Green Room

TSA agent opens and spills jar of human ashes, laughs

posted at 3:31 pm on June 28, 2012 by

The Transportation and Security Administration has cultivated something of a reputation in recent years for treating passengers—especially the very young, the very old, and the infirm—inhospitably. Among their more memorable acts of moronic incivility was their confiscation of a 6-inch plastic hammer from a severely mentally challenged man, claiming that the toy cum security blanket could be used as a weapon. And who can forget the young woman who was patted down so aggressively that her blouse was pulled off, exposing her breasts? Or the callous stripping away of a soiled adult diaper from a 95-year-old wheelchair-bound cancer patient?

Now the agency has extended its abusive policies beyond the living. Indianapolis ABC affiliate RTV reports:

A man’s attempt to bring the ashes of his grandfather home to Indianapolis ended with an angry scene in a Florida airport, with the ashes spilled on the terminal floor.

John Gross, a resident of Indianapolis’ south side, was leaving Florida with the remains of his grandfather—Mario Mark Marcaletti, a Sicilian immigrant who worked for the Penn Central Railroad in central Indiana—in a tightly sealed jar marked ‘Human Remains.’

Gross told reporters he didn’t think he’d have a problem, which causes one to ask what planet he’s been living on. Did he really believe that the TSA’s stringent prohibition against its agents’ opening containers marked in this manner would prevent the screener at Orlando International Airport from doing just that? Did he somehow expect once the jar was unsealed that the screener would not desecrate the remains by digging her fingers into and through them? That once she had accidentally tipped the jar on its side, strewing ashes all of over the terminal floor, that he would receive an apology? Or an offer of help as he tried frantically to retrieve the jar’s precious cargo?

Surely, Gross had a right to expect that the woman would at least treat the situation with appropriate sobriety. She did not. “She started laughing,” Gross told the television station. “I was on my hands and knees picking up bone fragments. I couldn’t pick up all, everything that was lost. I mean, there was a long line behind me.”

Sari Koshetz, a TSA spokeswoman in Miami, tells the Orlando Sentinel that the agency is investigating the incident. “Circumstances as described in some reports are inconsistent with what we believe transpired,” Koshetz wrote in an email to the paper.

We’ll see. But judging from the TSA’s past boorishness and their stubborn refusal to apologize for their agents’ indiscretions, I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

Related Articles

Subscribe at the top of the page to have my articles sent directly to your e-mail inbox. Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at [email protected] or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Life imitates Sacha Baron Cohen.

pedestrian on June 28, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Our government doesn’t respect human life–it’s hardly surprising that they don’t respect the deceased either.

Mr. Prodigy on June 28, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Why does anyone even fly anymore?

Bitter Clinger on June 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I want TSA shut down. The new Congress needs to get on that immediately. I’m serious.

J.E. Dyer on June 28, 2012 at 6:48 PM

J.E. Dyer on June 28, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I am with you completely on this issue.

katee bayer on June 28, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Why does anyone even fly anymore?

Bitter Clinger on June 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Not that I’m a huge fan of Amtrak, but we actually planned our family vacation this year around taking the auto train to and from Florida. It was cheaper than flying our family of 5 down there and we don’t have to deal with the psychotic TSA harassing us – especially my sensory-issue-prone younger son. Win-win.

This is an absolutely horrible story. Bullies on a power trip. I feel less safe with the TSA around than I do without. Shut them down!

Anna on June 28, 2012 at 9:15 PM

…we don’t have to deal with the psychotic TSA harassing us…

Anna on June 28, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Yet. They are working hard to bring TSA to trains and automobiles, too.

GWB on June 29, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Yet. They are working hard to bring TSA to trains and automobiles, too.

GWB on June 29, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Automobiles! How would that work? Life imitating South Park perhaps? Can TSA monitored toilets really be far behind?

CityFish on June 29, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Just a reminder: People will die

Allahpundit Jun 28, 2017 10:41 PM
Top Pick

“Whipped cream’s killing more people than ever before.”

Top Pick

Medicare for all?

“There comes a point where you gotta get off the crazy train.”

Poll: Dem voters glumly sticking with Pelosi

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 8:41 PM

Disaster ahead?

“When she left it, it was in better shape than it had ever been.”

Manafort, firm registers as foreign agents

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 6:41 PM

Better late than never?

Delivered as promised

“I would like to think that the president saved many innocent men, women and children.”

“The Russia investigation was by far the dominant topic…”

The merry little media war continues.

Criminal enterprise

Politico: Has the SPLC lost its way?

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 3:01 PM

“The organization has always tried to find ways to milk money out of the public…”

Trump legal team backing away from Comey complaint?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 2:31 PM

De-escalation?

Time to get up and go to work, sir

CNN gets glum, defensive after resignations

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 1:01 PM

“If Jeff lit himself on fire, it wouldn’t appease the pro-Trump media.”

Hmmm: FBI probing Russia-based anti-virus firm?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 12:31 PM

“I wouldn’t put their stuff on my computer if you paid me.”

He works hard for the money…

It’s not a slippery slope. It’s a freaking avalanche.

Nuts.

Showdown: Sarah Palin vs the New York Times

Jazz Shaw Jun 28, 2017 9:21 AM

Defamation

Credit where creditor’s due?

More flash than bang, but a very bad sign

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”

Excuses, excuses.

Not really a “kill all the lawyers” scenario

4 pm ET!

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”