Speculation about Paul Ryan
posted at 12:46 am on August 11, 2012 by Steven Den Beste
So the rumors are that Romney has made his VP pick, and it’s going to be Paul Ryan. It’s still all speculation, and it could be a fakeout. But let me talk about it anyway.
Two thoughts I have. The first is an old management aphorism: “First rate people hire first rate people. Second rate people hire third rate people.” Compare in your mind Paul Ryan and Joe Biden, and think what this says about their respective bosses.
The other is this: If Ryan is the Republican VP candidate, then it means that the election campaign will be about what I have long said is the most important issue: whether the government should be big or small.
It won’t be possible for the Obama campaign to make this election about Mormonism, or Bain Capital; they’ll have to talk about the Federal Budget, because that is Ryan’s big thing.
The Democrats will try to use it to talk about “pushing Grandma off the end of the pier” and “Ending Medicare” and so on, but that can be dealt with. With Ryan on the ticket, the campaign will be about the size of government, and how that affects the economy.
And that is all to the good.
Recently in the Green Room:
- Programming note: Guest-hosting the Hugh Hewitt Show tonight w/ MKH
- Obligatory Bill Clinton drew pictures of man parts on classified documents post
- Winning entry for HHS’s ObamaCare propaganda video contest: “Forget About the Price Tag”
- The Ed Morrissey Show on hiatus
- Health records ‘data security,’ Canada-style