Green Room

No, the American voters are not idiots

posted at 7:45 pm on August 30, 2012 by

I watched the comments unfold over at my colleague J.E. Dyer’s post with a mixture of confusion and disgust. “Are the American voters idiots?”, she asks. The responses are overwhelmingly “yes”, with a few exceptions. I sit mildly stunned, though only mildly. Sad to say that I have seen this creature infecting the opinions of my fellow conservatives over the last few years, and it has kept me continually shaking my head.

Let’s talk, for a minute, about one of the key differences between a liberal and a conservative.

Your modern liberal believes you to be an ignorant child. You don’t know how to do anything properly on your own. You can’t spend your money properly, you don’t eat the proper foods, you’re keeping dangerous guns in your home or on your person, you’re not driving the right kind of car, you believe in patriarchal fairy tales, and most importantly, you think all the wrong things. You’re a stupid racist, even if you don’t know it. You’re not smart enough to grasp the intricacies of health care, immigration, or even the size of a soda. That’s why government needs to take care of all these things for you. You just sit back, vote for the Democratic Party without question, keep hating the rich, and keep handing over your paycheck in taxes so that we can pay for all these things. Well, we’re not actually paying for most of them. We’re just racking up debt to pay for them. Don’t worry about the debt, though. It’s a big number, and you’re too much of an idiot to understand the implications.

Your modern conservative, supposedly, believes you to be an individual. You know best how to make decisions in your life. You know best where your money ought to go. Should some of it go to the government to help it run? Of course…as long as that government is using your money in a responsible, sensible manner. If government is spending like it’s going out of style, then they first need to cut some of it before they demand that you pony up for their recklessness. While they’re at it, they need to remember that this nation is made up of sovereign states, and those states retain certain powers in order to serve their own interests. It’s a concept called “states’ rights”, and it’s a crucial part of the way this country was founded. We don’t need an all-powerful group of elitists telling us what to do, and how we should live. We are intelligent, hard-working individuals with the right to make our own decisions about what is best for our families and our lives.

…but you wouldn’t know that after eight years of being told that we were complete idiots to elect George W. Bush into office twice. Remember this?

Of course you do. You remember because it pissed you off. You remember thinking, “Who the hell do a bunch of subjects of the king, monitored every minute of every day by their masters who quiver once a Muslim so much as coughs in their direction, think they’re calling ‘dumb’?” Then you heard lefties all over America chime in, talking about how right those Brits were. Hey, only dumb people would vote for such a dumb war criminal for president! But then, we knew they were dumb to begin with. They cling to religion. They’re inbred rednecks. They don’t have proper education, especially since they have the gall not to believe that global warming is going to kill us all.

And then, one day…America got “Change”. Imagine that. After eight years of being told they were idiots, they were told they could redeem their idiocy by voting for the first black president, because that’s totally not racist at its roots. Yes. Those people who had listened to conservatives twice in a row then listened to liberals, and why wouldn’t they? We were heading into economic freefall, and the GOP had just signed a nice big bailout of hundreds of billions of dollars. Jobs were being lost, and the stock market was diving. So, the GOP brought out…John McCain. Was it any wonder that the American electorate was underwhelmed? The alternative was this young, charismatic, handsome man who said he could take Washington in a new direction.

So, they voted for him.

And, it appears…deep down, some “conservatives” thought exactly what was on the cover of the Daily Mirror posted above. Full circle. They could not see that, all of a sudden, they had become the very people they rightly despised. Now, as we stand on the precipice of either another Obama administration, or his ouster, it seems those deep-seated sentiments have boiled over. If the responses to Dyer’s question can be taken as a microcosm of Hot Air as a whole — or indeed, of conservatism as a whole — then it is a sad reflection of just how low we can sink.

So what? The American people are idiots when they vote for someone we disagree with, but not idiots when they vote the other way? Interesting how that’s the criterion for determining the collective intelligence of a nation, especially given that, historically, there have only been two real options. I repeat: the reasoning I just stated has long been the tool of the Left, who inherently believe in the stupidity of the masses. They are people who believe themselves to be intellectually and morally superior on all things. They see themselves as the wise ones, passing on their brilliance to the poor, empty-headed rubes who surround them. These people are called elitists.

