Philadelphia teacher equates student’s Romney T-shirt with KKK sheet
posted at 12:10 pm on October 5, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
A Philadelphia high school that normally requires students to wear uniforms initiated a casual dress day on Wednesday. But for one student at Charles Carroll High School, the opportunity to dress down was accompanied by a public dressing down, station KSDK reports.
Samantha Pawlucy, a sophomore, came to school clad in a Romney-Ryan T-shirt. The day passed without incident until she arrived at her geometry class. Her teacher, who is black, became so exercised at the sight of the shirt that she ordered the 16-year-old out of her classroom. When Samantha refused to leave, the teacher told her to remove the shirt, demanding to know whether her parents were (cover your ears) “R*p*blican.” She explained that Carroll High is a “Democratic school” and that wearing a Republican shirt is in her view akin to wearing a KKK shirt.
Still not satisfied that this important lesson had taken, the teacher marched Samantha out into the hallway, where she urged other teachers and students to mock her for her impertinence.
“I was really embarrassed and shocked,” the teen is quoted as saying. “I didn’t think she’d go in the hallway and scream to everyone.”
Samantha told reporters that she had decided to wear the shirt after researching the two major party candidates for president and concluding that she liked Romney’s message better. Her father, Richard Pawlucy, said she was especially interested in Romney’s opposition to partial-birth abortion.
The elder Pawlucy said that his daughter was visibly upset when she returned home after the incident but was initially reluctant to reveal what had happened out of fear of retaliation from the school.
The parents demanded a meeting with the school administration. The teacher, whose name has not been revealed, claimed it was all a joke. The incident is under investigation by the district, which for the time has transferred the teacher to another classroom, where she can inflict her narrow-mindedness and bigotry on a fresh set of youngsters.
The incident is reminiscent of another in May, in which a North Carolina teacher told her class that speaking out against Barack Obama could result in their being imprisoned.
- Teen whose teacher said he could be jailed for speaking ill of Obama speaks out
- Teacher tells students they can be arrested for badmouthing Obama
- Latest Obama campaign web stunt: ‘Outing’ GOP donors
- Gay advocates want NJ teacher fired for anti-gay Facebook postings
- CA teacher will lower grade of any student who says ‘God bless you’
- VA teacher arrested for firing ‘blanks’ in class
- Middle schoolers sunburned on school trip after teacher denies them sunscreen
- Teacher tells 7-year-old she’s ‘too sexy’ for gym class
- Shock video of disabled teen being tortured by ‘teachers’ shown at trial
- School up in arms over student’s mural depicting ‘nuclear family’
- NYC teacher making $100K in rubber room refuses to retire
- School accuses 6-year-old of sexual assault during schoolyard game of tag
- Word ‘school’ misspelled on crosswalk outside NYC school
- Police arrest school teacher who made students dress in bras and panties
- Obama’s autocratic dream (Video)