Green Room

Dem Governor Starting to Read the ObamaCare Tea Leaves in Missouri

posted at 12:46 pm on June 26, 2012 by

Given his support for an Obamacare health insurance exchange, Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon isn’t exactly high on the list of people you’d expect to reject the other major element of ObamaCare — the law’s individual health insurance mandate. According to reports in the last few hours, though, it looks like the governor has been reading some tea leaves, and for ObamaCare supporters, it’s a bitter brew.

Referring to it the “Washington Healthcare Law” Nixon spoke out against the key ingredient of President Obama’s signature legislation—the individual mandate.

“I think I’ve been pretty clear…that the health insurance mandate is not something that I think is a good thing. Without going into great detail, having the government you order you to buy something like that is not something that in the past I’ve supported.”

The whole reason that Missouri voters will have the opportunity to unequivocally strip the governor of the power to institute an exchange this year is because of concerns from last year that Gov. Nixon may have planned to implement an exchange unilaterally. Why he had a substantive “change of heart” on the law is, from a policy perspective, of limited consequence, but it’s clear that the politics of ObamaCare and its mandate are still extraordinarily toxic in this state.

We’ll find out on Thursday whether the mandate will be ruled unconstitutional. It appears the governor couldn’t wait that long.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

And Claire is considering skipping the convention per the St. Louis Beacon. Claire is playing her election year “I’m an independent” game again. Especially funny since she was one of the very first to jump on board the Obama bandwagon.

stldave on June 26, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Patrick,

I know Claire is extremely vulnerable. The quality of candidates in the primary field, and the fact they all are polling pretty even with relatively low name id can tell you that. Even if common sense didn’t already.

How vulnerable do you think Nixon is? I haven’t seen a ton of polling around it, but maybe I’m just not looking in the right places.

stldave on June 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Thanks for posting this info on what is going on in MO.
Sounds like Gov. Nixon is trying to avoid putting this pending legislation up to the voters. I don’t quite understand why the House & Senate can’t just pass the bill as it seems it’s veto-proof. Then again, I probably don’t understand MO State law:-)

bluefox on June 26, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Oh, thanks also Patrick for the link to the heartland site.

At the bottom of the site, they have a list of other ones that are informative. I especially liked the Tea Party Toolbox!!

bluefox on June 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Nixon has some explaining to do. What a difference a few months make.

Totalitarian democracy is a term made famous by Israeli historian J. L. Talmon to refer to a system of government in which lawfully elected representatives maintain the integrity of a nation state whose citizens, while granted the right to vote, have little or no participation in the decision-making process of the government.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totalitarian_democracy

manateespirit on June 26, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I think I’ve been pretty clear… I hope you’ve already forgotten that I said the opposite that the health insurance mandate is not something that I think is a good thing.

Fixed it for the Guv.

Mary in LA on June 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM

tag fail…

Mary in LA on June 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I never understood why everybody has always talked about how popular Nixon is and acted as if his re-election is a guarantee. He has the benefit of his opponents being unknowns, but he tends to stay stuck in the mid 40s vs. those unknowns in all polling. That is not a sign of a popular governor with an easy path to re-election.

Gingotts on June 26, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Nixon is an idiot for pushing any of this considering how the state’s voters clearly feel about ObamaCare.

This is the state, BTW, that voted for a symbolic measure against ObamaCare at roughly a 70-30 clip.

teke184 on June 26, 2012 at 5:18 PM

He was for it before he was against it, or something.

Seems to happen to Dims frequently.

AZCoyote on June 27, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM
Top Pick

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Top Pick

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM