Green Room

Michael Bloomberg wants hospitals to hide baby formula, force breastfeeding

posted at 2:27 pm on July 30, 2012 by

Mayor Michael Bloomberg has devised a new and cunning way to force new citizens of New York to suck at the teat of the State by insisting that they suck at their mother’s.

The New York Post reports that the man who would be king is pushing hard against hospitals that freely dispense baby formula, insisting that they lock up their inventory of the product so as to force the hands (and breasts) of mothers of newborns. “Starting Sept. 3,” the paper notes, “the city will keep tabs on the number of bottles that participating hospitals stock and use—the most restrictive pro-breast-milk program in the nation.”

The maneuver is part of the city Health Department’s voluntary Latch On NYC initiative. Under it 27 of the city’s 40 hospitals have already agreed to stop giving out swag bags with formula-company logos. The initiative also mandates that hospitals document a medical reason for every bottle that a newborn receives.

One might note the irony of a man who is staunchly pro-choice enforcing a “no-choice” measure. Then again, the capacity to think logically and exercise sound judgment evidently has evaded Bloomberg ever since he graduated from Johns Hopkins in 1964, a Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering in tow.

This latest measure is typically divisive, receiving a thumbs-up from La Leche League, a Bronx cheer from bottle-feeding moms. The Post quotes Lynn Sidnam, a Staten Island mother of two formula-fed girls, as saying, “If they put pressure on me, I would get annoyed. It’s for me to choose.”

Under Latch On NYC, new mothers who insist on formula won’t be denied it, but hospitals will adopt an out-of-sight, out-of mind approach, storing formula in locked boxes like those used to dispense and track medications. Would-be bottle users will also receive a mandatory lecture on why they should reconsider.

The article notes that medical experts are in widespread agreement that breast-feeding in the first weeks of life gives a baby a critical healthy start, equipping the newborn with antibodies that are otherwise unavailable. Yet, one important nutrient—vitamin D—is missing from breast milk but used to fortify formula.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Mayor Bloomberg, let go of my tit!

dczombie on July 30, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Shouldn’t he be fighting crime or something?

JoAnn1965 on July 30, 2012 at 2:47 PM

War on women?

tom daschle concerned on July 30, 2012 at 2:51 PM

ARGHHHHHHH!!! Does this include the women who are not able to breast feed? Many don’t produce enough milk (my mom had that problem with my older sister, so she didn’t even try when my twin & I were born).

And, does anyone know if breast pumps are considered medical devices? Goes along with that tax thingy in the mandate.

chelie on July 30, 2012 at 2:57 PM

This is absurd. My wife has never been very successful with latching on, and did not have ready access to a pump in the early weeks of our most recent son’s birth. We were educated on and understood the importance of breast milk, and we tended to pump and feed until her supply dried up and migrate to formula thereafter. But to try and push her to that “option”… absurd.

The Schaef on July 30, 2012 at 2:57 PM

“Because the mother says so” had better be accepted as a medical reason. The idea that women can abort for any reason including convenience (I don’t believe women are even asked to provide a reason) but that they have to justify themselves to the government for giving formula to babies is well beyond outrageous.

Laura Curtis on July 30, 2012 at 2:58 PM

The part that to me is ironic is that choice is sacrosanct when someone wants to end a baby’s life, but they insist on usurping your choice on what to do with a living child that does not involve that final solution.

The Schaef on July 30, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Good grief!! This man is a total self-parody.

- War on Trans Fats
- War on Salt
- War on Smoking
- War on Large-sized Sodas
- War on Self-Defense
- War on Baby Formula

What’s next?

Bitter Clinger on July 30, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Bloomie has to be doing all this on a bet…

I had the picture in my head earlier today of a NYC back alley and the guy in the trench coat displaying Newports, salt shakers, margarine, large bottles of soda and now enfamil…”pssst buddy…you need any of this”?

teejk on July 30, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I’m about as pro breast as they come. My wife’s lovely breasts feed all three of my boys for their first 6-8 months of their lives. I think we should keep CHOICE around and let mom decide what is best and easiest. Sure breast milk is the best but there are plenty of times that pumping/storing or latching issues make breast feeding hard. War on women indeed.

Rich on July 30, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Look for the LSM to try to “suck” Mitt into this debate and get more fodder for the WOW (War-On-Womyn) narrative. I think Bloomie is part of the another-shiny-object corps to distract the public from the real issues at hand.

Marcola on July 30, 2012 at 3:54 PM

“You must breast-feed your baby. If you choose not to breast-feed and you make over $200K, you must hire a government-approved wet nurse. If make less than $200K, a wet nurse will be provided for you by the government.”

Big guv creating more jobs and redistributing income – win-win, baby!

Marcola on July 30, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Rich on July 30, 2012 at 3:37 PM

bottle feeders have been deceived for decades (I blame Bush and/or the Koch Bros)…

teejk on July 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM

this man is seriously damaged. his need to control the minutiae of his citizen’s lives is simply breath taking. mentally ill or an unabashed fascist?

why is he a republican? i mean RINOs are to be expected but this freak is worse than some demonRats.

next, he’ll be dictating with whom one can breed- and how many serf-drones for the government aka children you are allowed to turn out.

will there be an extra tax break or any specially set aside jobs for faux native americans who breast feed while they take the bar exam?

mittens on July 30, 2012 at 4:38 PM

If Bloomy was ever an actual Republican then I’m a Llama Llama Duck hybrid….. and yes that’s 2 parts llama, 1 part duck, like and good animal cocktail should be.

StompUDead on July 30, 2012 at 4:40 PM

why is he a republican?

He’s not. Some years ago he changed his affiliation to registered Independent. (Even though he’s not that, either.)

Howard Portnoy on July 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Howard Portnoy

they need a new affiliation The (Government) Dependent Party. i know that’s usually found under D for Democrat but….

mittens on July 30, 2012 at 4:56 PM

To really encourage (low-income) women to breastfeed, eliminate WIC.

VerbumSap on July 30, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Do us all a favor, put Gloomy in his strait jacket and lock him up with the formula until 2014 when his final term as mayor expires. Which reminds me of something scary–Chicago has no mayoral term limits.

stukinIL4now on July 30, 2012 at 6:59 PM

And no more than 16 ounces, by the way.

princetrumpet on July 30, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Howard Portnoy on July 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM

correct me if I’m wrong Howard…but he ran as a republican the first time because the dem ticket was already sewed up (was that Marc Green?…a guy that would make Bloomie look like a libertarian)?

teejk on July 30, 2012 at 7:39 PM

And no more than 16 ounces, by the way.

princetrumpet on July 30, 2012 at 7:13 PM

LOL

over-flow clean-up in room 215…STAT!

teejk on July 30, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I say M for Moron, L for Lunatic (not Libertarian), or I for Idiot. He’s all 3, and then some.

jclittlep on July 30, 2012 at 8:14 PM

There really is no limit to the control liberals will exert if we permit it.

conservativecaveman on July 30, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Suck this you mad mad mad man you!

Bloomers is seriously irking my IRE!!!

(Hope this is not a bannable offense) :-)

Scrumpy on July 30, 2012 at 9:14 PM

The Nipple Nazi Strikes Again!

or…

Napoleon’s MiniMe, Is Back for More!

I like writing Headlines

God Bless America!

paratisi on July 30, 2012 at 11:14 PM

The women do have a choice:

Under Latch On NYC, new mothers who want formula won’t be denied it, but hospitals will keep infant formula in out-of-the-way secure storerooms or in locked boxes like those used to dispense and track medications.

It would probably be more effective to not allow any formula branding. Just formula in plain white bottles. No swag, no slick brochures, no coupons. Allow the hospitals to give it away for free. But if there was no advertising allowed, the formula companies wouldn’t give it to the hospitals, and the hospitals would charge on par with the $8/pill aspirin.

cptacek on July 31, 2012 at 12:01 AM

The man has a mouth fetish.

itsspideyman on July 31, 2012 at 9:10 AM

What if the mother has to take some kind of medication for a medical condition, that is excreted into the breast milk and is NOT supposed to be ingested by the baby?

Yiwen on July 31, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Then that would go on the chart and the baby would get the bottle. Do you even read?

cptacek on July 31, 2012 at 12:22 PM

mittens on July 30, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Indeed. Rush was irked at this yesterday and he asked rhetorically [I'm paraphrasing]: “What’s it gonna take for people to finally say ENOUGH and you can kiss my a$$, Mr. Mayor, I’m not doing this!”

PatriotGal2257 on July 31, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I am going to go watch Demolition Man again and look for signs that it wasn’t actually a documentary.

/enhancing my calm…..