Now, apparently…conservatives have formed their own elitist groupthink. Now, I’ve been noting this for some time, particularly with respect to figures such as Sarah Palin, or issues such as immigration. However, those elitists were typically of the David Brooks/Frum variety, claiming their arrogant condescension was a way to strengthen the GOP through the abolishing of conservative influence. In the Dyer comments, however, were many people I consider strong, clear-headed conservatives. Those strong, clear-headed conservatives were espousing some of the most anti-American inclinations I’ve ever seen from the Right.

Folks, let me remind you of something: we live in a world that is now inundated with data, (mis)information, and distractions. Never before in our history has our populace been so regularly bombarded with so many ideas and opinions. However, not all of that stimuli has been political. We’ve got jobs, and for many people, they have come to dominate our lives. We have relationships, hobbies, interests, and other ways in which we spend our time. We now have more options to fritter away our lives than ever. The vast majority of people do not have the time to pay as much attention to political issues or the State of the Union as much as we do.

And that’s not a fault, nor a flaw, nor a failing on their part. It’s no more a failing than when a car junkie rattles off the specs of the latest Mustang, and your eyes glaze over. It’s no more a flaw than when a music junkie can’t stop talking about the latest bluegrass sensation, and you’re ordering chasers with your beers in the hopes that intoxication will allow you to better feign interest.

America is a country made up of good, solid, thoughtful people, with some exceptions. Folks, I live in goddamned Madison, Wisconsin. I’m surrounded by some of the most pretentious, insufferable, self-absorbed people in the nation. Trust me, if the rest of the Republic were made up of these yo-yos, I’d have either moved or drunk myself to alcohol poisoning long ago. Yet, even in this town, I’ve found myself talking to one or more people, arguing a conservative viewpoint, and their response is simply “I never thought of it that way, but you have a point”.

This is how most Americans are. Just because they don’t devour Drudge on a daily basis doesn’t mean they are idiots. It means they haven’t found one of you to explain the intricacies of whatever issue is on the docket, or the merits of whatever candidate you support. Americans are intelligent, compassionate individuals who, you’ll forget, have voted more for Republicans than they have for Democrats in the last few decades. Don’t dismiss them as the Left so casually does. Talk to them. Give them food for thought. I truly believe that most people in this country, given the chance to chew over the choice between progressivism and conservatism, will pick the ideology of Reagan. Will there be lulls, especially after a “conservative” president “sacrificed free market principles to save the economy”? Of course. And after the American people have suffered under the auspices of collectivist policy, it will never take them long to remember what it was like, just a few years before.

I leave you with a bit of wisdom from Michael Caine:

Bruce Wayne: What have I done, Alfred? Everything my family… my father built…
Alfred Pennyworth: The Wayne legacy is more than bricks and mortar, sir.
Bruce Wayne: I wanted to save Gotham, I failed
Alfred Pennyworth: Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up
Bruce Wayne: You still haven’t given up on me?
Alfred Pennyworth: Never

Give up, or go home, folks. What will you do?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Ugh.

Give up, or go homeon, folks.

I, on the other hand, am an idiot.

MadisonConservative on August 30, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Voters who claim to want fiscal sanity, limited government, freedom, etc., yet cheerlead and vote for people like Bush or Santorum or Romney or Ryan, and then attack anyone who points out the inconsistency, are idiots.

The answer is yes, American voters are idiots.

Dante on August 30, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I wholeheartedly disagree, Mad Con.

The real long-term danger to America and the rest of the Free-World is not Barack Hussein Obama but an American electorate capable of entrusting a person of strictly unknown quantity with the Presidency as well as the leadership of the entire Free-World.

An abundance of America’s problems are much deeper and far more serious than just a President Barack Obama. It will certainly be far easier to limit and undo the follies of the Obama Presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a person for their President.

Blaming the Prince of Fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince.

The Republic can survive a Barack Obama. It is far less likely to survive a vast multitude of fools such as those who made someone like him our President and who even now work feverishly to keep him there.

FlatFoot on August 30, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I don’t think the American voters are idiots, but I think many of them vote for the wrong reason. Bush won as much because of how unlikeable Kerry was than the positions or policies of either of them. Kerry was haughty, pretentious, and came off as elitist. Bush had kept us safe since 9/11.

Americans aren’t idiots, but for a wide array of reasons they’ve stopped paying attention. For many their entire political knowledge comes from a relatively small echo chamber of things they’ve randomly picked up bounced around, like “the GOP is racist.” There’s no evidence, but that’s what their other friends say . . .

So, no, they aren’t idiots, but they definitely don’t put enough work in on the issues. It’s why Romney’s tone of his speech tonight is more important than the issues. He has to make people feel good about him because they are almost afraid of the issues.

PastorJon on August 30, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Most people are idiots. Most Americans are idiots. Damned chimpanzees. Chattering apes.

Seriously.

Most of the time the small percent of us who are not idiots can arrange things so that half of the idiots are on each side, and then those of us who are not idiots are the margin of victory for the side that has things right by accident at the particular moment in history. We control the narrative.

When we can do that well, the electorate is “smart.” When we do it poorly, then the electorate makes a lot of really bad decisions.

The hijacking of the media by the loony left has derailed the usual way of keeping us on track. The narrative is all wrong, and we can’t get the narrative shifted back to where the elites that will do the right thing will be the ones winning the power.

So the chimpanzees rule. Americans are idiots.

This will remain true until the idiot, vile, reprehensible MSM gets marginalized.

fadetogray on August 30, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I think the issue is less that people may be idiots than that they don’t give their vote the seriousness and consideration it deserves. An election shouldn’t be a popularity contest with voters swayed by the latest flashy tv ad. People should take the time to educate themselves on at least some of the issues and make an informed, educated decision.

hopeful on August 30, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Do you know how many Obama voters I asked, but did you read his book?

I will make a deal with you- they aren’t idiots- but most are apathetic about things that can control their lives and terribly naive.. mmkay?

melle1228 on August 30, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Nope I fully support someone’s right to remain blissfully ignorant, but since my life is directly effected by foreign policy decisions I tend to be a little more “savvy” when it comes to certain subjects.

melle1228 on August 30, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I have to agree with apathetic. And ignorant, especially when it comes to history, and most especially when it comes to the Founding and why the Constitution says what it says. But considering how Mark Levin’s books are doing, I guess we’re making progress.

DocinPA on August 30, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Long before Rush called Obama kardashian- I trumpeted the same line. I sadly think it’s not an election about competence, as it is popularity. I hope the election proves me wrong. My Facebook page is littered with friends posting about abortion and tax returns. Perspective is lost.

Bensonofben on August 30, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Bensonofben on August 30, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Just what does “competence” mean? Capability to do what? Questions about “competence” hosed us out of one of the most accomplished presidential prospects ever to decline a run. No, my friend, whoever wins in 2012 will shepherd the decline of America. If Zombie Ronald Reagan came back from the dead, all he could do is shephered the decline of America. With two rounds of QE behind us and a third on the horizon, with a congress that increases the government’s debt limit on a whim and at the snap of a finger, “America” is now nothing more than a precarious ponzi scheme. It’s a house of cards that can not stand. Failure is now mathematically certain.

gryphon202 on August 30, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Most of the time the small percent of us who are not idiots can arrange things so that half of the idiots are on each side, and then those of us who are not idiots are the margin of victory for the side that has things right by accident at the particular moment in history. We control the narrative… fadetogray on August 30, 2012 at 8:38 PM

And you are the very definition of Elitist..

Ace ODale on August 30, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Idiots or not, history shows s that people vote their wallets. Obama is toast in November, and then he will be an absolute terror for the next 3 months.

woodNfish on August 30, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Don’t let the naysayers get you down, MadCon, you’re right.

I have two brothers, whom I love most dearly. One is really into politics like me, and one really isn’t. The thing is my that my politically-minded brother, as much as I love him, is pretty hard left in his thinking. He’s smart, but he’s devoted to the wrong ideals, in my opinion. My other brother is barely political but leans right. He’s not as informed as my other brother but smarter politically in my eyes.

Everyone’s so cynical. Lighten up, people, and have some faith and yes, some hope.

Batman to the Joker : “What were you trying to prove? That deep down, everyone’s as ugly as you? You’re alone!”

thebrokenrattle on August 30, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Sorry, you’re still not getting it. Yes. Yes, a significant percentage of them ARE, in fact, quite idiotic. How much more evidence do you really need?, seriously?

What the hell does it take to get you over this hump beyond what has already been painfully demonstrated?

Midas on August 31, 2012 at 12:16 AM

For the record, I made the case that American voters are not idiots.

J.E. Dyer on August 31, 2012 at 12:16 AM

And you are the very definition of Elitist..

Ace ODale on August 30, 2012 at 9:22 PM

For the record, this doesn’t prove him *wrong*, however. A significant percentage of the populace *are* categorically and undeniably ‘idiots’. Perhaps it’s semantics, but as evidence I provide all popular support for Obama, Reid, Pelosi, Biden, Frank, O’Donnell, DWS, Matthews, Occupy-Movement, California’s government, Bloomberg, Al Gore, Hilary Clinton, rabid environmentalists, and every voter for the Democrat in 08 and 12. Please, provide evidence otherwise if you choose to refute this notion.

Midas on August 31, 2012 at 12:21 AM

For the record, I made the case that American voters are not idiots.

J.E. Dyer on August 31, 2012 at 12:16 AM

For the record, simply saying you made the case is not the same thing as actually doing so.

Midas on August 31, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Midas on August 31, 2012 at 12:22 AM

And for the record, simply saying that a significant percentage of people are idiots does not make it so.

MadisonConservative on August 31, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Not *all* of the American voters are idiots… but there are many. The real question is, how many?

Mr. Prodigy on August 31, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Midas on August 31, 2012 at 12:22 AM

My point, for those who may not have read my post — but read MadCon’s — is that I am not among those who insisted that American voters are idiots. I agree with MadCon that they are not.

Framing the proposition as a question gets lots of traffic. :-)

J.E. Dyer on August 31, 2012 at 12:50 AM

To put simply: The American people are NOT idiots…some are gullible, some are foolish…a few are guilt-ridden…and most that voted for “Hope n Change” wanted exactly that.

But the majority that voted for Obama had forgotten the one thing that makes us unique as a people and as a nation: we don’t need the government to do every damn thing FOR us.

IF the President is re-elected, then no we didn’t learn and the make up test for that lesson will be VERY hard indeed.

If we DID learn, the lesson will STILL be tough, but as a country, we’ve handled worse.

Bring it, November.

BlaxPac on August 31, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Framing the proposition as a question gets lots of traffic. :-)

J.E. Dyer on August 31, 2012 at 12:50 AM

And more traffic for you, as well. I got your check, by the way. ;)

MadisonConservative on August 31, 2012 at 2:12 AM

We have become a nation that approaches politics as if we are sports fans. My team is the best. Anything my team says or does is great. Your team sucks. Anything your team says or does is awful.
We hold our politicians as celebrities. We hero-worship. We vote based upon likability.
Even “conservatives” do this. We look to and place hope and faith in politicians to save what we hold dear. This is exactly the opposite of what we should be doing. We should be approaching our representatives as if they were our servants, held on a tight leash, always ready to yank hard when they veer from the course they should be on.
But that’s not what we “conservatives” do. We fall for same Santa Claus-as-politician garbage the libs do, only hoping for different gifts under the tree.
We settle.
We give in to the machine, and become apathetic.
We gloss over the difficult to hear facts about the Team we have chosen to support. We adulterate ourselves, losing credibility. When the libs say, “why didn’t you clamor about conservative values when Bush was trampling on them?”, we don’t have a valid answer.

What will it take to return this country to conservative values? It will take a clear and distinct choice that the electorate can plainly see. It will take actions that match the rhetoric. Up till now, it’s just been rhetoric.
If we continue to settle for representatives that merely pay lip service to our values, then that clear and distinct voice will not be there, and we will be viewed as weak-kneed hypocritical fools by those that are seeking a place to land on the ideological spectrum.

