Axelrod denies Obama White House ever used phrase ‘Recovery Summer’
posted at 3:27 pm on August 5, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
Do you remember Recovery Summer? If you don’t it may be because no recovery has taken place in any summer since Barack Obama became president, but the phrase was rolled out in 2010. It was the handle for a PR effort designed “to highlight the jobs accompanying a surge in stimulus-funded projects to improve highways, parks, drinking water and other public works.”
If you still don’t remember Recovery Summer, take solace in the fact that David Axelrod, who was a senior administration adviser in 2010, doesn’t remember it either. At least that’s what he told host Chris Wallace this morning on FOX News Sunday. When Wallace pressed him on it, Axelrod, looking like the cat that swallowed the canary, defied Wallace to “show me the tape.”
Here it is. Axelrod was a guest on NBC’s Meet the Press. The air date was June 13, 2010. In fairness to the current Obama campaign adviser, he doesn’t utter the words recovery summer per se but uses the phrases Recovery Act projects and this summer in the same sentence.
Maybe Axelrod would like to take a shot next at explaining what is is.
On a more serious note, if this is part of an overarching strategy to expunge Obama’s record of broken promises and failures by attempting to hoodwink voters, the president should be reminded of his own declaration that the “American people aren’t stupid.”
- The failed policies that got us into this mess: by the numbers
- News flash: Barack Obama says, ‘American people aren’t stupid’
- Study: Americans’ incomes have fallen more during recovery than during recession
- Obama’s “Recovery Summer” clashes with predictions that another recession is looming
- Obama to stimulate economy through executive power grab
- American Jobs Act will create 1.9 million new jobs (at $235K apiece)
- Poll: Obama’s handling of debt crisis sucks less than GOP’s
- Poll: 44% of Americans say they worse off under Obama; 34% say better off
Recently in the Green Room:
- Video: Black Democrat-turned-Republican explains party switch
- Can we please stop glorifying pimps?
- “I don’t think you’d find…even a small number of Republicans voting for any kind of bill that has amnesty first and enforcement second”
- Photo of the day
- Programming note: Hosting the Hugh Hewitt Show this week