Green Room

ObamaCare: We will fight in the shade.

posted at 12:07 pm on June 30, 2012 by

I forced myself to observe a cooling-off period after Thursday’s Supreme Court decision affirming ObamaCare, just to make sure that I didn’t say anything in haste.  At this point, I’m not entirely sure it’s worked, but I’m done holding my peace.

I fail to see how today’s ruling is anything other than awful for those of us who love this Republic, its Founding documents, and the Rule of Law.  I get the urge to celebrate a win on the Commerce Clause argument, but not at the expense of expanding Congress’ power to tax.    The ruling strikes me as lawlessness on top of lawlessness, a big fat cherry on top of a Fast and Furious, Solyndra, and bailout sundae.  If it’s unconstutional, it’s unconstitutional; throw the whole stinkin’ thing out and be done with it…instead of finding reasons to keep this monstrosityafloat.

I keep reading that the one good thing to come out of this ruling is that ObamaCare is now codified as a tax, which means it can be repealed via reconciliation; that is, with simple Congressional majorities.  That’s nice, except that ObamaCare passed via reconciliation, so reconciliation repeal was already an option.  I am comforted by the fact that there are still challenges to be heard.  Next up, the religious freedom lawsuits.

Today, the statists won.  But rest assured, this is not the end by any stretch of the imagination.

As long as this horrific piece of legislation remains on the books, we will fight.  We will stand and fight the biased narratives, the culture of victimization, and the hostile occupation of our Republic and its founding principles.  We will engage the statists, and their surrogates in media, entertainment, and academia.  And should their lies and distortions threaten to blot out the shining sun of freedom, then we stand at the ready, and we will fight in the shade.

I leave you with the one thing that chief Justice Roberts and I agree on.

Members of this Court are vested with the authority to interpret the law; we possess neither the expertise nor the prerogative to make policy judgments. Those decisions are entrusted to our Nation’s elected leaders, who can be thrown out of office if the people disagree with them.  It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices.

Originally published on 6/29/12 at El Tercer Riel (The Third Rail).  Spanish-language version available here.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Yup.

txmomof6 on June 30, 2012 at 12:40 PM

On what basis do you have any expectation that the court will decide the religious challenges on the basis preserving liberty and upholding the First Amendment?

I will not be investing any hope in the SCOTUS when it comes to the protection of individual liberty.

It will happen in the congress or it will happen in the streets. Or we will remain subjects.

Stephen Macklin on June 30, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Obama: the god who bleeds.

thebrokenrattle on June 30, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Next up, the religious freedom lawsuits.

With all due respect, you’re still in shock from Thursday if you still hold out hope that these further lawsuits will be decided on fair Constitutional grounds.

Midas on June 30, 2012 at 2:21 PM

chief justice john “The Taxer” roberts : Members of this Court are vested with the authority to interpret the law…

Yet john “The Taxer” roberts rewrote the law crossing out the word “penalty” and inserted his preferred word “taxes” so he could uphold ObamaCare.

That goes well beyond “interpreting the law, it’s radical judicial activism.

RJL on June 30, 2012 at 7:21 PM

“Those cruel conservatives, forcing you to stand. I ask only that you kneel.”

ZK on June 30, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Roberts is an idiot. Either the “law” is constitutional or not. That’s the only question that was before him. Roberts may think he’s clever by telling us he can’t protect us from our own political stupidity, but no one asked him to. He was asked to do his duty and he shirked it.

One of the things on the agenda for the Reps, and they have shirked it, is the impeachment and removal of idiots, like Roberts, from the bench. The Fed courts are full of such activists and they must be removed. Either the Pubbies man up, or they to must be delenda est.

Quartermaster on July 1, 2012 at 7:15 AM

Quartermaster on July 1, 2012 at 7:15 AM

Yup, we don’t need to hear how clever he is, up or down.

Fallon on July 2, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Exactly. That last statement is the the only positive statement Robert’s will be remembered for. Most of us can not destroy our legacy of work in one day. Robert’s did.

aniptofar on July 2, 2012 at 3:38 PM

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM
Top Pick

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Top Pick

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…