Green Room

Utah mom toilet trains her tots at a table in a restaurant

posted at 2:25 pm on September 5, 2012 by

Those looking for the upside to the story could argue that the mother was the very picture of efficiency, killing two birds with one stone. Unfortunately, only one of those birds—eating lunch in a restaurant with your toddlers—is socially acceptable. The other—potty training them right at the table—is widely frowned upon.

CBS Las Vegas reports that Kimberly Decker, a customer at the Thanksgiving Point Deli in the town of Lehi, Utah, was enjoying her own lunch until she happened to catch a glimpse (or was it a whiff?) of the goings-on at a nearby table. Decker posted on her blog:

While we sat down to have lunch, I noticed this young Mother was potty training her two twin daughters at the table. It didn’t quite register at first what was happening, but when I took a second glance I realized this is NOT OK! I decided to snap a picture of the whole incident and then later that afternoon as a ‘joke’ I decided to post it on Facebook. I couldn’t believe the response I got.

Decker, who has three small children of her own, one of whom just finished potty training, initially assumed the twins were sitting on booster seats. Then she caught a glimpse of a naked baby butt.

View slideshow: The world is my restroom

“She had to undo the jumpsuits, and take them all the way down so they were completely nude, with the jumpsuits down to their ankles just eating their chicken nuggets, sitting on little toddler potties,” Decker told station KSL-TV, which picked up the story (video report here).

A spokeswoman for the restaurant with the remarkably apt name of Erica Brown told the station that the managed received several complaints over the incident. “I think state and local health codes were probably an issue, as well as just social norms,” she said.

The identities of the mother and children have not been revealed.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can also reach me at [email protected].

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

So now restaurants must place signs at the entrance stating:

Potty training in the dining area is forbidden

listens2glenn on September 5, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Future ows doing their thing on police cars?

What in the world was mom thinking? WHAT? Take the kid to the bathroom or leave them home.

This thing stinks and bad for those eating!
L

letget on September 5, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Well that’s a load of crap. (couldnt resist)

Imrahil on September 5, 2012 at 7:38 PM

That’s just really disgusting.

magicbeans on September 5, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Anyone doubt that the mom is a Democrat?

AZCoyote on September 6, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Oh my. The unsanitariness of this …. But, what about the idea of having your little kids naked in public? This is what happens when you stop having dress codes.
“I’m sorry, miss, but I’m going to have to insist on you clothing your children.”
“You’re just discriminating against us!”

On a practical level… how in the world does this potty-train them? Doesn’t this teach them they can poop whenever/wherever they want? Rather than the I-feel-the-urge-so-I-need-to-get-Mommy-to-take-me-to-the-restroom concept?

Imrahil on September 5, 2012 at 7:38 PM

GWB on September 6, 2012 at 9:07 AM

The mother’s repulsive actions aside, taking pictures of a strangers’ naked kids is probably not a good idea.

DrAllecon on September 6, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Top Pick

No extra beatings required, thanks

A “”massive, massive f*** up…”

This is totally amazing!

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!