Poll: Obama would be better equipped than Romney to deal with alien invasion
posted at 5:31 pm on June 27, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
Team Obama and his Democratic allies have been hungry for some good news after a dreary a two months. A new survey commissioned for the National Geographic Channel’s series Chasing UFOs may have just what the doctor ordered—especially if the doctor is a diminutive humanoid with a large, bulbous white head and black almond-shaped pools for eyes.
According to the poll, 65% of those queried believe the president would be better suited than GOP candidate Mitt Romney to handling an alien invasion, and we’re not talking here about illegal aliens.
You may be inclined to dismiss the findings as a waste of time, but before you do consider that the poll found that 36% of Americans believe UFOs exist, with another 48% on the fence. Skeptics who doubt that extraterrestrial vessels have hovered in the night skies above the nation’s deserts comprise only 17% of the population. (By my reckoning, those three numbers add to 101%, but maybe the survey uses alien math.)
When asked how they would react if an alien crossed their path, 22% said they would try to makes friends, 15% would run away, 13% would lock their doors, and 2% would attempt to inflict bodily harm on the visitor.
As for the hefty percentage who said they think Obama would be a better match for the threat of an alien invasion, the poll stopped short of asking why. (Did some respondents, for example, assume that Obama would be a better buffer because he himself is an alien?) Notice also that the survey reports that respondents think Obama would be better at handling an attack, but it never specifies in what way. During the run-up to the 2008 election, Obama was asked how he would deal with a terrorist attack. His response was “I’d make sure we had enough first responders.” Maybe that’s how he’d “handle” an alien attack as well.
Now you may feel free to dismiss these findings as a waste of time.
- New polls: Obama’s support dwindling among Jews, whites, and even some blacks
- How much will Obama’s unlikeability be a factor in 2012
- As poll numbers dip and gas prices rise, Obama goes on the offensive—against GOP
- Can Obama fib his way out of blame for record high gasoline prices?
- Poll: The high cost of ticking off ‘clingers’
- Rep. Luis Gutiérrez: ‘This is the Obama we voted for’ (Take 12?)
- Poll on role of religion in Americans’ lives bad news for Obama
Recently in the Green Room:
- “I don’t think you’d find…even a small number of Republicans voting for any kind of bill that has amnesty first and enforcement second”
- Photo of the day
- Programming note: Hosting the Hugh Hewitt Show this week
- It’s come to this: Democrats now complaining that … the Senate hasn’t passed a budget
- Video: The worst pageant answer ever?