Green Room

Dem Governor Starting to Read the ObamaCare Tea Leaves in Missouri

posted at 12:46 pm on June 26, 2012 by

Given his support for an Obamacare health insurance exchange, Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon isn’t exactly high on the list of people you’d expect to reject the other major element of ObamaCare — the law’s individual health insurance mandate. According to reports in the last few hours, though, it looks like the governor has been reading some tea leaves, and for ObamaCare supporters, it’s a bitter brew.

Referring to it the “Washington Healthcare Law” Nixon spoke out against the key ingredient of President Obama’s signature legislation—the individual mandate.

“I think I’ve been pretty clear…that the health insurance mandate is not something that I think is a good thing. Without going into great detail, having the government you order you to buy something like that is not something that in the past I’ve supported.”

The whole reason that Missouri voters will have the opportunity to unequivocally strip the governor of the power to institute an exchange this year is because of concerns from last year that Gov. Nixon may have planned to implement an exchange unilaterally. Why he had a substantive “change of heart” on the law is, from a policy perspective, of limited consequence, but it’s clear that the politics of ObamaCare and its mandate are still extraordinarily toxic in this state.

We’ll find out on Thursday whether the mandate will be ruled unconstitutional. It appears the governor couldn’t wait that long.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

And Claire is considering skipping the convention per the St. Louis Beacon. Claire is playing her election year “I’m an independent” game again. Especially funny since she was one of the very first to jump on board the Obama bandwagon.

stldave on June 26, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Patrick,

I know Claire is extremely vulnerable. The quality of candidates in the primary field, and the fact they all are polling pretty even with relatively low name id can tell you that. Even if common sense didn’t already.

How vulnerable do you think Nixon is? I haven’t seen a ton of polling around it, but maybe I’m just not looking in the right places.

stldave on June 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Thanks for posting this info on what is going on in MO.
Sounds like Gov. Nixon is trying to avoid putting this pending legislation up to the voters. I don’t quite understand why the House & Senate can’t just pass the bill as it seems it’s veto-proof. Then again, I probably don’t understand MO State law:-)

bluefox on June 26, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Oh, thanks also Patrick for the link to the heartland site.

At the bottom of the site, they have a list of other ones that are informative. I especially liked the Tea Party Toolbox!!

bluefox on June 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Nixon has some explaining to do. What a difference a few months make.

Totalitarian democracy is a term made famous by Israeli historian J. L. Talmon to refer to a system of government in which lawfully elected representatives maintain the integrity of a nation state whose citizens, while granted the right to vote, have little or no participation in the decision-making process of the government.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totalitarian_democracy

manateespirit on June 26, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I think I’ve been pretty clear… I hope you’ve already forgotten that I said the opposite that the health insurance mandate is not something that I think is a good thing.

Fixed it for the Guv.

Mary in LA on June 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM

tag fail…

Mary in LA on June 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I never understood why everybody has always talked about how popular Nixon is and acted as if his re-election is a guarantee. He has the benefit of his opponents being unknowns, but he tends to stay stuck in the mid 40s vs. those unknowns in all polling. That is not a sign of a popular governor with an easy path to re-election.

Gingotts on June 26, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Nixon is an idiot for pushing any of this considering how the state’s voters clearly feel about ObamaCare.

This is the state, BTW, that voted for a symbolic measure against ObamaCare at roughly a 70-30 clip.

teke184 on June 26, 2012 at 5:18 PM

He was for it before he was against it, or something.

Seems to happen to Dims frequently.

AZCoyote on June 27, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Ransomware attack spreads through Europe

John Sexton Jun 27, 2017 1:01 PM
Top Pick

“A massive ransomware campaign is currently unfolding worldwide.”

Top Pick

Showdown?

At least their address rarely changes

It just keeps on happening

“Trump is good for business right now.”

Start spreading the news…

“Now it’s time for the next step.”

A “cryptic” warning to Bashar al-Assad?

Jazz Shaw Jun 27, 2017 8:01 AM

The three strikes rule may be in effect

CNN reporters resign over retracted story

John Sexton Jun 26, 2017 9:21 PM

“The individuals all stated that they accepted responsibility and wanted to resign.”

Federalism’s greatest champion is now …

Ed Morrissey Jun 26, 2017 8:41 PM

“In the end, we’re a democracy.”

“Almost all controversial speech harms people, upsets or offends them…”

Obama: Back home again in Indonesia

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 7:21 PM

The call to prayer and eating dog.

Testing the waters.

“primarily because the penalty for not having insurance would be eliminated.”

“If I were a Seattle lawmaker, I would be thinking hard about the $15 an hour phase-in.”

Days of future past

“Not only are taxpayers footing the bill, but people are dying unnecessarily because of this.”

Israel settles who can stand where at the Western Wall

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 3:21 PM

Women to the right, men to the left.

Look on the bright side. There’s less snow in the summer

Big win … but for how long?

“Several Russian cities have unveiled monuments to Stalin in recent months.”

Massive disappointment

Emboldened conservative wing?

It’s more about the powers of the Presidency at this point

A second look at paper ballots?

Jazz Shaw Jun 26, 2017 10:41 AM

Low tech solutions to high tech crime

No extra beatings required, thanks

A “”massive, massive f*** up…”

This is totally amazing!

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that