We conservatives need to get with the program, because WE have been acting like idiots.

jwally on August 31, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Midas on August 31, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Game, set, match

Dante on August 31, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Midas on August 31, 2012 at 12:21 AM

And I’ll include Bush, Rubio, Romney, Ryan, McCain, Dole, Boehner, Palin, McConnell, etc.

Dante on August 31, 2012 at 8:12 AM

A vote for Romney doesn’t preclude the possibility of idiocy dominating the electorate. I maintain that most American voters are idiots irrespective of their political choices.

Do you know how many women have told me they voted for Clinton because he’s good looking?

Numerically, more people voted for Al Gore than George Bush.

So if you don’t like the idea that American voters are “idiots” perhaps you’d prefer to characterize them as superficial, impulsive, callow, and misinformed.

Americans, in 2008, overwhelmingly voted to put a man with no resume and a shady background into the oval office over a military officer / pow / distinguished senator. They did so for reasons of skin color, financial panic, and “change.” Tell me again that American voters aren’t idiots — I could use the laugh this morning. If they vote this clown out of office they’ve either gotten less idiotic or it’s one of those times the broken clock is right.

SAMinVA on August 31, 2012 at 8:23 AM

When I note that our candidates are Romney, the “electable” one, and Pope Jugears the Arrogant, I’m pretty much left to conclude … yep, idiots.

SagebrushPuppet on August 31, 2012 at 9:17 AM

And you are the very definition of Elitist..

Ace ODale on August 30, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Not hardly. You missed my point. Perhaps that was my fault. The elites are mostly idiots, too. They are arguably, on balance, even bigger idiots than the masses since they are even more certain than Joe Sixpack that they know what is going on in people’s lives.

The first step toward wisdom is realizing how little you know. Elites, by their nature, tend to think they know better how to arrange the details. Those of us who are not idiots realize we have to even let the chattering apes make their own decisions, and we have to respect their choices (for their lives), since we have no dependable objective method to figure out who is human and who is just a bipedal primate with language (an “idiot”).

My point was that when things are working well those of us who are not idiots are the margin of victory for those idiot elites who have it right (generally by political accident), for the moment in history.

There is nothing “elite” about the human grocery store checker or car salesman or guy who takes your order at McDonald’s being the balance of power in elections.

fadetogray on August 31, 2012 at 9:32 AM

fadetogray on August 31, 2012 at 9:32 AM

So are you now spitting upon those in humble professions?

MadisonConservative on August 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM

For what it is worth, I completely agree with you, MadCon (and J.E.). My conservatism is informed by my Christianity, and so a love for humanity is central to it. I mean no disrespect to those who actually have the condition… but it has seemed to me that there is a branch of conservatives who act like they have Asperger’s. If that was harsh, I apologize. But, in my opinion, a disdain for your fellow man has no place in conservatism.

RightWay79 on August 31, 2012 at 10:14 AM

So are you now spitting upon those in humble professions?

MadisonConservative on August 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM

???

Are you disagreeing with that part of what I said? Do you seriously believe there is something elitist about those lines of work?

You’re pulling my leg. Right?

fadetogray on August 31, 2012 at 10:24 AM

fadetogray on August 31, 2012 at 10:24 AM

When you said they are not “elite”, I was under the impression you were referring to them as part of the idiots. If I was mistaken, I apologize.

MadisonConservative on August 31, 2012 at 10:29 AM

My conservatism is informed by my understanding of political reality. My love of humanity is independent of my understanding of political reality.

BTW, that does not mean I think you are “wrong.” We just differ.

fadetogray on August 31, 2012 at 10:29 AM

But, in my opinion, a disdain for your fellow man has no place in conservatism.

RightWay79 on August 31, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Precisely.

MadisonConservative on August 31, 2012 at 10:29 AM

If I was mistaken, I apologize.

MadisonConservative on August 31, 2012 at 10:29 AM

You were. Apology not necessary, but accepted.

fadetogray on August 31, 2012 at 10:32 AM

MadCon, you’re comparing apples and oranges. Am I an idiot if I act on knowledge that others don’t have, and they, therefore, think I’m wrong? If I act on a willful lack of knowledge, when others point out that information to me, then I am stupid. This is the difference between that Daily Mirror article and our responses in Dyer’s post. I know nominally smart people who voted for Obama just because he was black, so they could say they had voted for the first black President. That ranks with the Darwin Awards – but on a civilizational scale.

