Green Room

Integration through welfare dependence: SNAP to the Parque Alegría dole

posted at 3:18 pm on July 12, 2012 by

The US Dept. of Agriculture wants everybody on food stamps, so now they’ve come up with radio soap operas to promote enrollment in the food stamp dole, whether the recipient is a citizen or not.

I kid you not,
USDA uses Spanish soap operas to push food stamps among non-citizens, citizens [AUDIO]

Each novela, comprising a 10-part series called “PARQUE ALEGRIA,” or “HOPE PARK,” presents a semi-dramatic scenario involving characters convincing others to get on food stamps, or explaining how much healthier it is to be on food stamps.

Actually, alegría means glee, but, all the same, you get the annoying male voice asking at the end, “Will Claudia convince Ramon to apply for SNAP?”, as if you cared,

(For translation, follow the link.)

And now for the irritating part,

In addition to the Spanish-language outreach, the USDA is also pushing to get non-citizens enrolled in the program. The radio novelas overcome one of the hurdles the agency has identified as hampering participation: “lack of knowledge” about the program.

The non-citizens who have children born in the USA can get food stamps. What a way to integrate into America.

Culture of dependence: the new American way.

Obscene.

Cross-posted at Fausta’s blog.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

And this is why all the talk on the right is about limiting citizenship rights of kids born here to illegal immigrant parents. Most illegal immigrants use their kids to qualify the whole family, so Mama can stay home. If you don’t pay the taxes, you shouldn’t get the services.

Sekhmet on July 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Note I said ILLEGAL immigrants. For all the Rubio-haytas, a dry-footed Cuban is a presumed refugee, NOT an illegal immigrant.

Sekhmet on July 12, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Well that is one sure way to get lots, lots, lots of illegal aliens coming over the border for the US free stuff, isn’t it? What next from this krapy administration, free housing, gas, right to vote, schools, health care? OH I forgot, they already have that!

I can not begin to tell you how sick this is and makes me!
L

letget on July 12, 2012 at 4:00 PM

How can I get in n this action? I’ve been a taxpayer for most of my 48 years…I want some of that gubmint cheese I paid for.

Doomsday on July 12, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Top Pick

“It would be catastrophic if the President were to fire the special counsel.”

“The blockade breached institutional values of freedom of expression and assembly.”

“I hope to encourage them to take personal responsibility…”

“I ain’t serving no police”

“I think a lot of Trump’s voters have as one of their primary objectives just stopping the cultural corruption that’s taking place.”

“Don’t take away my health care or you die.”

“We must all do our best to get rid of this tyrant.”

Rosenstein: Comey broke with DoJ norms on memo leak.

“Nobody has ever accused me of pulling any weapon on them.”

“Fourteen people had stab wounds, cuts and bruises, with two of the injured surviving critical stab wounds.”

Okay… you first.

“We should repeal it and replace, and we shouldn’t leave town until this is complete.”

“He feels like he is being thrown under the bus …”

“McCain has always been a fighter”

Ed Morrissey Jul 20, 2017 8:41 AM

“Cancer doesn’t know what it’s up against.”

They may be on to something

How capitalism averted the bee-pocalypse

John Sexton Jul 19, 2017 9:31 PM

“there are more honeybee colonies in the country today than in nearly 25 years.”

CBO releases estimate on Obamacare repeal

John Sexton Jul 19, 2017 8:31 PM

“The number of people who are uninsured would increase by 17 million in 2018, compared with the number under current law.”

Kasich: Fix Obamacare with more spending

Jason Hart Jul 19, 2017 8:01 PM

Ohio Gov. John Kasich wants Congress to “fix” Obamacare’s insurance exchanges with more federal spending

“This is a momentous decision.”

“One was told that she—her skin was too light and that she needed to listen to people of darker colored skin…”

Disruptor?

Time off without pay for play

The new DOJ guidelines on asset forfeiture are obscene

Taylor Millard Jul 19, 2017 5:01 PM

Guilty until proven innocent.

“We’re just wondering what happened there.”

“This is an attempt at a political intervention.”

The blame game

“Inaction is not an option.”

“You have no feelings. You Christians are all racists.”