Green Room

Don’t Be a Chicken

posted at 2:00 pm on July 19, 2012 by

I think I just passed out from shock. The President of Chick-fil-A actually came out in FAVOR of traditional marriage and AGAINST gay marriage. Time to break out the rainbow flags and claim that civil rights are being infringed upon somehow somewhere. Or something. But no, really, does this move actually surprise anyone? Chik-fil-A is closed on Sunday for crying out loud. In the past, President Dan Cathy has urged his staff to treat customers with honor and respect while applying Biblical principles. Chick-fil-A is about as Christian an organization as they come, and you know what? I think that’s great. There’s no problem with a private business making the decision to proclaim their religious views openly.

Too bad Hollywood disagrees. Again. In response to Chick-fil-A’s announcement, Actor Ed Helms (who I love, by the way) and gay rights organization NOH8 has suggested that a boycott is in order for the “intolerance” of Dan Cathy and his restaurant. Give me a break. Sure, the Hollywood crazies have every right to boycott and protest so long as they don’t descend into Occupy territory. However, I find myself asking, “What’s the point?” I doubt that their efforts will produce any sort of financial strain on the restaurant. Hollywood-driven liberal boycotts are rarely successful. What’s more, conservatives will probably flock (no pun intended) to gobble up chicken in “solidarity” with Cathy’s freedom of religion. Dan Cathy’s statements have brought his restaurant into the spotlight and in this case any publicity is good publicity.

Perhaps those behind this boycott believe that they are making some massively brave statement by selecting from one of the other 10 billion fast food restaurants in the US instead of Chick-fil-A, but I tend to believe otherwise. It’s not brave to cling to an ideology (i.e. pro-gay marriage) supported by almost all of the media, academic elite and Hollywood. Rather, it’s cowardly. Hey Ed Helms, don’t be a chicken. What is really brave is making a statement you KNOW could possibly hurt your business. If you want a look at fearlessness, divert your eyes toward Dan Cathy and Chick-fil-A. He had to know that his platform would illicit such a response. However, he stuck by his guns and proclaimed his Christian beliefs. For that, I commend him.

Christians are not “intolerant” for hating the sin, but not the person. Just last week, my church pastor made the following statement: “You can be outside God’s will but not outside God’s grace” in regards to homosexuality. Liberals like to claim that hating gays and opposing gay marriage go hand in hand. Not so. We are all people, regardless of sexual orientation. Christians, like Dan Cathy or me, tend to believe that all people are covered by God’s grace; even when their actions go against His will. Intolerant? I think not.

Just like I’m not surprised that the Sabbath-honoring owners of Chick-fil-A support the Biblical principle of traditional marriage, I’m not surprised that liberals went insane in response. It’s just another case of intolerant “tolerance” from the left. They scream and cry that that social conservatives are “intolerant” for not backing their pet issue of gay marriage, but act differently when their backs are against the wall. You want to know what intolerance looks like? This is what intolerance looks like: boycotting a restaurant because the President dares admit that he is a Christian. Liberals preach tolerance but are often incapable of espousing it themselves. Opposing gay marriage does not make you intolerant. Now if Dan Cathy refused to serve homosexuals, that would be an entirely different story. However, that’s not the case. Chick-fil-A is a private business based upon Biblical principles. Dan Cathy is not exactly the poster child for intolerance. However, panicking because someone disagrees with you and refusing to buy their products because of it is intolerant. So, can we all just take a chill pill and disagree without being disagreeable? I’m all for talking about our political disagreements over a nice chicken sandwich and waffle fries.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

A bowl of chicken noodle soup and an order of fries for me. In honor of Michelle, I’ll also have a big rich chocolate milkshake..

Chick-Fil-A does a lot to support our local community, and I understand that they do a lot for their employees as well. I’ll gladly stand for the company that believes in hard work, a good product at a reasonable price, and traditional values.

kringeesmom on July 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Who the heck is Ed Helms anyway?

Bitter Clinger on July 19, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Somehow I believe Dan Cathy will not cave, I sure pray he won’t, for what he believes in.

God bless Dan and for his faith in how he runs his business.
L

letget on July 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I wonder if In-n-Out will follow Chick-Fil-A’s lead? They are also family owned and similarly oriented.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 19, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 19, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I sure hope so! The thought of the Hollywood Elite types going without their animal style burgers is almost poetic.

kringeesmom on July 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM

NOH8 sounds hypocritical to me.

sadatoni on July 19, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I hope there’s a Chick-Fil-A somewhere in NYC so I can go in and support the company. @#$%^&* intolerant liberals are ok with everything except people who don’t agree with them.

JoAnn1965 on July 19, 2012 at 3:56 PM

JoAnn1965 on July 19, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I would gladly accept a gift card which you can order online from NYC! Anything I can do to support the cause.

kringeesmom on July 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM

tolerance

“You keep using that word. I don’t think it means what you think it means.”

ZK on July 19, 2012 at 8:02 PM

You got that right.

*burp*

itsnotaboutme on July 19, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Try the chicken breakfast burrito with the chile salsa. It is one of the most amazing things I’ve ever eaten.

redeye on July 20, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Who the heck is Ed Helms anyway?

Bitter Clinger on July 19, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Lead on The Office, was in the Hangover, tends to play socially inept preppy types. He’s really pretty great. You’d probably recognize him if you googled him.

BTW Amy, I’ve loved every column of yours I’ve read.

vegconservative on July 20, 2012 at 3:47 AM

I think you meant elicit, not illicit.

njcommuter on July 20, 2012 at 4:14 AM

Top Pick

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM

Divide and conquer?

You know, I may have cracked the case for you, guys

“They’re still running against her and still winning races.”

“…the suspect is from Quebec and has a Canadian passport.”

When the Left lost their way on immigration

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 2:41 PM

It wasn’t all that long ago, really

“I personally watched some of these students go up to Chief Brown, right up to her face, and call her all kinds of names, cursing at her.”

Did the Queen “nix” a Trump visit to London?

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 12:41 PM

More like wishful thinking on the American left

Sometimes it’s hard. This was the hardest part

Did the polls get the Handel/Ossoff race wrong?

Allahpundit Jun 21, 2017 11:21 AM

Nah.

Physician, heal thyself

Maybe we’ll stay home and watch.