Green Room

Cat taken to vet for flea bath is mistakenly euthanized

posted at 12:11 pm on September 23, 2012 by

It wasn’t curiosity that killed an an 8-year-old cat in Gardner, Mass., but negligence.

The Telegram & Gazette of Worcester reports that Colleen Conlon asked her adult son Jesse to take her two cats to the Broadway Animal Hospital last week for a flea bath last week. Jesse took the 8-year-old, named Lady, to the clinic first. There, according to Conlon, he was asked to “fill out some paperwork; he said they were like index cards which had basic pet information.” He then headed home to retrieve Lady’s four-legged sister, Little Bit.

But he was taken aback when upon his return to the hospital he was asked if he wanted “the bodies.”

It was only then that Jesse discovered the clinic had initially handed him the wrong forms. By signing them, he had inadvertently authorized the vet to euthanize Lady. “At first he thought it was some cruel joke,” Conlon grimly notes.

The loss of Lady is a hardship for Colleen Colon. The cat had belonged to her daughter, who died in a car accident in 2010.

Conlon says she doesn’t believe there was “malicious intent” on the part of the clinic but has filed a complaint with the state attorney general’s office.

Records, meanwhile, show that Muhammad Malik, the vet who runs the clinic, was placed on probation by the state in 2005 as the result of unsatisfactory treatment he provided for an injured dog. He did not comply with the standards in place, according to the state’s website, and had to attend 25 hours of continuing education in radiology and orthopedics before his license was reinstated.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can also reach me at[email protected].

Recently in the Green Room: