IF, you or I created a “Energy Patrol” rallying a bunch of kids to go around and tell Government Officials to turn off lights, etc???

Would they be branded a ‘gang’, ‘cult’ or ‘militia’???

Why would a response be different just because a Fed Agency does it?

orbitalair on October 9, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Am I the only one who thought upon reading this: Hitler Youth?

oldleprechaun on October 9, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Nope.

John the Libertarian on October 9, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Patrol members!

Do your parents leave on the lights? Do they drive a non Earth friendly vehicle? Does your Dad own a gun and ammo? Do your Parents, brother, sister, Grandfather or Grandmother ever talk about the oppressive White male “Founding Fathers” in complimentary terms?

Just send in their names to AttackWatch.gov and be entered to win a fabulous prizes. The GreenSnitch(TM) with the highest number of confirmed entries could win a virtual “Lunch with Al Gore!”.

Bulletchaser on October 9, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Am I the only one who thought upon reading this: Hitler Youth?

oldleprechaun on October 9, 2012 at 8:18 AM

cozmo on October 9, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Not at all.

MelonCollie on October 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Nope.

John the Libertarian on October 9, 2012 at 8:56 AM

That makes five of us.

Because the government encouraging children to rat out their classmates and parents not for breaking the law, but for opposing or not sufficiently adhering to a certain ideology is something a free society is supposed to accept, right?

JimLennon on October 9, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Despite vast sums of money going towards education, scores keep falling. Yes lets have the youth, our future, spend time and energy on this nonsense! Brilliant! The rest of the world must be laughing at how far we are falling behind.

zap-johnson on October 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Sounds like they are looking to train the next generation of EPA regulators.

yenober on October 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM

What’s the difference between the EPA and the STASI?

None!

Surprise!

TKindred on October 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Why would a response be different just because a Fed Agency does it?

orbitalair on October 9, 2012 at 8:47 AM

You don’t want to get me started, Butch. You could ask that question about a lot of things the federales do. Hell, the list of things government does that would be considered illegal if done by private citizens is LEGION.

gryphon202 on October 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Or, you know, they could just … I don’t know, turn out the lights? This isn’t teaching them to be energy-conscious, it’s teaching them to be nags.

GWB on October 9, 2012 at 9:49 AM

EPA youth?

onomo on October 9, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Outrageous. No way should this be tolerated.

No. Frickin. Way.

petefrt on October 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Am I the only one who thought upon reading this: Hitler Youth?

oldleprechaun on October 9, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I immediately thought of “1984,” where Winston Smith’s neighbor, Parsons, is turned in to the Thought Police by his own children.

CurtZHP on October 9, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Outrageous. No way should this be tolerated.

No. Frickin. Way.

petefrt on October 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM

And yet it is, and here we are. What are you doing to change it?

gryphon202 on October 9, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Snitching on parents at home is next. Watch for it.

petefrt on October 9, 2012 at 9:56 AM

gryphon202 on October 9, 2012 at 9:54 AM

If I had a child in a school that was pulling this crap, I’d be raising hell with everyone from the teacher to the principal to the superintendent to the school board to the city council.

petefrt on October 9, 2012 at 10:00 AM

CurtZHP on October 9, 2012 at 9:54 AM

It’s a prelude to exactly that.

petefrt on October 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM

petefrt on October 9, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Good enough answer for me. I apologize if my original post came across as snippier than I intended.

gryphon202 on October 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Am I the only one who thought upon reading this: Hitler Youth?

oldleprechaun on October 9, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Close. I was thinking Obama’s brownshirt brigade.

Sterling Holobyte on October 9, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Also, why are these kids wandering about, clipboard in hand, instead of sitting in class, where they ought to be, learning Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic?

GWB on October 9, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Am I the only one who thought upon reading this: Hitler Youth?

oldleprechaun on October 9, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Well, my first thought was “Energie-Jugend”, but that amounts to the same thing. :-P

Mary in LA on October 9, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Just did a “contact us” on the APS website thanking them for showing us how much closer to Nazi Germany we’re becoming. Then told them to look up “Hitler Youth”.

@oldleprechaun: also no here. It’s the first thing I thought when I read the headline.

sadatoni on October 9, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Greenshirts

agmartin on October 9, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Snitching on parents at home is next. Watch for it.

petefrt on October 9, 2012 at 9:56 AM

was articles last year (that I cannot find now) that did talk about doing just that.

dmacleo on October 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Couldn’t we just have shock sensors on the kids if they leave a room with a light on?

What if we had cameras that followed their every move that would have face recognition and then we sent the parents a bill for little Tyrone or Britney and their energy sins?

What if we took the offending students and set up some type of competition where they were forced to fight to the death and then allowed to have free energy in their houses for life? What could we call it? “The Light Games”?

Vote the sorry arses out of office that promote this tyranny.

And you know what I don’t want the government telling me I have to wear a seat belt in MY CAR.

Or telling me how much water I can have in my excrement flushing device.

And I don’t want to have my city MANDATE that I can only have trash picked up ONCE A WEEK and RINSE OUT THE PLASTIC BOTTLES and put them in a “recycle” bin. Hey civic dumbarses……are you aware that we have to use WATER (a precious resource) to wash out the bottles to put in your bins?

People should get a metal barrel in their back yard and burn their freaking trash like they did decades ago. And then find the…………must stop……….

:-)

PappyD61 on October 9, 2012 at 7:27 PM

gryphon202 on October 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM

No sweat. I held back ’cause I recognized you as an ally. Thanks, partner.

petefrt on October 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Snitching on parents at home is next. Watch for it.

petefrt on October 9, 2012 at 9:56 AM

dmacleo on October 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Yes, last year, and years before that. Using public school children to snitch/shape their parents has been in the lefty playbook for at least a decade or two that I’m aware of, and probably longer. It’s an agenda they still mostly want to keep out of sight, but it’s lurking there barely below the surface.

petefrt on October 9, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Just think. Western Civilization spent five thousand years trying to get the lights to come on, and within 200, they’ve decided to train students to shut the damn things off.

winoceros on October 10, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Keep your kids out of the public schools.

J.E. Dyer on October 11, 2012 at 11:33 PM