Green Room

Percentage of Americans who trust news media hits new low

posted at 4:51 pm on September 24, 2012 by

A first step to recovering from an addiction, we are told, is admitting there is a problem. The mainstream media have long been addicted to biased reporting—a claim many on the left still vehemently deny—but at least some practitioners of the journalistic trade are refusing to enable them. Recently, when NBC and its cable cousin MSNBC refused initially to air a 1998 video in which then-Illinois state Sen. Barack Obama openly avowed his support for wealth redistribution, the Washington Post reported on their reticence.

A new Gallup poll suggests the American public has also gotten wise to the MSM’s double standard. Although the numbers by and large show the same general level of distrust as a Gallup survey conducted last year, one new finding an all-time low in respondents who trust the mass media, including newspapers, TV, and radio, to report “the news fully, accurately, and fairly.” Only 8% say they have a “great deal” of trust in the media, while 32% say they have a “fair amount” of trust.

On the flip side of the coin, 39% claim they trust the media “not very much,” and another 21% say “not at all.”

The numbers also break down neatly in terms of ideological bent, with 47% saying the news media are too liberal, 36% saying they are just about right, and 13% saying they are too liberal.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can also reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

The question I have to ask, why are these watching/reading news media they have no ‘trust’ in? How about if you don’t like what your are hearing or reading, go online(blogs are great for getting the real truth out if they are on the right) or to get a somewhat unbiased view, go on Fox? Gotta be careful even on Fox?

I suggest HA and GR to give a great view on news to those who haven’t a clue?
L

letget on September 24, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I suggest HA and GR to give a great view on news to those who haven’t a clue?

Letget, on behalf of my colleagues here, I thank you.

Howard Portnoy on September 24, 2012 at 5:15 PM

That should probably say 13% say the media are too conservative.

J.S.K. on September 24, 2012 at 5:17 PM

That should probably say 13% say the media are too conservative.

Indeed it should. Thank you for pointing that out.

Howard Portnoy on September 24, 2012 at 5:32 PM

13 % who think the media leans right is about the same amount who think the moon landing was faked

gsherin on September 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Only 8% say they have a “great deal” of trust in the media

I have a great deal of trust in traditional media outlets like the New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, MSNBC, etc.

I trust that they will lie to me.

malclave on September 24, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I trust that they will lie to me.

malclave on September 24, 2012 at 7:40 PM

airmonkey on September 24, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I degreed in Journalism at both the BA and MS level shortly post-Watergate, and the smell of conservative blood in the water was palpable. It was Woodward and Bernstein on steroids.

Years after Nixon resigned, J-profs were still virulently anti-Republican… and students were convinced that — out of love for their craft and their country — J-grads had to make sure conservatives warranted extreme scrutiny. Facts didn’t matter: sharply-pointed attacks on GOPers are all that count.

VastRightWingConspirator on September 24, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Letget…..Drudge and RCP are great aggregators, choose what you wish . AoSHQ rocks……

t on September 24, 2012 at 11:10 PM