More tea leaves and aftershock
posted at 2:03 pm on June 29, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
As the left-leaning commentariat enters day two of its victory dance, continuing developments suggest that the fate of ObamaCare is anything but resolved. One is the ballooning of donations to the Romney campaign. In the last 24 hours, Team Romney has received $4.6 million from 47,000 separate donors, The Hill reports.
Another was the announcement yesterday by House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) of a vote to repeal the health care law scheduled for July 11. The clear intent of the action, which is largely symbolic, is to keep the monstrous law and the chance to repeal if Romney is elected uppermost in the minds of voters.
Yet another is the curious statement made by White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, who told reporters aboard Air Force One on Friday that the individual mandate is “a penalty, because you have a choice. You don’t have a choice to pay your taxes, right?” In principal, Carney is right, but conventional wisdom would have had the administration keep quiet on this point for as long as possible. Second-guessing the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court the day after he hands Team Obama a huge win seems like an odd way of saying thanks.
CBS News reminds us that one result of the Supreme Court ruling is higher taxation on dividends for couples with adjusted gross incomes in excess of $250,000. The article is presented by way of advising taxpayers who belong to affected tax brackets to plan (by, for example, taking losses next year instead of this year). Yet, the reminder is likely to firm the resolve of many of those individuals to work to ensure a Romney win in the fall.
- John Roberts’ judicial activism and the health care law that time forgot
- It’s alive! Individual mandate upheld by SCOTUS (sort of)
- DNC executive director not only spikes football, but uses profanity
- Jay Carney strikes (out) again: Claims Red Sox
- Obama gets booed at fundraiser in Boston after mentioning baseball trade
- WH to press corps: ‘Don’t buy into the BS’ GOP is slinging
- WH: On Monday president was ‘law professor, spoke in shorthand’
- Obama’s ‘gotcha’ moment reveals his ignorance of the law
- Obama speaks out on ‘limits’ of SCOTUS (aka ‘unelected group of people’)
- Obama was against an individual health care mandate before he was for it (Video)
Recently in the Green Room:
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 4:1-11
- Rand Paul wins CPAC straw poll
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained