Green Room

Meet John Quiñones (R-FL9)

posted at 4:53 pm on June 19, 2012 by

I recently had the opportunity to sit down with former Florida House member and current Chair of the Osceola County Board of Commissioners John Quiñones, the most prominent of the GOP field of candidates vying to face former Congressman Alan Grayson (D-Occupy) for the right to represent the citizens of the newly-created Ninth Congressional District of Florida in Congress.

I looked at the dynamics of the race back in April, after Quiñones announced.  After engaging Quiñones on a variety of issues, I stand by my analysis, which is that this is an eminently winnable race.

The full interview is available here.  If you can’t spare the seven-and-a-half minutes, then definitely watch Quiñones’ take on ObamaCare, Congressional oversight, and the Separation of Powers.

watch?v=__LDmY5oTk0&feature=plcp

The response was particularly prescient, given that the interview was recorded the day before President Obama announced his “Executive DREAM Act”.  I respectfully submit that Quiñones represents a welcome change from the runaway regulatory adventurism that has been the hallmark of this Administration, which Alan Grayson gleefully rubberstamped while in Congress.

The institutional Left likes to harp on race (as do their media proxies).  Quiñones’ entry into the race denies Grayson an opportunity to campaign on racial grievance or any other of his sundry sideshows, forcing a clear contrast both on the issues, and on his record.

As I stated in April, the election could well turn on this race.  Beyond that, I have little else to say to conservatives who cringe at the mere thought of an Alan Grayson return to Congress, except: you know the drill.

Crossposted at El Tercer Riel (The Third Rail).

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

It does appear that John is someone who needs to be elected in FL! grayson, my gosh, that man is so far beyond help I am surprised he can brush his teeth in the morning without help.

Good luck John, I would vote for you if I live in FL to do so.

BTW, our home will be voting for Ted Cruz here in TX and I hope to goodness he wins!
L

letget on June 19, 2012 at 5:11 PM

We ARE talking about THE Grayson…you know, that rude, crude socially unacceptable dingbat, right? The one who’s a total frootloop?

Oh, Floridians…you can’t possibly be that stupid…can you? Please, say it ain’t so! I really, really DO NOT want to have to look at that man’s mug on the news on a regular basis, ever again!

sage0925 on June 19, 2012 at 5:23 PM

sage0925 on June 19, 2012 at 5:23 PM

The man is a firebrand and rather amusing/endearing to his followers. Good orator, not afraid of throwing bombs, even more liberal than Obama… his supporters will turn out in droves, I’m sure.

It’s up to the sane folks to defeat him, and I’m not sure how that’ll work with the new district.

Aquarian on June 20, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM

Divide and conquer?

You know, I may have cracked the case for you, guys

“They’re still running against her and still winning races.”

“…the suspect is from Quebec and has a Canadian passport.”

When the Left lost their way on immigration

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 2:41 PM

It wasn’t all that long ago, really

“I personally watched some of these students go up to Chief Brown, right up to her face, and call her all kinds of names, cursing at her.”

Did the Queen “nix” a Trump visit to London?

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 12:41 PM

More like wishful thinking on the American left

Sometimes it’s hard. This was the hardest part

Did the polls get the Handel/Ossoff race wrong?

Allahpundit Jun 21, 2017 11:21 AM

Nah.

Physician, heal thyself

Maybe we’ll stay home and watch.

Good lack of work if you can get it

GOP takes 2 more special House races, meaning what?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 21, 2017 8:41 AM

Two more demoralizing moral victories for Dems.

Not a murder, but nearly as awful

GA Election results thread Update: Handel wins!

John Sexton Jun 20, 2017 7:10 PM

Late night?

7 p.m. ET: The election to end all elections

Allahpundit Jun 20, 2017 7:01 PM

Endgame.

Dashcam footage: The shooting of Philando Castile

Allahpundit Jun 20, 2017 6:31 PM

“Sir, I have to tell you that I do have a firearm on me.”

“Military personnel had to neutralize an individual.”

Because that’s pretty much the same thing, you see

“Now is the time to be more visible.”

“If you’re frustrated by the lack of transparency in this process, I share your frustration.”

Uh oh.

“No matter how radical, offensive, biased, prejudiced, fascist the program is?”

No regrets