Green Room

Shame on you, Todd Akin

posted at 8:14 pm on August 21, 2012 by

Today on Dana Loesch’s St. Louis radio program, embattled Missouri Republican nominee for the Senate Rep. Todd Akin rattled off this horrific chain of statements confirming that what the candidate said this weekend was exactly what we all thought he meant:

You know, Dr. Willke has just released a statement and part of his letter, I think he just stated it very clearly. He said, of course Akin never used the word legitimate to refer to the rapist, but to false claims like those made in Roe v. Wade and I think that simplifies it….. There isn’t any legitimate rapist….[I was] making the point that there were people who use false claims, like those that basically created Roe v. Wade.

“False claims.” As a reminder, here’s what Akin told Fox 2 St. Louis’s Charles Jaco on his program broadcast on Sunday:

If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.

“False claims.” Nobody I know is claiming that Akin’s “legitimate” comment was about the attacker. It’s objectionable because “legitimate” was about the victims and their claims. If it’s not “legitimate,” Akin argues, the body won’t react naturally and reject conception. He was trying to impute some blame to victims, and still is.

So, no, Akin didn’t “misspeak.” He was calling swaths of rape victims impregnated by their attackers potential liars. Mr. Akin, don’t tell me, a Missouri Republican, that you meant anything else by your remarks. You didn’t misplace your words, and that makes it so, so much worse. I want Claire McCaskill out as much as anyone, but guess what? I and whole lot of other voters — Republican, Democrat, and not — still want to be able to look at themselves in the mirror after they cast their votes in November.

And I’ll look proudly at myself that day and after. I don’t have to take onto my shoulders the shame you clearly do not feel. I don’t have to accept this. And I will not. Not in my Republican Party. Not in my representative.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Patrick,

What Akin and Willke are referring to is Norma “Roe” McCorvey’s claim in Roe vs. Wade that she was raped which she admitted years later was false. Akin should be ashamed of his stupid statement and most of all, his stubborn refusal to step down even though he is hurting the GOP brand a bit, but NOT this.

thebrokenrattle on August 21, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Shame on you, Todd Akin

Well, that’s kind of harsh doncha’ think?

cozmo on August 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Well, that’s kind of harsh doncha’ think?

cozmo on August 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Patrick Ishmael on August 21, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I don’t have to accept this.

True, I suppose. *shrug*

And I will not.

Ok, don’t. You going to vote for McCaskill instead?

Not in my Republican Party. Not in my representative.

I get the outrage, I just don’t get the feet-stamping. Terrific, you’re incensed, disgusted, etc. Now what? Is it worth letting McCaskill win just to spite Akin? Akin must be shamed and lose at all cost, even if it means potentially no control over the Senate, no repeal of Obamacare, letting Harry Reid work to thwart any conservative agenda set forth by President Romney and the House, etc?

Worth it? Really?

Midas on August 21, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Worth it? Really?

No. That’s why he needs to drop out of the race. Even in the PPP poll he’s been touting, before a single ad has been run about this issue and before the other gaffes he’s going to make, he’s already down with Indies. You can’t win in MO if you lose Indies because R and D basically constitute a similar percentage of the electorate.

joana on August 21, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Even if I lived in MIsery, I mean, Missouri, I would find it hard to vote for Akin after this. There is a fundamental breakdown here of any coherent thought process. I mean even a basic understanding of the world would tell you that there is no way that this could be the case, see, as example, all of the children born of rape in the Sudan, google “Genetic Children of Genghis Khan”, hell, TALK to some rape survivors who did get pregnant.

As for my vote, if I had one in Missouri, write in. Sorry Akin, your overweening pride and inability to think of someone other than yourself makes you unsuitable to be a senator.

MunDane68 on August 21, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Shame on you Patrick Ishmael, for twisting an already admittedly misspoken set of words to give it a new perverse meaning that wasn’t there even when originally spoken.

Even if impolitic to acknowledge, particularly in light of his comments, there are women who lie about rape that were never attacked and you bloody well know that.

Stoic Patriot on August 21, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Regardless of what Akin meant by his remarks (and I salute you, Patrick, for your mind reading abilities), I hope the Missouri rombots who are constantly reminding me to vote against Obama for the good of the country will do the same when it comes to voting against Claire McCaskill.

gryphon202 on August 21, 2012 at 10:55 PM

joana on August 21, 2012 at 9:57 PM

But he’s not dropping out, Joana. It’s going to be Akin or McCaskill, two equally odious choices to my mind. Just like we have two equally odious choices for president. Lesser of two evils at the ballot box really sucks, doesn’t it?

gryphon202 on August 21, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I’ll say it again, Akin’s statements are beyond bizarre.

MrX on August 21, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Gryphon,

President =/= Senator.

Right?

MunDane68 on August 22, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I am an unapologetic biblical Christian pro-lifer with complete disdain for liberal academics in our medical schools (I am a doctor too). I am also all for speaking uncomfortable truths to the powers that be in the liberal elite.

Let me be the first (or 10 millionth) to say that I want Akin out, and I don’t want people like him anywhere near the GOP or the pro-life movement. I would also suggest to my brother in Christ, Mr Akin, that this sort of comment, which clearly derived from ignorance, not a slip of the tongue, does not glorify God.

Our polity is already too full of people who shoot their mouth off about stuff they know nothing about. It’s true that there’s a double standard, but I prefer to call it a higher standard. The GOP should be the party that knows that Guam isn’t going to capsize or that the New Deal didn’t end the Great Depression.

Want to talk abortion, fine. Let’s talk about how 90% of Down’s Syndrome babies are aborted, or about the unique and human genetic makeup of the human embryo, or about how legalized abortion has actually drastically increased the number of children born out of wedlock. The Left is 40 years behind in its rhetoric and knowledge about abortion and we should be cleaning their clock. Instead we get this crap.

Get out now. You think you’re the only pro-life fiscal conservative in Missouri? Like Sarah Palin is some sort of RINO or something? Gimme a break. This is all about you, and you are hurting us.

xuyee on August 22, 2012 at 12:38 AM

He cannot win. All three top finishers in the senate primary were hard-core pro-life. He needs to swallow his ego and go.

alwaysfiredup on August 22, 2012 at 1:11 AM

I, too, want Todd Akin out. He’s too stupid to get elected.

However, there are women who make false claims of rape, the Roe of Roe v. Wade being the most famous example. Alleged sexual assaults in general are prone to false accusations, particularly in divorce and custody disputes. Sad, but true.

WannabeAnglican on August 22, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Er… what? So you don’t think that there are women all the time who lie about being raped? Because it does happen. And anyone here who has worked in a hospital emergency room or in law enforcement will likely back me up. There is most definitely “legitimate rape” and false accusations of rape.

Shump on August 22, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Patrick,

Thank you.

We do not need a combination of Dennis Kucinich and Joe Biden with a touch of Jimmy Swaggart in the Senate.

Claire McCaskill isn’t better.

It is too bad the Republicans and Tea Party people in Missouri are too feckless to either get behind the Libertarian or get a write in candidate.

Joel_The_Oneth on August 22, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Sorry, but I don’t want someone in the Senate who is so profoundly ignorant as to think women’s bodies automatically prevent conception during a rape, and I don’t want someone so stupid as to imply women who DO get pregnant during a rape are lying about being raped.

Akin has to go. Getting rid of McCaskill is important, and Akin is too dumb to get the job done.

Besides, we already have morons like Harry Reid serving in the Senate. We don’t need another IQ-challenged, senile old git in Washington, even if he is on our side of the aisle.

DRayRaven on August 22, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Shump on August 22, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Akin’s a 65 year old man. He knew what he was doing. Do you think that he would have talked about “legitimate”-anything if another crime was involved instead?

Patrick Ishmael on August 22, 2012 at 8:18 AM

The problem is that he made an idiotic statement that is not medically true based on something he vaguely recalled hearing some time ago. He compounded the idiocy by not just admitting that, but trying to explain what he meant.

I heard him on Sean Hannity trying to explain that he had heard that a rape victim would have a lesser chance of becoming pregnant but later found out that it was not true. Bringing in the idea of false claims of rape in order to explain a pregnancy was the idiotic part and should have had nothing to do with the statement.

The idea that the innocent baby should be killed because it was the product of rape is a totally different matter. There are people who are the product of rape and who grow up to become good adults. That is the point that he should have made.

Unfortunately, his idiocy will hurt the actual pro life cause and will allow the abortion of all the children that are not the product of rape.

sabbahillel on August 22, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Patrick Ishmael on August 21, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Man, you are vicious.

cozmo on August 22, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Gryphon,

President =/= Senator.

Right?

MunDane68 on August 22, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Problem is, I think President > Senator. You’d never hear folks in the destrosphere going apeshit over some of the stupidly progressive stuff Mitt has said.

gryphon202 on August 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Patrick Ishmael on August 22, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I can personally attest that there is no better way to destroy a man than with accusations of sexual impropriety. It is a unique crime, and one which particularly lends itself to false accusations.

gryphon202 on August 22, 2012 at 9:03 AM

gryphon202 on August 22, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Akin was talking about how the volition of the victim affects pregnancy, not about the accused. The topic was abortion, not criminal justice.

Patrick Ishmael on August 22, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Akin is doing nothing less than the vast majority of Americans do every election. Do what is in their own PERCEIVED best interest. Look at the number of selfish “conservatives” we have that want to ensure medicare and social security are there for them. They have no care about other people, in particular the future generation that is going to have to pay for their selfish spending ways. Why should Akin sacrifice for the good of the nation when no one else is?

SHAME ON YOU AMERICA! SHAME ON YOU! Akin is a minor player in all this.

astonerii on August 22, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Patrick Ishmael on August 22, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Pardon me for veering. I think you are imputing motives that simply aren’t there. I’m agnostic on the question of whether Akin should drop out. I just wish we could muster the same kind of anger over a presidential candidate who’s spent most of his adult life calling himself “progressive.”

gryphon202 on August 22, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Patrick Ishmael on August 22, 2012 at 9:09 AM

That may be true, but that does not change the fact that it is perfectly, well, legitimate to use the term “legitimate rape” as contrasted with accusations of rape which are not true. I don’t understand how that is trying to impute some blame on the victims, as you say in your article. Anyone who is a victim would have been the victim of a legitimate rape. As opposed to a false charge of rape. I just don’t see what the issue is with that phrasing.

Shump on August 22, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Akin will not only get donations, he’ll get no GOTV volunteers.

Who’s going to spend their time knocking on the door for this guy now?

I may vote for a Republican over any Democrat, but I’m not going to give up my evenings and weekends for a guy like Akin.

NoDonkey on August 22, 2012 at 11:16 AM

MunDane68 on August 21, 2012 at 10:11 PM

On the other hand, he would fit right in with a large percentage of the current occupants of that august body.
Sadly.

VelvetElvis on August 22, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Thank you, Patrick. Well done, and I agree. If I lived in MO, I’m sorry, but I could not vote for this man either. I wouldn’t vote for McCaskill, but I would write in the name of a better candidate, and my conscience would be clear. I used to do this in Vermont instead of voting for Jim Jeffords.

If Akin wanted to discuss the Roe case, he should have done that — intelligently and thoughtfully. His comments indicate he is not intelligent nor thoughtful on this particular issue.

Libby Sternberg

Libby Sternberg on August 22, 2012 at 12:24 PM

The implication of Akin’s statement is that, if a woman becomes pregnant following a “rape,” then she must be lying. That is intolerable. Further, it is also ignorant on a galactic level. History is replete with millions of examples of women becoming pregnant following being raped by invading armies. You don’t even have to go back that far…just look at the Rape of Nanking and the children born to German women, who were raped en masse by the Soviets in the chaotic, final days of WWII in Europe.

Congressman Akin is either ignorant enough to willingly suspend disbelief and buy into truly dubious, crackpot theories or is incapable of basic analysis and evaluation. Either disqualify him for a seat in the Senate…as a Republican…if he wants to become a Democrat and move to Delaware, well…

The most troublesome part of this entire matter is that Mr Akin has demonstrated that he is willing to put his own political ambitions above the interests of the country, his party, and the people of the State of Missouri. Further, he seems blissfully unaware of the absolutely critical nature of this campaign year.

People used to ask questions like “Who lost China?” and “Who lost Iran?” Todd Akin had better hope that he doesn’t become the answer to “Who lost America?” History will not be kind.

Resist We Much on August 22, 2012 at 2:25 PM

This is PRECISELY the meaning of what he said, regardless how he and his apologists try to spin it. This is a discredited theory going back centuries! It is the height of misogyny to believe that rape victims who get pregnant are somehow not really victims.

It is absolutely disgusting and appalling. Even if he gets out of the Senate race, he’s still an embarrassment in the House.

Libby Sternberg on August 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM