Romney responds to Obama’s ‘you didn’t build that’ speech
posted at 5:18 pm on July 17, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
The reactions from the right on Obama’s “you didn’t build that” speech are beginning to crystallize. The first assessment on the potential harm the remarks might inflict on the president’s reelection chances comes from Commentary’s John Podhoretz, who calls the statement “profoundly stupid politically.” He writes:
In 2007, the last year for which we have data, according to the Census Bureau, there were 21.7 million businesses in the United States with no employees—meaning they were sole proprietorships, or free-lance businesses employing only their owner. Of the six million remaining businesses in the U.S., more than 3 million had 1 to 4 employees, and 1 million had 5 to 9. So, all in all, small businesses run by one person employing fewer than ten numbered an astonishing 25 million.
This is probably the matter of greatest pride for each and every one of the people who runs that business. He or she views himself or herself as a hard-working, go-getting, scrappy individualist. And it’s likely that many of them—many, many of them—are independent voters.
In other words, that’s a whole lot of people Obama may have alienated.
An even more important development is that Mitt Romney has responded to the speech with a speech of his own today in Irwin, Pa., that may be just the catalyst he needs to ratchet up enthusiasm for his campaign. The Right Scoop has both the full speech and a 10-minute excerpt in which the Republican challenger dissects the president’s argument and holds to light the sheer vapidity of his words.
One point Romney makes that is worth repeating harks back to Obama’s reference to the “roads and bridges” that “someone invested in,” making it possible for businesses to thrive. The governor notes that the money that created those roads and bridges came out of the pockets that Obama is now looking to pick in the name of fairness.
- Obama really stepped in it, but MSM continues to run interference for him
- Business leaders fire back at Obama over his ‘no man is an island’ remarks
- Obama’s ‘gotcha’ moment reveals his ignorance of the law
- Obama speaks out on ‘limits’ of SCOTUS (aka ‘unelected group of people’)
- Romney bully story shows MSM will shill for Obama again in 2012 election
- Newsweek asks ‘Why are Obama’s critics so dumb?’
- Obama: Nobody succeeds without government’s help
- Obama’s latest gaffe: We’re the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad
- Elizabeth Warren: ‘There is nobody in this country who got rich on his own’
- Obama’s economic “fairness doctrine”
- Obama and the meaning of shared sacrifice
- Jay Carney claims unemployment checks create jobs