Green Room

School district reverses decision on deaf student signing name

posted at 12:18 pm on August 29, 2012 by

Three-year-old Hunter Spanjer may be deaf, but the Grand Island (Neb.) Public School district (GIPS) is not. The district—which had decreed that the preschooler would have to change either his name or his “hand signature” because it violates the school’s zero tolerance policy on guns—has heard the voice of the people.

After receiving thousands of angry emails and phone calls, the district has relented. In a statement, a spokesman for the district wrote:

Grand Island Public Schools is not requiring any current student with a hearing impairment to change his or her sign language name. Our mission remains: Every Student, Every Day, a Success!

Brian Spanjer, Hunter’s father, told station 1011, which broke the story, “The encouragement and support is amazing. It’s been more than I could have asked for and it’s been extremely helpful.”

But the celebration over this seeming victory may be premature. The statement from the district also notes:

The school district teaches American Sign Language (‘ASL’) for students with hearing impairments. ASL is recommended by the Nebraska Department of Education and is widely used in the United States. The sign language techniques taught in the school district are consistent with the standards of the Nebraska Department of Education and ASL.

The clear implication seems to be that Hunter, who was taught to sign using S.E.E., short for “Signed Exact English,” will be required to learn ASL, which has fundamental differences.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can also reach me at [email protected].

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

They smelled the tar heating and heard about the chickens being plucked.

cozmo on August 29, 2012 at 12:30 PM

If only some common sense had been rattling around in their brains to begin with, they could have avoided this public shaming.

Bitter Clinger on August 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Not that I love the ADA but Im thinking the schools would be in serious violation and the parents could sue the crap out of them

Rich on August 29, 2012 at 12:48 PM

It should have never been an issue to begin with. I don’t know the drawbacks of teaching two different sign languages, but I believe SEE is better. It seems that the complaints about it are part of that “deaf culture” b.s. Seriously, I’d like to punch those people out.

Blake on August 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM

In other words, he can sign his name but he has to switch to ASL.

I have to wonder if the school district is going to wet their collective panties when Hunter spells out his name. They might believe he’s about to shoot the person next to him when he forms that H.

Wendya on August 29, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Blake on August 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Ugh. Me too. Like those who oppose letting children who can benefit from them having cochlear implants because being deaf is not a disability, it’s a gift and a unique culture.

Shump on August 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I used to live in Grand Island. My daughters, however, were in the G.I. Northwest district (thank God). I love Nebraska and I bleed red for the Huskers. Unfortunately, the poor state only seems to make the news because of the actions of idiots like the GIPS superintendent and school board; or Senator Ben Nelson or former Senator Bob Kerrey.

HoosierStateofMind on August 29, 2012 at 1:06 PM

What I posted on another site:

Update: school backs down.

Amazing what the threat of legal challenges will do for policy. I have a deaf son. I know the high-handedness of some special educators and administrators. This statement from the first local article says volumes:

“We are working with the parents to come to the best solution we can for the child,” said Jack Sheard, Grand Island Public Schools spokesperson.

Translation:

“We (the school district) are working (establishing policy unwelcome by the parents and superseding parental authority) with the parents (who we don’t want to really hear from) to come (to force to accept) to the best solution we can (what “we” the school district decides on) for the child (for political correctness).”

That statement from the school district says volumes. It makes the assumption that the parents don’t know best…the school district does. This is how education operates today.

************************************************
Howard, I appreciate your information on the district wanting to switch from SEE to ASL for this child. That IS a big deal.

ASL is for the Deaf identifying themselves as Deaf first…it’s the language for the Deaf, not hearing folks. A problem with ASL is it uses grammatical structure based on French grammar. If ASL is a deaf child’s first language, it has been shown that reading/writing English is more difficult for that child to master the English language. That is one reason most public school systems adopted SEE or Signed English. It follows English grammatical structures making it easier to acquire reading skills. Most residential state programs use ASL. It’s a huge fight in education.

But just like his name sign, the school system will tell the parents what type of communication is good for their child as indicated in the district’s statement noted above.

This issue of school control doesn’t just concern deaf kids, though….http://www.missourieducationwatchdog.com/2011/06/warning-to-parents-state-knows-your.html

manateespirit on August 29, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Pure CYA at this point.

dentarthurdent on August 29, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Pure CYA at this point.

And only partially CYA at that.

Howard Portnoy on August 29, 2012 at 4:12 PM

And only partially CYA at that.

Howard Portnoy on August 29, 2012 at 4:12 PM

True. And what’s their next step? Outlaw the word “gun” because it violates the weapons policy? Pure PC off the deep end.

dentarthurdent on August 29, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Well, ASL is awfully widespread, so Hunter will be better off knowing it, I think. I’m glad the school district at least backed off on the earlier moronic decision.

J.E. Dyer on August 29, 2012 at 11:57 PM

The kid is three years old, which means it’s the perfect time for him to be learning multiple languages. By all means, let him learn both.

Greg Q on August 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM
Top Pick

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Top Pick

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…