Obama: ‘I pretend I’m going to work’ and ‘switch on Homeland’
posted at 2:41 pm on September 17, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
Full confession: I am not familiar with the Showtime series Homeland. Then again, I am not president of the United States, so I suppose I don’t have to be.
This is not suggest that watching any particular television drama is part of the job description of commander-in-chief but rather that the current holder of that position offered up this interesting anecdote recorded by the New York Times:
While Michelle and the two girls go play tennis on Saturday afternoons, I go in the Oval Office, pretend I’m going to work, and then I switch on ‘Homeland.’
The source of the quote is Damian Lewis, who appears in the series. Lewis claims that Obama confided this dirty little secret to him at a state dinner last spring.
Which is more disturbing?
1) That Obama ‘pretends he’s going to work’ on Saturdays and watches ‘Homeland’?
2) That Obama finds Manchurian Candidate-style POWs-turned-terrorists to be plausible?
I hope the president wasn’t scheduled to review intelligence briefings about threats to our embassies and consulates some recent Saturday.
I would like to propose a runner-up for what is disturbing about this anecdote: It is that he still invests so much energy in trying to convince others (and himself) that he is a lovable scamp and not some rancorous, petty, and arrogant little man who takes great pleasure in sniping at those who disagree with him.
- WH denies that Middle East crisis casts doubt on its policies
- Is Obama playing ‘show’ with the other kids in this official WH photo?
- Democrats ‘love’ Obama? Really?
- Why is Obama holding baseball bat in WH photo of him on phone with Turkish PM?
- Jay Carney strikes (out) again: Claims Red Sox fans were not booing Obama
- Obama gets booed at fundraiser in Boston after mentioning baseball trade
- Barack Obama is not just cool and funny but macho
- How much will Obama’s unlikeability be a factor in 2012?
- Correction: Obama IS too cool to joke about
- Obama attempting to ‘get his groove back’ with young voters
- Where’s Weirdo: Obama’s excellent photo adventure
- Obama needs to prompt audience at campaign event to ‘go ahead and clap’
- A golfing Obama skips one hole to avoid being photographed
- Remember when Obama was too cool to joke about?
- Barack Obama: “funniest person alive”
Recently in the Green Room: