Green Room

The left immediately vilifies the Guardian’s new conservative columnist

posted at 3:57 pm on August 16, 2012 by

It seems not a day goes by without some new episode of liberal intolerance. Today’s target is Josh Treviño, who was just appointed to The Guardian’s editorial team. Treviño’s crime? He’s a passionate defender of Israel.

Treviño, whose hire comes a few weeks after The Guardian added Glenn Greenwald, will write a column for the liberal publication. It’s a brilliant move for the popular news site. Treviño is an intelligent and insightful conservative who comes from the public policy world, having recently worked at think tanks in Texas and California.

Unfortunately, this news triggered an angry reaction from some individuals. Former Media Matters employee M.J. Rosenberg and blogger Ali Abunimah, co-founder of The Electronic Intifada, have attempted to smear Treviño for his support of Israel. Rosenberg wants the Guardian to fire Treviño before he even writes his first column.

Rosenberg later added: “Trevino is every Jew’s nightmare.Protest to Guardian. Creepy white racist.”

What is fueling Rosenberg’s hatred? Seth Mandel of Commentary explains:

Treviño was among the vast majority of Americans to stand up for Israel’s right of self-defense against the “flotilla” movement seeking to break Israel’s naval blockade of Gaza. Since the first such flotilla included a terrorist-funded boat full of armed extremists who tried to kill Israeli soldiers, Treviño was on fairly solid ground here—and most Americans felt the same way.

You can agree or disagree with Israel’s blockade—which even the United Nations declared was legal—but Treviño held a majority opinion (at least in the United States) and has nothing to apologize for. The totalitarian-minded mob that wants Treviño blacklisted for expressing conservative views on politics and broadly mainstream views on Israel has been gaining steam on Twitter and other social media platforms.

This isn’t the first time we’ve witnessed these tactics from the left. The same thing played out when gay-rights advocates tried to smear University of Texas sociologist Mark Regnerus for his study on same-sex parenting. They did it again to the Boy Scouts. Big-city mayor threatened block Chick-fil-A restaurants.

So I’ll ask again, Why are liberals so intolerant?

Conservatives need to rally to Treviño’s defense. Let’s make sure The Guardian stands up for free speech and intelligent debate rather than reckless remarks like those of Rosenberg and his ilk.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Oh man! I just ran his name in twitter to see if he had an account (he doesn’t) but the chatter is all about him. Apparently, he is the anti-christ or something. LOL

Blake on August 16, 2012 at 5:10 PM

So I’ll ask again, Why are liberals so intolerant?

Because most of them are goose-stepping Fascists at heart. They cloak themselves in tolerance, to hide the utter black rot within.

squint on August 16, 2012 at 5:20 PM

So I’ll ask again, Why are liberals so intolerant?
…..I ask the same thing…..

t on August 16, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Blake on August 16, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Trevino is very active on Twitter. Though I don’t get on Twitter much, I follow him and saw the Guardian nonsense blow up in real time. He’s pretty adept at handling the loons there but man, there are so many of them.

Dirt McGirt on August 16, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Why are liberals so intolerant?

Because ‘liberalism’ is a socially acceptable cover for their natural intolerance.

YiZhangZhe on August 16, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Why are liberals so intolerant?

Liberals compare our present situation with a fantasy utopia.

Conservatives compare our present situation with other situations that did or do exist.

This leads to the following arithmetic:

Utopia = 100%
present situation = 15%
former situation or foreign situation = 13% or lower.

So for the liberal
present situation – utopia = 15 – 100 = negative 85%.

For the conservative:
Present situation – former situation = 15 – 13 = positive 2%

The negative 85% causes the liberal to be very anxious, highly strung, fearful, angry and eager to “do something”.

The positive 2% causes the conservative to feel that things are better than they were (or are elsewhere) and hence relaxed, patient, grateful for what they have, and willing to see how things slowly unfold.

The liberal is intolerant because their hopes and understandings are unrealistic. They don’t see what they’ve got, how hard it was won, or how fragile it is. Instead they are focussed on the shortfall of our societies when compared to a utopia that has never existed and never will exist. So instead of appreciating what they’ve got, they want to build anew and they are willing to tear down anything of the old that gets in their way.

YiZhangZhe on August 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Zero surprise. Political defectors from either side are easy targets for villification.

MelonCollie on August 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM

YiZhangZhe on August 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Well said. Absolutely brilliant; one of the most insightful comments I’ve ever seen at Hot Air, and there are plenty of sharp people posting here.

Horologium on August 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Why are liberals so intolerant?

Intolerance allows them to feel righteous, which conceals, or allows them to deny, their own feelings of guilt. As they behave more freely (i.e. liberally) they commit more offences against their own consciences which causes their guilt to grow. An enlarged guilt needs a larger feeling of righteousness to cover it, which implies they must become less tolerant so that they can accuse others more.

YiZhangZhe on August 16, 2012 at 10:12 PM

YiZhangZhe on August 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM

On point.

visions on August 17, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Wow… excellent commentary. I’d like to borrow those lines on occasion if I may 😀

TASS71 on August 17, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Dirt McGirt on August 16, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Thanks! I could have sworn I had seen his name and photo avatar numerous times. But when I ran him by name, he didn’t pop up. Of course, his “critics” were not linking him in their tw*ts.

Blake on August 17, 2012 at 11:46 AM

YiZhangZhe on August 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I just did what I said only a day or so ago that I couldn’t do: bookmark a favorite comment. There are so many wonderful comments here that I felt I couldn’t possibly bookmark them all — but I just bookmarked yours.

Bravo, sir/ma’am!

Mary in LA on August 17, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Top Pick

Your list of demands it a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM

Divide and conquer?

You know, I may have cracked the case for you, guys

“They’re still running against her and still winning races.”

“…the suspect is from Quebec and has a Canadian passport.”

When the Left lost their way on immigration

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 2:41 PM

It wasn’t all that long ago, really

“I personally watched some of these students go up to Chief Brown, right up to her face, and call her all kinds of names, cursing at her.”

Did the Queen “nix” a Trump visit to London?

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 12:41 PM

More like wishful thinking on the American left

Sometimes it’s hard. This was the hardest part

Did the polls get the Handel/Ossoff race wrong?

Allahpundit Jun 21, 2017 11:21 AM