And the Leni Riefenstahl award goes to….
posted at 7:27 pm on August 17, 2012 by Libby Sternberg
MoveOn.org is out with a four-minute video that’s been showing up on the interwebz, most notably Facebook, with this enticing title: “This video MIGHT stop Romney from becoming president.”
In the video, two GenXers reveal to you with cheerful sincerity the GOP’s three-pronged strategy to get Mitt Romney elected president, and, as you can well imagine, it’s all part of a dire “racist” plot funded by the Koch Brothers. I exaggerate….but nowhere near as much as the video does.
If you can stand to watch it, it’s below, but here’s a summary of their major “prongs:”
The GOP has been sabotaging our economy and then blaming Obama for it. One of the ways they’re doing this is by “starving states” of money. “It’s all about defeating Obama,” you see, and the strategy is “working” because the “latest polls indicate more Americans actually blame Obama for the struggling economy.” Not George Bush, not Wall Street, not banks, not Congress, but poor, power-lacking President Obama.
This is real tinfoil hat territory—believing that any party, on the left, right, in the middle or on Mars, would adopt a risky strategy of sinking the national economy because they know—insert Snidely Whiplash laughter here—the people will blame, not them, but the “other guy,” their adversary!
That’s real power, if you can pull it off, especially when you’re not actually in power, as the Republicans weren’t at the outset of the Obama term.
Congress’s approval ratings are regularly in the basement, too, yet somehow, miraculously, amazingly, stunningly, Congressional Republicans figured out how to shift blame for the economic situation away from their dastardly deeds onto…the leader of our country. You know, the one who promised to fix things when he took office. The one whose party held the White House, the Senate and the House for two whole years.
Man, but those Republicans are sneaky. Apparently, they were able to “fight every reform” of the president’s. I can only assume they did this by drugging congressional Democrats who, as pointed out above, controlled Congress for the first two years of the president’s term.
The Koch Brothers. ’Nuff said.
Well, I do have to go on… did you know that “outside groups” have already spent “seven times” as much to defeat Obama as similar groups supporting Obama? And all this money means “misleading information” is “pummeling voters” in swing states. No, I’m not talking about mainstream news, which regularly tilts left. I’m talking paid advertisements that promote scurrilous ideas, such as accusing the nominee of being responsible for a steelworker’s wife’s death.
Oh, wait, sorry. Wrong misinformation and wrong candidate. That ad, of course, is one on the president’s side, which he has not yet criticized.
A “racist strategy” to suppress votes. That is, voter ID programs and projects that clean up voter rolls so that, well, only real voters vote.
Among their evidence? Pennsylvania Republican state majority leader Mike Turzai said that passing the state’s Voter ID law would “allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania.” Of course, he couldn’t possibly have meant that by limiting the chance of voter fraud, the Republican presidential nominee now has a fair chance to win instead of having the election taken from him in tight districts. No, that interpretation isn’t dramatic or sinister enough. This is part of the GOP’s secret strategy to win the White House, after all. Except, of course, that Turzai made his Biden-like remarks at a public meeting, so it’s not really “secret.”
To recap, from this video we are to believe the following:
- The GOP is so clever that it could engineer a plan to sink the economy and then, Svengali-like, get the American public to place blame for this, not on low-approval Congress but on well-liked President Obama.
- And the way they do this is by getting lots of money from the Koch Brothers and their allies to pummel mesmerized voters with misinformation (that somehow counters the vast liberal bent of most mainstream news sources).
- But those who manage to escape these mass hypnosis sessions can’t vote because of racist Voter ID laws.
I have an idea, let’s flip this so it works for Democrats. Then, the three-pronged strategy might be:
- Pretend that you really have no power to get anything done that people actually like when your party holds the White House, the Senate and the House.
- Demonize your adversary’s donors when your fecklessness results in usual Democratic donors running for the tall grass.
- Oppose Voter ID and other clean-vote initiatives.
Libby Sternberg is a novelist.
Recently in the Green Room:
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 4:1-11
- Rand Paul wins CPAC straw poll
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained