ABC News looks for connection between Colorado shooting and Tea Party
posted at 3:45 pm on July 20, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
Some myths are all-powerful and indestructible. One that would be hilarious if it weren’t so utterly tragic is the widespread belief of the mainstream media and liberal blogosphere that any act of domestic violence must be the work of rightwing fanatics.
Dylan Byers at Politico notes that ABC News was Johnny-on-the-spot this morning regarding the tragic shooting n Aurora, Colo. The network wasted no time in attempting to connect the massacre to the Tea Party.
Brian Ross identified “a Jim Holmes of Aurora, Colorado, page on the Colorado Tea party site … talking about him joining the Tea Party last year. Now, we don’t know if this is the same Jim Holmes,” Ross cautioned, “but it’s Jim Holmes of Aurora, Colorado.”
It turns out that the shooter was a different Jim Holmes and Ross issued an apology as did the station in a statement:
An earlier ABC News broadcast report suggested that a Jim Holmes of a Colorado Tea Party organization might be the suspect, but that report was incorrect. ABC News and Brian Ross apologize for the mistake, and for disseminating that information before it was properly vetted.
ABC News and Brian Ross can stuff it. It never dawned on them to exercise journalistic discretion and wait before airing the piece. It also seems not to have occurred to them that their report might inflame passions on the left (yes, the left is “passionate,” meaning violence-prone, as history has demonstrated) and risk put an innocent man in harm’s way.
The report, as Byers writes, has also set off alarm bells on the right. At Brietbart.com, Joel Pollak has accused ABC News of “scapegoating”:
How interesting that Ross and ABC News should think to look to the Tea Party website first—and to broadcast politically volatile information without verifying if that ‘Jim Holmes’ is the same as the suspect.
Interesting indeed. At least the mainstream media isn’t fighting as hard against the claim they are guilty of a left-leaning bias in their reportage. Yeah, right!
- Love tweets to Brad Pitt’s mom: Liberals provide another lesson in civility
- Twitter flooded with death threats against Scott Walker
- Civility alert: Waxman calls GOP ‘terrorists’; break Jan Brewer’s finger off
- Congressional Black Caucus declares war on Tea Party
- Tea Party terrorists and the left’s civility pledge
- Civility alert: WI protesters tell GOP senators “YOU WILL DIE!”
- Tucson sheriff who played blame game faces recall bid
- Tucson shooting survivor arrested after making death threat to tea partier
- American history and the fallacy that all violence emanates from the right
- The shooting in Tucson and the political blame game
- Liberals rejoice over death of Andrew Breitbart