Green Room

AAP: Mutilate Your Sons, It’ll Cost Less

posted at 11:59 pm on August 27, 2012 by

The American Academy of Pediatrics virtually gave the greenlight for genitial mutilation of baby boys in this country.  According to Lindsey Tanner at The Associated Press, in their revised report released today:

The nation’s most influential pediatricians group says the health benefits of circumcision in newborn boys outweigh any risks and insurance companies should pay for it. In its latest policy statement on circumcision, a procedure that has been declining nationwide, the American Academy of Pediatrics moves closer to an endorsement but says the decision should be up to parents. It’s not a verdict from on high, said policy co-author Dr. Andrew Freedman. There’s not a one-size-fits-all-answer. But from a medical standpoint, circumcision’s benefits in reducing risk of disease outweigh its small risks, said Freedman, a pediatric urologist in Los Angeles.

Lizzie Crocker at The Daily Beast also wrote today that:

Dr. Michael Brady, a member of the AAP’s circumcision task force, who allows that by not recognizing procedural health benefits in previous reports, the AAP gave Medicaid the opportunity to decline payment. Now, we’re clearly stating that third-party payers and Medicaid should cover circumcision so that parents aren’t having the decision made for them.  And boy, the newly recognized health benefits are many: for starters, lower risks of men acquiring HIV, genital herpes, HPV, syphilis, penile cancer, and UTIs, in addition to reduced cervical cancers among their female sexual partners. In this respect, the report affirms many national and international scientific studies, including one in 2005 by French and South African researchers who found that male circumcision cuts the risk of HIV infection by up to 60 percent.

Yes, those dreadful STDs, which I heard is incredibly avoidable through safe sex or abstinence. In addition, it should be noted that penile cancer is EXTREMELY rare, with less than 1600 cases this year, of which 310 resulted in a fatality.  In these troubling economic times, it appears the AAP decided to hit the panic button by showing the financial costs of being uncircumcised in America.

As mentioned above, circumcision is on the decline. Only 55% of newborn boys undergo the procedure, which is down from 63% in 1999.   Tanner also wrote that “a recent study projected that declining U.S. circumcision rates could add more than $4 billion in health care costs in coming years because of increased illness and infections.”

The August 27th broadcast of The Today Show continued to spread the panic of being uncircumcised.

Proper Hygiene. Problem Solved.

Again, not a problem if you’re clean

It’s the seat of irresponsibility.  Tanner also mentioned that “the Federal Centers for Disease Control and Convention has estimated circumcision costs range from about $200 to $600 nationwide. Coverage varies among insurers and several states have stopped Medicaid funding for circumcisions.”  Could this be another ploy from doctors to make more money?  When it’s all said and done, circumcision is more of a cosmetic procedure.  It’s an unnecessary dabbling in plastic surgery subsidized by the taxpayers.  However, let’s look at the absurd angle of this debate.

It always amazes me how the most educated people seem to forget that we bath often in this country.  If you’re shown proper hygiene, these problems will seldom be an issue for those who are intact.  If you’re clean and healthy, you should be fine. It’s not that difficult to understand.  It may seem like a no-brainer, but then again this is a country where parents leave their kids to bake to death in cars during the summer.  It’s has become so bad that the U.S. Department of Transportation will begin a campaign to remind parents not to leave their kids to bake in the heat.  It’s officially called the  “Where’s baby? Look before you lock” campaign.

I’m not one to call for a nationwide ban on circumcision.  That could be viewed as unconstitutional since it’s a religious practice held in high regard with Muslims and Jews. However, we should have a fair and balanced debate on this subject.  We shouldn’t talk about how much in medical costs being intact could accumulate or what nasty diseases you contract–when you factor out proper hygiene.  This is a touchy subject and parents should be given all the facts because stupidity is infectious.  When it’s all said and done, if you teach your son to clean himself properly, you can save yourself $200-600.  It’s not that hard of a decision.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

This lede is incredibly irresponsible.

However, we should have a fair and balanced debate on this subject.

You seem incapable or unwilling to do so.

Only 55% of newborn boys undergo the procedure, which is down from 63% in 1999.

AKA a majority.

When it’s all said and done, if you teach your son to clean himself properly, you can save yourself $200-600. It’s not that hard of a decision.

This seems to be a common refrain among advocates against circumcision. It’s ad hominem. Ask your wife, sister or girlfriend if her last yeast infection was caused by being unclean.

What I find odd about you lot is your fervor for foreskin. What benefits are gained by your advocacy? What stake do you have in the issue?

Capitalist Hog on August 28, 2012 at 3:52 AM

$600? Are you meshguga? I paid the mohel $100 for my son’s bris. The mohel set it up and I did the cut. Don’t tell me that I “mutilated” my son unless you’re willing to tell your wife the same when she has your daughters’ ears pierced. Do you tell the pretty blonde at the bakery with those stupid plugs in their earlobes that someone mutilated them? Are plastic surgeons guilty of mutilation?

The attempt to associate male circumcision with female genital mutilation is really beneath this website and I’m deeply disappointed in the editors here. It’s the kind of rhetorical slight of hand that I expect from leftists, not HotAir.

My daughters cried longer and had more obvious discomfort when their ears were pierced than how long my son cried after his circ. Minutes later he was sleeping.

I circumcised my son for religious, not medical, reasons. The hysterical reaction of anti-circ folks is way out of proportion to the topic and leads me to believe that there are a lot of psychological issues at play.

If foreskins are so important to female pleasure, how come dildo and vibrators don’t come with them?

rokemronnie on August 28, 2012 at 5:41 AM

That should be meshuga.

The reason why the term “mutilation” is appropriate for female “circumcision” is because the clitoris is removed, as are the labia sometimes. That makes it rather difficult for the woman to enjoy sex. Circumcised males have 100% sexual functioning.

Now if you want to try and convince me that the foreskin is comparable in function and nerve endings to the clitoris, go ahead and try, but I don’t think you’ll have many men, or women, agree with you.

rokemronnie on August 28, 2012 at 5:47 AM

ummmm, Thanks for the bathing tips!

I guess I missed the part where Conservatives adopted an anti-circumcision bias? You know, substituting the term “mutilation” for “circumcision” is a tactic used by progressives. Maybe you should run a post like this over at the Daily Kos or the Democratic Underground where like minded people blather on about “barbaric mutilation”.

If you hurry, you can help the proggies put an end to other forms of Barbaric Mutilation like exfoliation, brazilians, shaving, facials, nail clipping and the neanderthal practice we call a “hair cut”! All those living human cells senselessly cut off, drastically altering one’s appearance…clearly this mutilation cannot stand!

You state:

[P]arents should be given all the facts because stupidity is infectious.

<~~irony?

Yes it is! So is liberalism…and I can smell that disease from a mile away and you got it…see a doctor.

There are a lot of problems in this country, Circumcision ain’t one of ‘em. And even if it were, the last thing I would want is Big Government being the arbiter of what alleged “facts” should be distributed to alleged “stupid” parents.

Afterseven on August 28, 2012 at 6:23 AM

This is easily the most despicable Hot Air article I have read. What is happening to this site? Fox is no longer conservative, O’Reilly has gone over to the enemy. Now this site. We do not need cretin articles such as this to insult our way of life. There are plenty out there. Losing me….

frizzbee on August 28, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Circumcision should not at all be placed on the same level as female mutilation. As has been pointed out by a commenter, female genital mutilation is designed to remove a female’s ability to enjoy sex.

I, too, am disappointed by this post.

Libby Sternberg on August 28, 2012 at 7:11 AM

If the writer (Matt Vespa) had truly wanted a fair and reasoned debate, he wouldn’t have started his article with this sentence:

zoyclem on August 28, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Wow – Just wow. I normally expect this kind of nonsense from reading the minutes of the Board of Supervisors for the City of San Francisco, not Hot Air.

Equating circumcision with female genital mutilation is utterly ridiculous, as has been noted. The fact that this is even an issue worthy of the hysteria that it generates in progressive circles utterly baffles me.

JFS61 on August 28, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Thank you for simplifying the process I use when choosing what Hot Air posts to read.
If the byline is, “Matt Vespa”, I can safely skip on by, just as if it said “Chris Matthews”, or “Keith Olberman”.

VelvetElvis on August 28, 2012 at 7:53 AM

down twinkles

c4 on August 28, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Matt, you do realize you have lost all credibility, right?
Male circumcision is not the same as female circumcision. You’ve fallen into the marxist trap that X-male = X-female.

Can’t read any of your articles anymore.

Good-bye

rbj on August 28, 2012 at 9:11 AM

“The American Academy of Pediatrics virtually gave the greenlight for genitial mutilation of baby boys in this country.”

zoyclem on August 28, 2012 at 7:45 AM

It’s a safe bet the sheer irony of that went ZOOM!! over his head. As did the correct of “genital”.

whatcat on August 28, 2012 at 10:08 AM

As did the correct of “genital”.
(Correct spelling, that is.)

whatcat on August 28, 2012 at 10:10 AM

rokemronnie on August 28, 2012 at 5:41 AM

I was about to write something to that effect. Thanks for doing it for me!

Mr. Prodigy on August 28, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I dont miss it. I question the motives of any man who claims he does, or who labels men as “mutilated”.

Creeper.

Jeddite on August 28, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I’ve never met a woman who preferred un-”mutilated” male genitalia, and keeping clean down there when uncut requires your kid to play with himself half the day. Furthermore, your poo-pooing of valid statistics overlooks a rather important and horrifying fact: infections and cancer result in REAL mutilation, not the cosmetic improvement you’re so eager to condemn. Tell your 19 year old son he’ll never be able to enjoy intimacy with a woman because YOU thought it was important for him to remain uncut. No thank you. Your attitude strikes me as profoundly selfish.

SteveThomas on August 28, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Mutilation? Really? Do you really miss your foreskin that much? How do you even know you miss it?

Seriously dude, get help. I am not circumcised and wish I was. I shower and clean thoroughly at least once a day, twice if I do sweaty things like sports. I still have had a few yeast infections and feel lucky my ex didn’t give me HPV. Sometimes I wish I had the Dr circumcise me during my vasectomy.

The extra nerve endings mean unless I have frequent sex, I’m overly sensitive and don’t last.

There are pros and cons both ways, but it’s NOT “genital mutilation”. It’s no more mutilation than ear piercing. The other posters are right, use of that word puts you in liberal exaggeration land.

PastorJon on August 28, 2012 at 10:42 AM

So as not to add to the rather long list of things I need to confess at my next confession, I’m just going to say that I agree with all the comments so far, and not tell the author of the post what I think of him. Thinking it is already adding to my list.

God did not instruct people to ‘mutilate’ their children. If the Blessed Mother thought it was good enough for Jesus, then it was good enough for my son.

HotAir is becoming nearly indistinguishable from HuffPo these days, aside from the fiscal aspects. A lot of greedy libertines…Not sure why I keep coming on here giving them hits.

pannw on August 28, 2012 at 10:44 AM

You lost me with your title.

Go pedal this somewhere else.

itsspideyman on August 28, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Wow, I thought I’d somehow ended up on Daily Kos, with the obnoxious (and hyperbolic) headline and the hefty dollop of ad hominem attacks wrapped around an assault on medicine. What’s next, Mr. Vespa? Are you going to shill for homeopathic medicine?

This whole article is a disgrace, and Hot Air should be ashamed to have allowed its publication.

Horologium on August 28, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Who the hell is Matt Vespa, and why was he allowed into the Green Room? When you’re comparing male circumcision to female genital mutilation, your paradigm is so warped as to be bereft of all logic.

MadisonConservative on August 28, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Really says a lot about what Hot Air has become when profanity is enough to get a post pulled(despite the overwhelming agreement of the community on the content), but a profanity-free misleading tract of garbage like this sails through without notice.

MadisonConservative on August 28, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Holy Foreskin Worshipper, Batman!

I don’t have much to add that hasn’t been said already, but I too am pretty much disgusted by this post.

Mr. Vespa, you have every right to feel the way you do… but understand that you are espousing a controversial and fringe point of view.

That’s not to say that choosing not to have your male child circumcised is fringe… rather, your brand of Anti-Circumcision vitriol is what is way out there in left field.

When you hold a view that is also held by both overt and covert anti-semites the world-wide, you may wish to examine your reasoning for holding this view.

RightWay79 on August 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Since when does Hot Air allow troll blogs in The Green Room?

Dude can’t even spell “genital” correctly in his opening.

C’mon.

I call troll.

Meryl Yourish on August 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Creeper.

Jeddite on August 28, 2012 at 10:21 AM

You wouldn’t miss your pinkie if it was cut off at 3 days old, either. And what else would you call cutting off a healthy, functioning body part other than mutilation?

Vespa’s words were incindiary and it’s too bad, because there really is a legitimate debate to be had about circumcision. And this sure as hell wasn’t the way to have it.

DrAllecon on August 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM

UNCLE! first, yes, i apologize that I misspelled “genital” however, i probably focused on the wrong area…what’s the main problem for me is that NOW AAP thinks this procedure should be covered by medicare and in the long run, it’ll be cheaper to be circumcised…for me that’s not a good enough reason

the same debate occurred with women and mammograms concerning costs, medicare coverage and testing…

However, I admit that my tone probably was off putting and NO i’m not a left wing troll from Daily Kos (i.e maybe mutilation wasn’t the best word choice) I wasn’t trying to compare this to female circumcision.

-In short, i probably should have talked more about the savings and medicare…

Matt Vespa on August 28, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Mr. Vespa,

No harm done.
I myself have found my tone getting more and more Coulter-esque in my own blog posts.

Such vitriol is fine for what it is (and fun)… but not really the tone I would like to take. I recently sent a note to my current mayor and town council members that was far nastier than it needed to be. (And we are a small town, so I actually got a friendly and patient response). Maybe it is the time we live in, but I think all of us who post blogs and comments could do more to present our arguments clearly and without (excess) emotion.

In any case, thanks for your mea culpa.

You are correct in that the larger issue at play is worth discussing… especially in terms of who pays for the procedure.

RightWay79 on August 28, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Matt-
I appreciate your attempt to explain, but you didn’t address the main issue that most of these comments raise. What makes you think that you know how to raise a child better than the child’s parents? Whether or not I circumcise my son is a family matter between me, his mom, and God. That you would use the term “mutilate” (in the title no less) to describe such a common and accepted procedure shows that you aren’t willing to have a rational debate about it, but seek to dismiss dissent at the outset.

Komsomoletz on August 28, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Matt, it was not just your inappropriate word choice that made your post, shall we say, less than ideal. You also contradict yourself several times within the post. For example, you say:

However, we should have a fair and balanced debate on this subject. We shouldn’t talk about how much in medical costs being intact could accumulate or what nasty diseases you contract–when you factor out proper hygiene.

And in the very next sentence you say:

This is a touchy subject and parents should be given all the facts because stupidity is infectious.

It’s clear that you are (perhaps irrationally) opposed to circumcision. But it’s even clearer that you are not interested in a debate on the facts and the merits.

Longing4Lincoln on August 28, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I agree with the strongest critics here.

Crap article. Very Kosesque.

avgjo on August 28, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I’ll keep that in mind next time lincoln…passion can do that to a narrative
-but this was more of a fun post…Hot Air readers shouldn’t get TOO invested in it

Matt Vespa on August 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Thank you for your candid assessment, Matt. I agree that this is a bit of an off-the-beaten-path subject for HotAir, but considering the audience, you may as well have announced that you had personally seen Obama turn water into wine. I can only assume that you had knowledge aforethought that this post would go over like a lead balloon.

Longing4Lincoln on August 28, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Two questions:

Its pretty obvious that your problem with circumcision has nothing to do with money. So what exactly is it you find so offensive about the procedure?

And second, who the hell gave you permission to post this rant?

Mahna Mahna on August 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM

You’re obviously invested enough in the topic that you chose to use words like “mutilate”. Methinks there is a bit of projection going on here.

Matt, when you find yourself in a hole, the answer is not to keep digging. You screwed up. Any attempt to mitigate or explain away what you did will only make the hole deeper.

You accuse me of mutilating my son and you think that it’s a “fun” post. You deliberately use hyperbolic language and then pull a “who me?”. That’s disingenuous as hell and again, not worthy of this site.

The financial aspect is irrelevant to me personally because no mohel employed by my family members is going to be paid with Medicare funds, however if your purpose was to have a “fun” discussion of public funding of circumcisions, by injecting intentionally inflammatory language you made that discussion impossible.

rokemronnie on August 28, 2012 at 2:58 PM

..dude, chill out. As you yourself mentioned, its a “religous practice held in high regard”. And what the heck is this kind of post doing on Hotair? I usually only see this kind of anti-circumcision hysteria on left-wing sites, most often as a (poorly-disguised) vector for anti-semitism

AndStatistics on August 28, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Mr Vespa —
In my experience, only two types of people use the word “mutilation” in this context: homosexuals and anti-semites.
Which are you?

Neuro-conservative on August 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM

it was poor word choice…i’m neither
sorry if you were offended

Matt Vespa on August 28, 2012 at 8:27 PM

This “homosexual” also takes strong exception to the terminology he used. Most of the “homosexuals” who use the term are also anti-Semites; witness the witless “Queers for Palestine” idiots, who fail to grasp the simple calculus that fundamentalist Islamic states (such as what Hamas wishes to establish) kill gays with numbing regularity, while Israel is the only state in the whole region with gay-rights protections in place.

it was poor word choice…i’m neither
sorry if you were offended

I would suggest, Mr. Vespa, that you drop the stick and step away from the equine carcass. There really is no defense against the manifest stupidity of this post, and you really ought to talk to TPTB at Hot Air and disappear this post entirely.

Horologium on August 28, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Your choice of wording was indeed wrong in regards to the above quote, as when taken in context with the rest of the blog it implies that parents who circumcise their children are “stupid.” That may have not been what you meant, but it certainly comes across that way.

JFS61 on August 28, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I have to agree with this. I recoil from the sentiments in this post, and I think you should ask it be removed. You clearly have other things to say that you want people to hear. Don’t have them distracted by this piece of utter nonsense.

Libby Sternberg on August 30, 2012 at 8:31 AM

You could start with not equating circumcision with mutilation.

AH_C on August 31, 2012 at 11:15 AM