Green Room

Reminder: TSA still asking women to “Raise your skirt”

posted at 9:08 am on July 9, 2012 by

No, women still haven’t gotten used to this TSA practice.  And it’s still offensive, humiliating, degrading, and makes being a woman an unfortunate preexisting condition (thanks, Nancy!).  The TSA asked a female passenger at Philadelphia International Airport this morning to raise her skirt after she passed through the metal detector.  The passenger who is in her mid-40s and a frequent flier was preparing for a domestic flight at 8:15 AM.   As a seasoned traveler who flies weekly for business, she explains:

“As I got towards the front of the queue there was one agent checking boarding passes and IDs while many other agents stood around or talked to him instead of moving people through.  There were about 200 people waiting at any time to move through.   So now I make it to the security zone.  I quickly remove my light jacket and slip on shoes.  I already had my toiletries and laptop out.  I am trained and know the routine.  I am wearing only a t-shirt and knit skirt.  I was wearing less than most doctors visits require.  As I stepped through the metal detector I was shocked as the agent asked me to raise my skirt.  This has never ever happened to me before.  I guess I should have been thankful that my skirt didn’t prompt a thorough feel up to the crotch.  The woman offered no explanation as to why I had to raise my skirt.  As a very modest and religious woman, I choose to wear less revealing garments that come to my knees, I did not relish having to lift up my skirt and basically expose the bottom of my underwear, I felt personally and religiously violated.”

The TSA website does not require women to lift their skirts and skirts are not even mentioned in the Travel Assistant.

Where’s NOW or Gloria Allred when you need them?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

You WILL obey, “citizen”, or you will face the consequences.

When do we get America back?

clippermiami on July 9, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Does Romney want another 3 to 5 points at the polls?

Declare the TSA will be abolished under his admin, and replaced by private security firms tied to each airline who will profile the correct way and who will have a good chance at stopping actual threats instead of this unionized and unaccountable harassment of average citizens.

This security theater has to stop, it’s a waste of time and an infringement on liberty. Soon the TSA will have been around so long that an entire generation will see it as the new normal.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 9, 2012 at 10:19 AM

You know, that whole “camel’s nose under the tent” saying is kind of old (and probably racist somehow)… Let’s update it to something more relatable: “The TSA agent’s hand up the dress.”

Tremor on July 9, 2012 at 10:33 AM

So is the idea of a TSA.

Dante on July 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Where is the source link?

j2kp0t on July 9, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Where is the source link?

j2kp0t on July 9, 2012 at 10:44 AM

This account was given to me by a dear friend traveling from Philadelphia to Boston this morning. She wishes to remain anonymous for business reasons. I’m sure this happens every day to many women. Accounts like these need to be made public as it’s offensive to ask a women to hike up her skirt. This is not a Dave Matthews’ song.

SusanAnne Hiller on July 9, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I am trained and know the routine.

That’s exactly how they want you.

CurtZHP on July 9, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I was waiting in line to go through security and I realized I had left a necklace on. I told the TSA woman I would take it off and put it in my tote which had not yet gone through the scanner. She said, don’t bother.

So, I walked through the metal detector and the same TSA lady who told me to leave my necklace on, took me aside and gave me a “good” pat down because the scanner showed metal on my chest.

Hey, I’m kinda cute in an over-the-hill kind of way but I felt totally set up by this “lady” for her own kicks and giggles.

The TSA is not there for our safety, they are there to “legally” harrass us. “W,” the TSA is one of those things which I thoroughly and wholeheartedly disagreed with you.

Fallon on July 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM

And, the perverted behavior is not just for the little people.

Fallon on July 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Last December my daughter, who is in her early twenties and attractive, flew home from Chicago for the holidays. She flew out of O Hara. She was in line to go through security when a TSA woman selected a several people to move to the line to be scanned. My daughter was among that group. She noticed that a male TSA agent was visibly looking at the results of the scans. What alarmed her were the other two TSA agents standing behind him and the observation that when a woman was being scanned, they both leaned forward towards the screen. When a man or women they had no interest in was scanned, only the TSA assigned to view the scan. The other two were no longer interested in assisting in the viewing of the scan. It was creeping my daughter out that she was about to be forced to allow these men to look at her naked body. Fortunately the TSA agent that had selected them had to go on break and her line was moved back to the metal detector line. So much for anything claimed about it not being a benefit for the perverted.

That was not the only problem. As she was sitting at the gate waiting to board she noticed two men who obviously were partners. When she boarded, the one flying sat next to her. As they talked she learned that the other man wanted to spend as much time with him as possible before the flight. He had no boarding pass or reason to enter the secured area. Apparently he had no problem slipping through TSA security to be with him until he boarded. The man told her that his partner had just stayed close to him and the TSA did not notice. Maybe he went through the same line where the TSA perverts were too busy looking at naked images of women and children to notice someone just slipped through.

Franklyn on July 9, 2012 at 1:45 PM

She should have worn a burka. Then the TSA would have waived her right through.

Pervygrin on July 9, 2012 at 7:23 PM