Integration through welfare dependence: SNAP to the Parque Alegría dole
posted at 3:18 pm on July 12, 2012 by Fausta Wertz
The US Dept. of Agriculture wants everybody on food stamps, so now they’ve come up with radio soap operas to promote enrollment in the food stamp dole, whether the recipient is a citizen or not.
Each novela, comprising a 10-part series called “PARQUE ALEGRIA,” or “HOPE PARK,” presents a semi-dramatic scenario involving characters convincing others to get on food stamps, or explaining how much healthier it is to be on food stamps.
Actually, alegría means glee, but, all the same, you get the annoying male voice asking at the end, “Will Claudia convince Ramon to apply for SNAP?”, as if you cared,
(For translation, follow the link.)
And now for the irritating part,
In addition to the Spanish-language outreach, the USDA is also pushing to get non-citizens enrolled in the program. The radio novelas overcome one of the hurdles the agency has identified as hampering participation: “lack of knowledge” about the program.
The non-citizens who have children born in the USA can get food stamps. What a way to integrate into America.
Culture of dependence: the new American way.
Cross-posted at Fausta’s blog.
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation