Green Room

MSNBC host celebrates 4th by ‘remembering nation’s many wrongs’

posted at 1:19 pm on July 5, 2012 by

I hope everyone had a glorious Fourth that included a cookout, fireworks, and time to reflect on our great nation—imperialist, genocidal, slave-holding corruptocracy that it is.

The views expressed in the phrase following the dash in the previous sentence are not mine. They belong to MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry, who commemorated America’s birthday in advance, telling viewers of her eponymous show on Sunday that she is “proud of her country” despite—not because of—its history.

But not to fret. In spite of all the bad things we have done and continue to do as a nation (e.g., “benefitting from the residuals of oppression,” casually enduring the harm visited on us “by the realities of inequality”), Perry tells us we can all share in the “hope and the deeply American belief that our best days still lie ahead of us.” Wow, what an upbeat lady!

If this pep talk sounds familiar, it is because Perry is channeling (if not out-and-out plagiarizing) another liberal speechifier who threatened in 2008 to “fundamentally transform” a nation that was, in his (and Perry’s) view, in dire need of a fundamental transformation. He, too, has expressed mortification over the troubling “facts” that the “land on which [our founders] formed this Union was stolen; the hands with which they built this nation were enslaved; the women who birthed the citizens of the nation are second class.”

Defenders of the MSNBC host and her comments will ask, “So what’s wrong with telling it like it is?” Apart from not being convinced that Perry’s version of U.S. history is a hundred percent “like it is,” I submit that the problem comes down to three things: Timing, message, and the messenger.

First timing. A birthday is an occasion to celebrate. Recriminations and self-inventory, though undeniably useful, should be reserved for another day. The Melissa Harris-Perrys of the world spend most of their waking hours complaining about injustice, a lack of fairness, capitalist greed, and a host of other grievances real and imagined. Why not set aside one day of the year to appreciate the good we do as a nation and international partner and to applaud unconditionally the great gift of being able to say, “I am an American?”

As to message and messenger, the only time liberals are stark realists—or fancy themselves to be so—is when they are cataloging the country’s many faults. The rest of the time they live in a world of dreams and vague generalities. They use euphemisms like invest for spend and run away from the responsibilities of adult life, such as reining in out-of-control spending and facing the grim reality of the need for entitlement reform. If someone is going to read me the riot act for not being the best American I can be, I want that criticism to come from someone who salutes, rather than desecrates, the Stars and Stripes.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at [email protected] or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

It is only because they love America so much. They want it to be better, to address the inequalities which have occurred, and they know America is great enough to take on these challenges. It is like a wedding anniversary, when a husband points out his wife’s faults and mistakes made during the course of the marriage. He does so because he recognizes that she is a strong independent woman who can take such criticism to heart and be a become a better wife – not that she’s not great. Only if he thought she was weak would he shower her in praise. It’s the height of feminism. And criticism of America on the 4th is similarly the height of patriotism.

Crispian on July 5, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Crispian on July 5, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Well played, my friend. Well played.

tdpwells on July 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM

That’s a good way to make sure it’s the last one you have to remember.

NoDonkey on July 5, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Lefties only love America when they are in power (see election 2008).

When lefties are not in power they heap hate and scorn to make people not mind so much that America is being destroyed by lefties.

That is why socialist professors teach so much hate. They WANT to divide.

GardenGnome on July 5, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I still don’t understand why liberals cry over slavery and continue to align themselves with the party of slavery, segregation and racism! As I told some liberal friends on a Facebook post (and then watched their heads explode), I’m not ashamed of the history of my party… our party formed explicitly to abolish slavery, which it did with its first President elected, then spearheaded the Civil Rights movement (MLK Jr was a Republican). It is the Democrats who should be ashamed of their party’s history!

dominigan on July 5, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Pathetic

cmsinaz on July 5, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Because they don’t think that we do any good. They truly think we’re the cause and source of all evil in the world. They will only be happy when we’re all living under the bootheel of a socialistic dictator – because at least then we’ll all be equally miserable. Except for the elites, which they see themselves as members of.

crazy_legs on July 5, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Well played, my friend. Well played.

tdpwells on July 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Crispian on July 5, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Crispian on July 5, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Yeah, good luck selling that to the wife, fella. (giggle/snort!)

squint on July 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Crispian on July 5, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Well, I for one am so “weak” that my response would be to hunt you down with a rolling pin!

Valkyriepundit on July 5, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Valkyriepundit on July 5, 2012 at 4:22 PM

and no jury would ever convict you

teejk on July 5, 2012 at 4:48 PM

That would be the Harris-Perry who is the heroine of a series of nonexistent books:

Harris-Perry & the Stoned Theologians

Harris-Perry & the Agenda of Secrets

Harris-Perry & the Preacher Of Asininities

Harris-Perry & the Gobbler of Filth

Harris-Perry & the Order of the Panther

Harris-Perry & the Half-Blood President

Harris-Perry & the Ghastly Network

Olo_Burrows on July 5, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I suspected it unnecessary with the kind of smart people who visit this site, but just in case, since I can’t always tell when people might be saying things facetiously, I will amend my post with the following:

😉

Crispian on July 5, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I don’t believe I’ve seen eyebrows on an emoticon before.

disa on July 5, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Crispian on July 5, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Not necessary; those who are sharp enough to appreciate your well aimed snark don’t need an emoticon or a /. Those who don’t get it are to be pitied.

massrighty on July 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM

In terms of viewership, MSNBC is a cable-access channel. As such, it’s about average in its level of lunacy.

logis on July 6, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Top Pick

Going for the record

Top Pick

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM