Obama bored by debate prep; calls it a ‘drag’
posted at 10:56 am on October 2, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
Poor Barack Obama, cooped up indoors and forced to do his “homework” while outside are the trappings of an upscale Las Vegas retreat that looks like a cross between Florence and Pebble Beach. (It’s the Pebble Beach part that obviously prompts the most feet shuffling and whimpering on the part of the commander in chief: all those lush fairways and manicured greens out there and him stuck in here without a golf club anywhere near his hand.)
“They’re making me do my homework,” he groused to a political volunteer during a break from the rigors of preparing for his debate with GOP challenger Mitt on Wednesday, CBS News reports. “They’re keeping me indoors all the time,” he complained, adding, “it’s a drag.”
So laid back and nonchalant is the president that he is not even sure how many days remain until the election. He told campaign volunteers there were 34, only to have them correct him, pointing out that there are 36. “Whatever it is,” he replied, “it’s really coming up quick” and it’s going to be “be close all across the country.”
But his words and actions say otherwise. They betray the conduct of a man who believes that the polls, which currently have him leading nationally and in every battleground state, are carved in stone rather than a snapshot of a frozen moment. They suggest that he sees himself cruising to a victory in November.
The more important question is why his campaign brought the press in to cover him “playing hooky” from his debate prep responsibilities to visit a local campaign office, pizzas in tow. Why show him channeling, or more likely pretending to channel, a petulant school child? The CBS article even carries a well-publicized photo of him appearing to heave a sigh and looking soooo bored as he contemplates the screen of his smart phone (which presumably displays a game of Angry Birds).
The reason is the same one that prompted his communications office to share an official White House image of him apparently playing “show” displaying a mouthful of half-masticated food) with children on the campaign trail. It is to “humanize” the president in the eyes of those who see him as a stuffed shirt with a massive ego and thin skin. It is not to earn their vote. He will get plenty of those from the masses who for whatever reason still adore him. Rather it is to convince those who find his peculiar combination of personality traits as grating a fingernails on a blackboard that he is a lovable guy.
If that is his motivation, he can take to the bank the fact it ain’t gonna happen.
- Obama comments on NFL officiating fiasco an apt assessment of his presidency (Video)
- Is Obama playing ‘show’ with the other kids in this official WH photo?
- Why is Obama holding baseball bat in WH photo of him on phone with Turkish PM?
- Democrats ‘love’ Obama? Really?
- Jay Carney strikes (out) again: Claims Red Sox fans were not booing Obama
- Obama gets booed at fundraiser in Boston after mentioning baseball trade
- Barack Obama is not just cool and funny but macho
- How much will Obama’s unlikeability be a factor in 2012?
- Congressional Black Caucus spokesperson: Calling Obama cool is racist (Update)
- Correction: Obama IS too cool to joke about
- Obama attempting to ‘get his groove back’ with young voters
- ‘Today’ show staff swoons over Obama singing at Apollo Theater
- Where’s Weirdo: Obama’s excellent photo adventure
- A golfing Obama skips one hole to avoid being photographed
- Remember when Obama was too cool to joke about?
- Barack Obama: “funniest person alive”
Recently in the Green Room: