Green Room

British schools drop Holocaust from history lessons so as not to offend Muslims

posted at 2:30 pm on August 17, 2012 by

A new report by Britain’s Department for Education and Skills notes that an increasing number of schools are dropping the teaching of the Holocaust from history lessons to avoid offending Muslim students. The report, titled Teaching Emotive and Controversial History, also observes that many teachers are reluctant to discuss the Crusades because the lessons frequently contradict what is taught in local mosques.

It gets worse. The website Family Security Matters (h/t Weasel Zippers) reports:

In an effort to counter ‘Islamophobia’ in British schools, teachers now are required to teach ‘key Muslim contributions such as Algebra and the number zero’ in math and science courses, even though the concept of zero originated in India.

The article further notes that 30 non-Muslim children at an elementary school in Scotland were required to visit a mosque in Glasgow, where they were instructed to recite the shahada, the Islam declaration of faith, which states, “There is no god but Allah and Mohammed is his messenger.” In addition, Muslim leaders are demanding that Islamic preachers be sent to every school in Scotland to teach children about Islam, ostensibly in an effort to counter negative attitudes about Muslims.

In London, 85 of 90 schools have implemented “no pork” policies, reflecting a nationwide trend toward banning pork from lunch menus, all once again to avoid offending Muslim students.

The question that naturally arises is whether any of this same type of bend-over-backward pandering would be taking place had the hijackers who commandeered the four jetliners used as missiles on September 11, 2001 been anything other than Muslim. Taking an alternate hypothesis—that the attacks had been carried out by, say, murderous Zionists—would New York City public schools be mandating the teaching of Hebrew in grades 2 through 5?

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me athoward.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

This is BS that goes back to 2007. The teaching of the Holocaust as part of history is mandatory in British schools.

lexhamfox on August 17, 2012 at 2:40 PM

lexhamfox on August 17, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Actually I am wrong, it is compulsory in English schools.

lexhamfox on August 17, 2012 at 2:46 PM

It is interesting that story linked to, has no links to anything to verify this.

NoDonkey on August 17, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Incremetal Islamification. It will either end in total Islamification or war if people snap out of their haze and begin to fight back.

Islam is the worst species of totalitarianism.

darwin on August 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Agree that a “primary” source with no links to the report it quotes is suspicious. I don’t doubt the report in general, based on previous evidence out of Britain, but you need to back it up from the original Teaching Emotive and Controversial History.

GWB on August 17, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Snopes has a full entry on the hoax and there is a 2007 BBC article about the email chain and follow up action by the MoE.

lexhamfox on August 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Expect the same type of bs here starting in Kalifornia soon.

johnnybgood on August 17, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Hitler was a Muslim?

Bitter Clinger on August 17, 2012 at 3:47 PM

lexhamfox on August 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM

See item 6: https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/RW100.pdf

Howard Portnoy on August 17, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Correction. That’s item 6 in Ch. 4.

Howard Portnoy on August 17, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Howard, did you notice there isn’t a date on that publication? That’s because it’s the same one used in 2008. There isn’t a reference in the Acknowledgements section past 2006. While the section you point out is a good read, this is a bit of necrodemagoguery. Unless the original article can provide more current links to this happening, then meh. Dragging old arguments out and pretending they’re shiny and new and evidence of a worsening condition is actually unhelpful.

lexhamfox on August 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I was going to mention how dated that Snopes article is… then I noticed how dated the source document is.

GWB on August 17, 2012 at 4:27 PM

GWB on August 17, 2012 at 4:27 PM

It is true that the date (which does appear at the UK Dept of Ed website) is March 2007. I am unable to edit copy at Hot Air once it goes live but have eliminated the adjective “new” at my other site.

But at the same time it is false that the article is a hoax or that I was attempting to drag old arguments out and pretend they’re shiny and new.” If anything I was overly trusting of a source (Weasel Zippers), which is usually pretty reliable.

But just so you understand: My goal here is not to play “gotcha” with lexapro (or whatever his silly handle is) who is here exclusively for that purpose. Generally, I ignore him, as do many of the other writers here. If you are here for the same purpose, these will probably be my last acknowledgment of your existence.

Howard Portnoy on August 17, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Howard Portnoy on August 17, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Actually, my point about “shiny and new” was directed at the website which Weasel Zippers linked. Theirs was also the story which had not a single link anywhere in it to verify their claims. I apologize if that wasn’t clear. (And, I see how murky I made it with the reference to “the section you point out” immediately followed by the “necrodemagoguery” bit.)

GWB on August 17, 2012 at 5:01 PM

As for a “hoax”… hmmmm… I might allow that word to be used of the article Weasel Zippers linked, since it appears to claim this is a new and worsening condition, without appropriate evidence. The actual problem is no hoax, though – there really is a pressure in Britain to rid itself of anything the Islamofascists might find offensive. Islamofascists are bullies, and this is how bullies operate.

GWB on August 17, 2012 at 5:05 PM

i have a hard time believing most of this story is true. even in our politically correct world, still, some of this seems too crazy to be true!

Sachiko on August 17, 2012 at 5:06 PM

GWB on August 17, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Thank you clarifying. In general, I shy away from sources like the one WZ links to. When there’s a primary source involved, I will never go ahead with a piece unless I can link to the source directly, which I did here but even then I missed the date. That one is my bad.

Howard Portnoy on August 17, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Don’t worry my British Cousins, they’ll teach YOU about the holocaust in about 25 years.

Enjoy your socialism.

harlekwin15 on August 17, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Howard, I read item 6, and I don’t see how it in the least supports what you’re saying. Give it up. This is an old hoax and it’s been debunked for years.

Hey, I fell for the naked paintball hoax, years back.

Meryl Yourish on August 17, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Meryl Yourish on August 17, 2012 at 5:28 PM

So you read this—”For example, a history department in a northern city recently avoided selecting the Holocaust as a topic for GCSE coursework for fear of confronting anti-Semitic sentiment and Holocaust denial among some Muslim pupils”—and you still maintain it doesn’t support my claim? Fascinating.

Howard Portnoy on August 17, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I am offended. Nothing in the post about boobies.

Come on, Howard. Yer not tryin hard enough . . .

BigAlSouth on August 17, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Howard Portnoy on August 17, 2012 at 5:42 PM

So you have a single incident with no specifics other than the fact that it was regarding GCSE coursework, not total historical curriculum for a school system.

Seriously, Howard…come on. You got punk’d. It happens.

MadisonConservative on August 17, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Ouch, I haven’t seen a crash and burn like this since…Danika Patrick got behind the wheel. I’m going to grab some popcorn now and eagerly wait to see what turn Howard’s next reply will take. Go get ‘em Howard.

weathermen on August 17, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Schools are the battleground over anti-Semitism, and teachers complain that the government has done little, despite many proposals.

“The minister of education has done nothing,” said Jean-Pierre Obin, an inspector general of education in France, who wrote a report in 2004 that called anti-Semitism “ubiquitous” in the 61 schools surveyed. “He prefers not to talk about it.”

Mr. Obin wrote in the report of “a stupefying and cruel reality: in France, Jewish children — and they are alone in this case — can no longer be educated in just any school.”

golembythehudson on August 17, 2012 at 10:02 PM

in france it is even worse, Jewish children can no longer attend public schools as they are viciously beaten and persecuted. That is why they are sent to private Jewish schools similar to the one that Mohhamad Merrah killed several children at:

Some teachers simply gloss over subjects likely to elicit anti-Semitic responses. Ms. Lefèbvre said she knows teachers who even show fictional films, like Roberto Benigni’s “Life Is Beautiful,” instead of treating the Holocaust directly.

i have read numerous articles about this situation occurring in the UK, the Education minister mentioned in the times article put out a detailed report regarding the above mentioned subject:

golembythehudson on August 17, 2012 at 10:09 PM

and the above mentioned article was from 6 years ago, it has gotten much worse, mohhomad merah was probably in one of those schools mentioned in the times piece before he dropped out to pursue a life of drugs, criminal activity and eventually the murder of Jewish children

golembythehudson on August 17, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Howard, first of all, that wasn’t the section I looked through. I looked through section 6, not item 4. I didn’t catch your comment correcting where to look.

Secondly, now that I’ve looked through it, I think you’re exaggerating the details of the U.K. supposedly dropping Holocaust teaching. You say:

It mentions one school. Sorry, but one is not “an increasing number” unless you are comparing it to zero.

The data is not backing up the claims here. And you know I’ve been covering Israeli and Jewish issues on my blog for over a decade. My anti-Semitism radar is quite good. And I’m not seeing an overarching problem with Holocaust studies here.

Lastly, this report is from 2007. It’s five years old. Give me new data supporting your claim, and I will gladly roll on the bus with you. Until then, I’ll wave goodbye as it leaves the station.

Meryl Yourish on August 17, 2012 at 10:50 PM

england has socialism and soon sharia
we r doomed

losarkos on August 18, 2012 at 2:33 AM

That’s it. The U.K. has gone beyond the point of no return. It is appalling that the land of my ancestor’s (Scotland) is allowing this. Trade in the kilts for burqas lads, since your obviously not man enough to wear them anymore. The U.K. shouldn’t be treated as a close ally anymore. Let’s just nip it in the bud. We should probably start thinking about targeting they’re nuclear arsenal before it is too late. Ne Obliviscaris, It’s almost embarrissing to write that now. Good Lord

D-Bar on August 18, 2012 at 4:31 AM

This is precisely why the Brits have fallen to third world status….. liberalism in our schools and obumble are keeping us close behind.

ultracon on August 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM

lexhamfox on August 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Hoax or not, would anyone be surprised to read that as a true headline? Disappointed and dismayed maybe, but surprised? I don’t think so. The way things are going, it sounds all too real.

squint on August 18, 2012 at 5:37 PM

London has only 90 schools?

J.E. Dyer on August 22, 2012 at 1:47 PM

So this is old,regurgitate semi-bullshit then ?

CallousDisregard on September 23, 2012 at 10:56 PM