Green Room

Why Aren’t You a Democrat?

posted at 8:39 am on June 25, 2012 by

Today is my birthday. However, I was treated to an early birthday present in the form of a wonderfully hilarious YouTube video. Over the weekend, this campaign video from Ryan Combe of Utah was plastered all over my Facebook news feed from my left leaning friends. So, naturally, I had to see what all the fuss was about. I wanted to fill my brain with the incredible liberal logic (an oxymoron, I know) that my friends claimed this video represented. While I couldn’t locate the intelligent logic, I did enjoy the video, though perhaps not for the same reasons.

This campaign video details a conversation between a college-aged boy and his “Proud Republican” parents. At the onset of the video, the boy breaks the news to his parents that he is a Democrat. In false stereotypical fashion, both parents break into hysterics. Besides the comedic value, what I enjoyed about this campaign video was its reliance upon typical Republican stereotypes and flimsy liberal arguments. It’s basically a minute and a half of the liberal platform complete with easily debunked planks. Naturally, I could not resist taking this video down a peg by taking on each of the son’s flimsy liberal arguments about his party-switch. Arguments like this:

“I just want to help those less fortunate than I am.”

I guess the implication here is that Republicans do not care about the less fortunate? Just because you have two different approaches toward relieving poverty does not imply that one side does not care about the poor. Ideologically, the main difference between conservative and liberal approaches to poverty is the source of the assistance. Liberals tend to believe that government should have a large hand in assisting the poor while conservatives put more of our stock into private charity. The conservative argument was clearly articulated long ago by Benjamin Franklin who stated, “I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it.” Perhaps that seems harsh to many liberals. However, it’s nothing more than common sense. Conservatives favor “hand-ups” not “hand-outs.” The liberal solution to poverty is perhaps more harmful to those living below that poverty line than the conservative solution. How will someone ever rise above their situation if they are made comfortable with numerous welfare handouts?

“I don’t want my student loan rates to go up; but not at the expense of women and children’s preventative healthcare.”

This argument refers to a plan suggested by Republicans a few weeks ago designed to keep student loan interest rates from rising automatically on July 1st. The plan passed in the House includes taking the necessary funds from the portion of Obamacare known as the “Prevention and Public Health Fund.” Clearly, this is an attempt to take down Obamacare piecemeal should it not be overturned by the Supreme Court. Regardless, this plan has faced opposition from people on the right and left, including from the Heritage Foundation. At least it’s a solution. To place the blame for failure to reach a deal solely on Republicans is naive. One could just as easily argue that the ball in in the Democrats court and they have simply been standing on the sidelines. Where is their plan to solve the student loan crisis? For that matter, where’s their budget? But I digress…While a deal perhaps needs to be made now, at least on a temporary basis, I contend that the government shouldn’t be in the business of subsidizing student loans in the first place.  Government subsidized student loans both lead to increased education costs and a greater burden on taxpayers. Thus, you can imagine my extreme “delight” when I opened my financial aid package last summer only to realize that I was not 100% a client of the US government.

“We should tax the oil companies to better fund education.”

This suggestion is indicative of most liberal arguments in a nutshell: Instill a punitive tax and then give the revenue from the tax to education. Adding education to anything, even tax hikes, makes people feel good about themselves doesn’t it? However, this fallacy didn’t stop President Obama from suggesting that Congress needs to end “Big Oil tax breaks.” Well, give me a break. First off, according to an article in The Daily Caller last year, oil companies do not even receive tax breaks, at least not in the way that Democrats are portraying. Although oil is an industry just like any other industry, including those of “alternative” energy, they are often portrayed as enormous, corrupt monsters of death. Talk about vilifying success. Second, increasing taxes on oil companies will do more harm than good. Liberals might not want to admit this, but the oil industry is behind a lot of economic success right now. They have provided thousands of jobs to our fragile economy. What are the odds that no one in the oil industry will be laid off if the entire industry faces steep tax hikes? It’s probably about the same as the odds of Barack Obama admitting he’s wrong about. About anything. Also, you want energy prices to go up? Well, then by all means, tax the oil companies. “Big Oil” is less likely to drill for new sources of oil if they’re being taxed to death. America is on a freeway towards economic demise. Next stop: skyrocketing energy costs.

“I believe that men and women in this country deserve equal rights and equal opportunities under the law.”

I don’t even know how to approach this one. However, I’m in a valuable position, being an “oppressed” woman and all, so let me take a stab at it. Sure, men and women face different treatment in the media, workplace, etc. but that’s always been a fact and the street goes both ways. However, that’s a social reality, not a legal reality. Based on law, men and women are equal. I’d like to enlighten my Democratic friends with the fact that it is 2012, not 1912. I can vote, run for office, and enter the workforce just like any man. The “War on Women,” is just a construct created by the left in an attempt to get their socially liberal policies enacted. Just because I don’t get free contraception and easy access to abortion doesn’t mean I’m being oppressed or faced legal inequality.

“I don’t think that if someone loses their job or gets sick that they should go bankrupt and lose their homes.”

Sure, if this happens, it’s unfortunate and sad. If people weren’t so dependent upon the government, the maybe private charity could step in. However, this argument is not accurate. Most people who file for bankruptcy actually get to keep their homes. It’s actually bankruptcy itself which gives people the option for a fresh start. However, for liberals, this is never good enough. They always want more and more government. But the more government programs we have, the more chance of there being abuse of the system. Our government already does do a lot for people who lose their jobs, and in the end it’s not exactly a good thing. The number of weeks people can spend on unemployment benefits drastically increased last year. A safety net may be necessary, but 53 weeks of paid vacation is more like a safety bed.

“I believe in good, affordable healthcare for everyone.”

Obviously, this statement implies that Republicans are against good and affordable healthcare because we oppose the destructive entitlement known as Obamacare. Rather, it’s quite the opposite because Obamacare will provide healthcare that is neither good nor affordable. Thankfully (or perhaps, unfortunately) we have the “great” examples of socialized medicine in Canada and Europe to look forward to should Obamacare withstand legal scrutiny. You want good healthcare? Don’t go to Canada or Europe. In the UK, a 3-year-old was denied a life-saving heart surgery because there were simply not enough beds available for doctors to perform the surgery. Another woman was denied treatment because she had the “audacity” to seek out a private doctor for relief to her crippling back pain after she had been on a waiting list for surgery for months. God forbid someone seek out the advice of a private doctor.

Neither is socialized medicine affordable. The health care system in Canada lost taxpayers approximately $3 billion dollars in 2011. That’s just what our failing economy needs: another bloated entitlement. No wonder the UK is moving towards privatized healthcare. In addition, you know who’s going to be the most injured by Obamacare? The youth (aka Obama’s most powerful voting bloc). Young people typically pay much less for healthcare, but under Obamacare, we will have to pay much more to support the increased number of people on the government’s dime. If Obamacare remains viable, our nation has nothing to look forward to but healthcare rationing, poor health care services, and an even further damaged economy.

At the end of this campaign video, Ryan Combe states, “Why aren’t you a Democrat? It might not be as bad as you think.” Well, if I have to judge the Democratic party based upon this video filled with inaccurate, insulting stereotypes and flimsy liberal arguments, then I’ll pass. Unfortunately, I seem to be in the minority. This video is obviously targeted at the young and uninformed voters. Many, like my peers who seem enthralled by this video, fail to pick apart its terrible arguments. This video may be an insult to my intelligence, but I actually enjoy it. Very rarely do liberals put many of their unintelligent arguments in such a bite sized form. I’m glad I could get such a laugh from it. Now excuse me, I’m going to scout out my birthday cake and keep an eye on today’s Supreme Court rulings.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Happy Birthday, Amy!! Nice post.

Bitter Clinger on June 25, 2012 at 8:55 AM

In order for their ideology to make sense the Left must believe we live in a class-locked, racist, sexist society from the distant past. In reality we’ve moved way, way past that. Asians have surpassed whites in income & education. There is no “institutionalized racism” any longer.

Progressives did help get some good things done…a long, long time ago. However the ideology has definitely run it’s course in America and is now nothing short of destructive. Just look at what Progs have done to public education, inner city poor families, energy, debt, deficits, health insurance, etc.

Further, as demonstrated by the video, the modern Progressive ideology is based completely on a fundamental misunderstanding/rejection of basic economic principles which are (in their defense) largely counter-intuitive.

visions on June 25, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Happy Birthday Amy! I’m surprised the arguement didn’t include that Republicans don’t believe in AGW. Which is what my wife heard over the weekend. She even tried to rebut the statement by mentioning the Medevil Warm Period. The response – ‘I don’t care about history!’

MVoss on June 25, 2012 at 9:17 AM

The older you get and the more you have to deal with big government, the more you realize that the bigger government is, the less it’s able to walk and chew gum at the same time. And that’s because the further government moves from the local level, the less each person is a human face and the more they’re just Case No. L5374502-1604 — totally disposable, unless there’s an election coming up, when pols throw ‘free’ stuff there way in hopes of winning new terms.

Most people discover the inefficiencies and the limits of government when they got out into the real world. Those who see those inefficiencies and still think if government can just be tweaked according to their design it can create Shangra-La are usually the immediate gratification types (who want it NOW, even if it means taking from someone else to get it) or the power trippers (who aren’t happy unless they can tell everyone else how to live their lives). For those two groups, the ego stroking this video offers just feeds into their own belief that they’re a higher form of human life than the rabble out in the hinterlands.

jon1979 on June 25, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Someone with mad video skillz needs to re-cut the parent scenes where the parents respond to their silly kid with some grown-up common sense.

RegularJoe on June 25, 2012 at 9:27 AM

/begin Sorkin

(Jim Lennon stands up on his newsanchor desk and begins to preach, as a gaggle of cute young women with freshly-minted journalism degrees from Ivy League schools look on in amazement and arousal)

I’m not a Democrat because I believe that hurricanes are caused by low barometric pressure and not by Karl Rove.

I’m not a Democrat because I believe that a cop-killers should be executed instead of unborn babies.

I’m not a Democrat because I don’t believe that black people and brown people are too stupid to make it in this society without the help of a government run by white people.

I’m not a Democrat because I don’t believe climate change data should be selectively edited to advance someone else’s political agenda.

I’m not a Democrat because I don’t think the United States deserved to be attacked on 9/11.

But, mostly, I’m not a Democrat because I refuse to believe in an ideology that puts stereotypes and emotions over logic and real-world facts.

(The newsroom breaks out into applause. The older cameraman is holding back tears, the grizzled veteran reporter is applauding, and the young women are screaming and throwing their sexy underthings at Jim Lennon for speaking truth to stupid.)

/end Sorkin

JimLennon on June 25, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Heh. I’d love to see a response to this with a clean-cut young person telling his peace-sign-wearing, long-haired parents, “Mom, Dad, don’t get upset–but I’m a Republican.” And at the end of the video, the kid would say, “And by the way, I’ve decided to enlist.”

CJ on June 25, 2012 at 10:31 AM

RegularJoe on June 25, 2012 at 9:27 AM

DO IT. It would be quite like the conservative responses to / parodies of That One’s “Julia” campaign.

Also, happy b-day to Ms. Lutz.

Mr. Prodigy on June 25, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Happy Birthday…

And you aren’t a liberal, because you think.

That’s all!

upinak on June 25, 2012 at 10:51 AM

When I saw this, the first thing that came to mind was same sex marriage

marlin77 on June 25, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I know that nothing is free. I accept that people’s stuff belongs to them and they have a right to the fruits of their labor. I believe children have a right to be born. I think everyone should work. I believe that if Global Warming Climate Change were real, the people who are trying so hard to convince us to accept it would live their lives without private jets and limos and trips to exotic locales for conferences about how to make the rest of us live. I know that pouring more money into a bottomless pit to improve education will not do the job and I think the Dept of Ed should be shut down. I believe that too much government regulation strangles growth and the EPA should be shut down. I believe the Dept of the Interior is preventing us from exploiting our natural resources responsibly and to their full potential and should be radically reduced. I believe the UN is a giant boondoggle that enriches diplomats and dictators and does nothing worthwhile and should either be shut down or moved the hell out of New York and go on without our participation.

I’m sure there is more to add and I’ll think of it as soon as I hit the enter key, but that’s a start for me.

mchristian on June 25, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Also, happy birthday, Amy.

mchristian on June 25, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Because I’m smart, responsible, and happy.

Happy Birthday!

J.E. Dyer on June 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Why Aren’t You a Democrat?

Because I would never join the party of slavery, segregation and racism! Meanwhile, the Republican party has ALWAYS stood against such injustice!

Why would I succumb to being an economic slave on a Democrat-run vote plantation when I can use my individual freedom to pursue my own success, and then use that success to help others?

dominigan on June 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Happy birthday, Amy!

“Why aren’t you a Democrat?”

Easy. I’m not brain dead.

sadatoni on June 25, 2012 at 12:48 PM

For all the reasons given by others earlier, and because I’m a Catholic! More subsidiarity. When it comes to taking care of the poor and less fortunate, big government has become a false god, and Obama its prophet.

Enjoy a great birthday, Amy–I had mine exactly a week ago!

Sir Rants-A-Lot on June 25, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Why Aren’t You a Democrat?

Because I haven’t had a frontal lobotomy.

JimLennon on June 25, 2012 at 9:53 AM

It’s for posts like this that Hot Gas needs a “Like” button.

Dominion on June 25, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Responding to the young mans arguments is satisfying in the short term but after a while you’re going to get tired of it.

When you know a liberal everyday is Groundhog Day, you can patiently explain why they’re wrong, how they’ve misstated the facts, how the real world works… and the next day they will repeat the same worn out talking points.

No matter what you say to a liberal, they will hear something directly out of their playbook and answer with something that doesn’t relate to your point at all, then they change the subject.

It’s very rare that you can find one who can help you hone your debating skills, with most of them, you’d be better off talking to houseplants.

halfbaked on June 25, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Superb post, Amy.

MadisonConservative on June 25, 2012 at 7:03 PM

The whole video’s a hoot. Dialogue’s as deep as the acting – lulz

Thanks for linking — needed some laughs tonight. Oh, and happy birthday to Amy!

inviolet on June 25, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Conservatives (and I am one) need to stop attacking Canada’s healthcare system. It makes you sound stupid every time. You say it lost 6billion dollars. Do you have any idea how much money is lost in the US healthcare system? You guys spend 30 to 66 cents on the dollar for administration. In Canada, we spend fractions of a penny per dollar. No matter how bad Canada says it’s bad, it’s because they want to improve it. That doesn’t imply that it’s worse than the US system.

Also, you would LOVE our system. It’s cheaper, more affordable and more accessible than your system. But as a conservative, cheaper, affordable and accessible aren’t what you stand for. OK! Got it.

MrX on June 25, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I’m not a democrat, and never will be.. because we’ve had to struggle and have been on food stamps..

I’m not a democrat, and never will be.. because I’m a proud American and will not be treated as an ignorant peasant by a social worker with a degree and a Prius, along with a very nasty condescending attitude towards the masses..

I’m not a democrat, and never will be.. Because I’m a veteran, and served proudly in the cold war, as democrats worked feverishly to undercut the President and appease the Soviet’s.

I’m not a democrat, and never will be.. because I felt democrat love in a college bar when my friends and I stopped in for a beer after we got off duty.. Amazing that in 1981, liberals still thought spitting on a US military uniform was cool.

I’m not a democrat, and never will be.. Because I never wanted to be “kept”, I just wanted to work, and have since the day I turned 16, till the day… the doctors.. well, I miss it. Disabilty is to me a necessary evil, not a seat cushion. I end up feeling ashamed because I have to depend on it to feed and cloth my wife and kids.. my wife works dammned hard.. but it’s not enough.. I feel ashamed, though my back was broken twice, the second time in two places.. because some have so gamed the system, they get an SSD pension for a single bad disc,.. or because they are over 400lbs.. or because they faked an injury.. They treat it like winning the lotto,, and all I ever wanted, was to work..

I’m not a democrat, and never will be.. because I have self respect, and refuse to surrender it in exchange for the title of “victim”…

I’m not a democrat, and never will be.. because I value all opinions in my party, not just the ones I want to hear. I value free speech, and would never demand an opponent be silenced and yanked from the airwaves.. I can just turn the channel, something educated liberals can’t figure out.

I’m not a democrat, and never will be.. Because I have children,.. and I want them to have a better life than my wife and I had, because it’s the birth right of an American, to dream the big dreams. Not to find a couch and demand the state provide a comfortable cell.

mark81150 on June 26, 2012 at 8:48 AM