Actually, I *don’t* say “the American voter is stupid.” I tend to say “a vast number of the American voters are stupid.” Obviously there are a goodly percentage who have it together, but there is an equally large number who will vote Socialist/Communist/Fascist every time. The problem is the group in-between trends toward stupidity in their choices – especially in politics. The real question is whether enough of those folks have awakened this time around.

GWB on August 31, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Mad, my concern is not that they’re idiots but ignorant – even some through no fault of their own. It’s long been proven that the vast majority of the media is biased towards liberal democrats, so it never surprises me when the least politically active of my friends is hyperventilating about something a Republican said, even if it’s not true.

No, we Americans are not idiots, and that’s why they have to lie and hide the truth. And while I know libs also said that about us during the Bush years, they could only point to one loan news organization, while we can point to all the rest and every prime time TV show all spewing the same message.

That Republicans continue to win elections is, I believe, only proof that we are a Center-Right nation.

Regardless, Romney is taking a big gamble here that voters are not only not stupid but that they’re willing to sacrifice of themselves in order to do the right thing. I hope he’s right, but it’ll be nice to know either way after the dust settles in November.

Esthier on August 31, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Now, don’t get me wrong… I am all for straight talk and calling a spade a spade. Forced Political Correctness also has no place in conservatism.

However, I feel that labeling people as idiots because they vote the ‘wrong’ way is not constructive (at best… and a dangerous mentality at worst).

I would even go so far as to say that labeling someone an idiot because they make an uninformed decision (or they make their decision for the wrong reasons) is also crossing the line.

RightWay79 on August 31, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Most of the people who vote the right way are idiots, too.

fadetogray on August 31, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Most of the people who vote the right way are idiots, too.

fadetogray on August 31, 2012 at 11:55 AM

So you are an equal-opportunity Hater of Humanity? ;-)

RightWay79 on August 31, 2012 at 12:15 PM

So you are an equal-opportunity Hater of Humanity?

You’ve got me all wrong. I love humanity. Humans are miraculous. I even love the chimpanzees, both the chattering ones who look like us and the hairy ones who walk on their knuckles.

I love dogs, too.

fadetogray on August 31, 2012 at 12:57 PM

for your bumper sticker collection, fadetogray:
Misanthropy (n):
Learning to loathe humanity one stupid voter [driver] at a time

GWB on August 31, 2012 at 3:36 PM

You never love anything if you never see it as it really is. You only love the fantasy you have of what it is.

We have a republic, and not a democracy, because, fortunately, the Founders understood the nature of the mob.

Nevertheless, that’s a pretty funny bumper sticker.

fadetogray on August 31, 2012 at 4:03 PM

When a candidate for public office faces the voters he does not face men of sense; he faces a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas, or even of comprehending any save the most elemental — men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion, and whose dominant emotion is dread of what they cannot understand. So confronted, the candidate must either bark with the pack or be lost… All the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre.”

- H.L. Mencken

Dante on August 31, 2012 at 5:22 PM

fadetogray on August 31, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Yes, fadetogray, I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, the stupid is overtaking the good, and stupid is invariably on the side of evil.

GWB on August 31, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I think you’ve latched onto an empty debate. Yes, American voters can be, and often are, stupid. American voters getting swept up in hope-and-change is a great case-in-point of this.

A government that is of, by, and for the people, if the people are stupid, will unsurprisingly be comprised of stupid people. Stupidity is a universal human condition. Even the brightest inventor can still lock his keys in his car.

Rather than debating whether politicians or individuals are better suited to making decisions, you should focus on the content of those decisions. Was a given policy or decision good or bad? What made it so? That’s a debate far more worth having than one about the structure of a government and a society that is susceptible to stupidity, from top officials to private citizens.

Stoic Patriot on August 31, 2012 at 9:00 PM

This is how the argument has gone for the last century, and we have been losing the argument badly because it always initially looks as though the smart people in the central government know better how to run things.

It is only after the programs and policies and regulations get politically entrenched that the people become aware of the unintended consequences.

fadetogray on September 1, 2012 at 9:04 AM