Waitress at Red Lobster attacked for refilling water glasses too often
posted at 4:16 pm on August 18, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
It may be a first in the annals of restaurantdom—customers growing impatient because service was too attentive.
St. Louis TV station KMOV reports that last Friday a waitress at a Red Lobster in Fairview Heights, Ill., was struck in the head by a water glass hurled from behind her by an irate customer.
A diner at a nearby table who witnessed the incident told authorities that a trio of female customers went ballistic after complaining that the server was filling their water glasses too often. When the startled waitress turned around to see what had hit her, one of the customers hauled off and smacked her a second time, across the face with one of the dessert books.
The station reports that restaurant workers and customers detained the assailants until police arrived. All three were arrested. The waitress was treated on the spot by paramedics.
This is the second assault on a member of the wait staff at this restaurant in the past eight months. Last December, four customers became unhinged when a waitress brought the wrong food order to their table. One tossed a drink in the waitress’s face. Then she and her companions proceeded to punch and shove the woman, who suffered cuts to her nose and forehead and a swollen eye. A video of that incident was captured on another customer’s cell phone.
A spokesperson for the Red Lobster chain told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, which also covered Friday’s attack, that the incident was “unfortunate” and that “the safety of our employees and guests is our highest priority.”
- Denny’s customer picks up tab for restaurant full of total strangers
- Olive Garden mistakenly serves booze to a child—again
- Emperor’s-new-clothes alert: First café serving only water opens in NYC
- NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg wants to ban jumbo soft drinks
- Death row inmate goes out on full stomach, ingests 29,000-calorie last meal
- A guy walks into Denny’s … and gets himself arrested for trying to boost a meal
- Video: McDonald’s workers saving 14-month-old choking on fry
- Family of 30-year-old cancer patient grant dying wish, leave $500 tip for pizza
- Customer has heart attack while eating aptly named Triple Bypass Burger
- CA town attempts to ban McDonald’s on religious grounds
- Obese man suing White Castle because booths are “too small”
- Ohio prison system bans pork in response to lawsuit by Muslim death row inmate
- Olive Garden: Displaying American flag might be ‘disruptive’ to diners
- Parents in need of parents: Angry mothers brawl at pre-school graduation
- Video: 9-year-old assaults toddlers in daycare; angry parent inflames situation
- Adults heckle NYC schoolchildren singing patriotic song
- LA restaurant offers discount to diners who relinquish their cell phones
Recently in the Green Room: