Green Room

Get out of the race, Mr. Akin

posted at 4:00 pm on August 20, 2012 by

Dear Mr. Akin:

Please step down as the Republican U.S. Senate Candidate in Missouri.

You might think it presumptuous of me to make this request. I’m not a Missouri voter, after all. But I am a conservative woman. And what you said about rape reveals not just muddled thinking but deep ignorance on many levels. You don’t help conservative women, sir, with such thinking. You hurt us.

As a conservative woman, I’ve fought against the phony “war on women” charges from the left. I’ve defended Sarah Palin, even when some conservative men hemmed and hawed about whether she was really qualified while giving a nod and a wink to lesser pols, who happened to be men.

I’ve defended pro-life positions even though I don’t agree with them on every single abortion policy. I’ve defended the Catholic Church’s stance on the HHS contraception coverage mandate, even though I don’t agree with the Church’s teachings on that issue.

And I’ve done all this as part of the sisterhood of conservative women, who often–I venture to say–feel alone in the battle, unable to count on liberal feminists to champion our right to be heard if we’re not conforming with their reproductive policy stances.

With your statements, you’ve made our battle harder. We can defend conservative issues even if we don’t agree with every policy point, but we can’t defend a conservative man who is so profoundly ignorant of the impact of rape and even the simple biology of conception!

What you said was more than just a verbal stumble. It was indicative of deeper misunderstandings of what women face.

Your Twitter feed suggests you will fight on because we need a “conservative Senate.” Yes, we do, Mr. Akin. Conservative women know this, as well. And we know that you’re not the man to help us get there. Don’t confuse perseverance with egotism. If you truly support conservative values, admit you made a terrible mistake that can’t be shrugged off and step aside for a better candidate. You only received a plurality of the vote in the primary. Surely Missouri Republicans will admire you for the honorable act of withdrawing from the race, and one day, when you are wiser, you can try again.

Sincerely,

Libby Sternberg

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Very well said!

🙂

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on August 20, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I am from Missouri and I ask him to step aside. Defeating the Democrats is much more important than him….

Bogeyfre on August 20, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Axelrod himself couldn’t have written lines that would go over worse. He must be peeing his pants at his good fortune.

How do we know this guy wasn’t paid by the Democrats to say this? And if so, there’s no way he will leave the race until he can do every bit of damage possible.

NoDonkey on August 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Top Pick

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM

Divide and conquer?

You know, I may have cracked the case for you, guys

“They’re still running against her and still winning races.”

“…the suspect is from Quebec and has a Canadian passport.”

When the Left lost their way on immigration

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 2:41 PM

It wasn’t all that long ago, really

“I personally watched some of these students go up to Chief Brown, right up to her face, and call her all kinds of names, cursing at her.”

Did the Queen “nix” a Trump visit to London?

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 12:41 PM

More like wishful thinking on the American left

Sometimes it’s hard. This was the hardest part

Did the polls get the Handel/Ossoff race wrong?

Allahpundit Jun 21, 2017 11:21 AM

Nah.

Physician, heal thyself

Maybe we’ll stay home and watch.