Green Room

Police arrest mother of emaciated 10-year-old forced to live sealed in closet

posted at 1:13 pm on June 25, 2012 by

At first blush, the story sounds as apocryphal as it does tragic. It conjures up images of the evil twin locked in the attic, the insane half-brother secreted away in a basement dungeon. Sadly, it is all too real.

The Kansas City Star reports that police responding last Friday to a call received by a child abuse hotline visited an apartment where they found a 10-year-old living in a closet barricaded shut by a crib stuffed with blankets and shoes. The child was surrounded by her own filth and severely malnourished. Her weight was recorded at 32 pounds, less than half the average normal weight for a female her age.

Later the same day, police tracked down her mother, Jacole Prince, 29, at a boyfriend’s residence. Prince’s other two “normal” daughters, ages 2 and 8, were with her and appeared well-fed and cared-for. They were placed in protective custody and Prince was arrested. On Saturday, she was charged with assault, abuse of a child, and endangering a child’s welfare.

Video report of child forced to live in locked closet

Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker described the living conditions of the “odd child out” as “completely atrocious,” adding, “All indicators are she spent a substantial   amount of time in that room.”

The child, identified only as “LP,” was taken to Children’s Mercy Hospital. There she told authorities that “she doesn’t get to eat every day” and that she “does not want to go back home anymore.” The child also said she gets in trouble “because she keeps peeing on herself” and that her mother will “punch her on her back real hard” when she misbehaves.

Longtime neighbors report never having seen the child, with many saying they were unaware that a third child lived in the apartment. Baker said that authorities were still trying to determine whether LP ever attended school.

The mother’s boyfriend has also denied knowledge of the child’s existence, a claim that seems highly improbable if he ever visited Prince’s apartment. Police note that when they first entered the apartment on Friday they were instantly greeted by a powerful stench of feces and urine. Prosecutor Baker said she has not ruled out further charges because the investigation is ongoing and it is too early to say how long the abuse has been occurring.

Related Articles

Subscribe at the top of the page to have my articles sent directly to your e-mail inbox. Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Speculation: the father of the 10y/o is not the same as the 8y/o and 2y/o (the younger two likely having the same sire).

Jeddite on June 25, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Jeddite on June 25, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Also suspect that neither father is the same boyfriend mentioned in the story.

Shump on June 25, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Thank God they found her in time.

Does anyone else feel like Lot must have felt before the destruction of Sodom? I’m so sick of reading about all the evil. We are Romans 1. I almost feel like burying my head in the sand like the vast majority of morons in this country. Is American Idol still going on?

God have mercy.

pannw on June 25, 2012 at 2:39 PM

That’s what I’m thinking. This child was punished because of who her father was.

TheLastBrainLeft on June 25, 2012 at 5:28 PM

i’m really happy she was rescued! what a disgusting “mother,” she doesn’t deserve to really be called that word. and yes i am definitely sure that this is all because of the father. typical trashy slut with a bunch of (equally trashy) baby daddies…

Sachiko on June 26, 2012 at 1:30 AM

I have a ten year old son……..

My wife and I, had three children, our daugther is 13.. we lost our third child lost at birth, he was our second son,..

I read that, and I can’t help but see my boy’s face, .. there is nothing on God’s green earth that sears a parent’s soul like the cry of pain or fear from one of our children. I can’t wrap my head around this kind of evil.. I can remember begging God to take me instead of Garret… please,.. We’re still wearing the scars from his loss.

That this demon could do this shows she isn’t human, not anything even approaching a mother as I know my wife to be.

The legal system will lock her away.. if there is justice, she’ll never see daylight. Human filth,..

I pray for that little girl,.. I hope she can forget what was done to her.. I pray she can. It’s going to take years of love and caring to wash away her pain.. I hope to God she finds a caring family.

mark81150 on June 26, 2012 at 8:22 AM

As the mother of an autistic 7-year-old, who can be exasperating at times, this disgusts me. Why couldn’t she *protect* her special child instead of locking her away in the dark?

Sekhmet on June 26, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Unbelievable.
This seems to be happening a lot lately.
Just an example – 2 here in Georgia, unfortunately did not survive.

Mother in starved 2 yr old child death gets life in prison

Starved teen was mentally challenged

Brat on June 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM

This is just another black on black crime that the media will ignore. This little girl does not have a chance at having a normal and happy life.
Any bets on whether the ‘mother’ is employed or supported totally by our tax dollars?

maryo on June 27, 2012 at 9:34 AM