Green Room

Dead dog receives voter registration form; MSM blames ‘voter ID laws’

posted at 11:52 am on June 19, 2012 by

Call it a variation on a theme: Dogs have been registered to vote, and so have dead people—so why not a dead dog?

Roanoke, Va., NBC affiliate WSLS reports that Tim Morris, a resident of the town of Goodview, was surprised when he opened a recent piece of mail and found it contained voter registration forms for “Mo” (h/t Matt Drudge).

Morris claims that he laughed, initially thinking it was all a prank. That is because Mo was the family’s nickname for their poodle, Mozart, who has been dead for two years.

“He would have been 19 years old this year and he passed away two years ago,” Morris told reporters. “I still have no earthly idea how they got his information.”

That piece of the puzzle is hinted at later in the broadcast:

10 On Your Side looked deeper and found that the voter registration forms were sent by the non-profit Voter Participation Center, not the State Board of Elections. [Emphasis added]

So we contacted the Voter Participation Center and found that they purchase mailing lists from vendors and while they do try and check every name the organization admits that some do fall through the cracks.

The voter registration efforts are focused on groups like young people, minorities, and unmarried women.

But there is another element to the story that smacks ofmedia bias. Watch the lead-in to the video on this page, and notice how the anchor introduces the segment. She begins by stating that a Virginia mandate requiring that voters present a photo ID at the polls “has led to an interesting situation.” She even mentions Gov. Bob McDonald, a Republican, by name in connection with the snafu, pointing out that McDonald signed the legislation just last month.

But the Voter Participation Center (VPC), which the report admits was responsible for the mix-up, is in no way associated with the passage of the voter ID law—and in factstands vigorously opposed to such laws. It is their actions, not the new law, that created the “interesting situation” detailed in the segment.

Notice also that while the anchor describes VPC as “non-profit,” she conveniently omits the fact that it leans heavily left in its politics, as can be ascertained by perusing theheadings and openings paragraphs of the group’s recent news releases.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at [email protected] or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Was the dog’s address listed as “Obama’s stomach?”

rbj on June 19, 2012 at 12:05 PM

At least the dog was MURDERED. I read that disgusting story about the NYPD Blue writer who punched his little poodle in the head killing it.

Blake on June 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM

that’s it-i’m signing up these lay about cats. can the Misses Kitteh expect to have facilities for Lady Cats at their polling location? also: can they get free treats, toys, and EBT cards if they vote a certain way?

mittens on June 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Oh, why mention politically inconvenient FACTS. Isn’t the purpose of the news media to elect Democrats?

WannabeAnglican on June 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM

wasn’t Murdered…

Blake on June 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Wait, isn’t this a good thing? Who cares what the slimestreamers think. I say the thing backfired on the VPC bcuz they uncovered an instance of potential voter fraud. I’ve seen those forms in the mail in Crook County, IL to kids turning 18 before the election. Imagine that in IL–like Obama isn’t gonna clean up here in November?! I’d be surprised (but would love it!) if he didn’t.

stukinIL4now on June 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM

No problem. I can’t imagine ANY dog, dead or alive, would vote for Obama.

The Rogue Tomato on June 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM

makes for an interesting question, what mailing list was the dog on.

RonK on June 19, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I live in Virginia, and our governor’s name is McDonnell, not McDonald. Please make the correction. A political blogger ought to know better. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your spell checker auto corrected it, so you’re guilty of not proofreading.

College Prof on June 19, 2012 at 1:22 PM

If the dead dog was an illegal alien it would be three votes for the Democrats.

NoDonkey on June 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I always knew that Voter ID laws would lead to more dead dogs voting. Just wait and see what happens with the cats.

kbTexan on June 19, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I can’t imagine ANY dog, dead or alive, would vote for Obama.

The Rogue Tomato on June 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM

When Obama promised not to eat any more dogs he was clearly pandering.

kbTexan on June 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM

College Prof on June 19, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Thank you for pointing this.

That is indeed what happened. Sadly, I am no longer able to edit posts that have gone live, so I’m afraid we all have to live with my careless proofreading.

Howard Portnoy on June 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM

RonK on June 19, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Perhaps for a veterinarian’s office or a dog groomer. When my dog had vet appointments he’d get a postcard in the mail addressed to him.

Left Coast Right Mind on June 19, 2012 at 4:16 PM

College Prof on June 19, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I am from VA too and you are correct. I have met the Governor and consider him a fine man. I think he would agree that a simple correction would suffice in this case, southern hospitality and all…

KCB on June 19, 2012 at 9:35 PM

“Real reporters meet with these dogs. We know what they’re thinking. We’re not just sitting in a basement blogging somewhere.” – Juan Williams (ht, Michelle 😉 )

One would think that a “real” reporter would briefly retrace the logic of how, exactly, a law requiring a photo id for voting actually lead to a dead dog being registered to vote. I mean … maybe it’s because I didn’t go to Journalism school, but I’m not exactly seeing the connection. There’s a little disconnect there by my way of thinking.

philmon on June 20, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM

Divide and conquer?

You know, I may have cracked the case for you, guys

“They’re still running against her and still winning races.”

“…the suspect is from Quebec and has a Canadian passport.”

When the Left lost their way on immigration

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 2:41 PM

It wasn’t all that long ago, really

“I personally watched some of these students go up to Chief Brown, right up to her face, and call her all kinds of names, cursing at her.”

Did the Queen “nix” a Trump visit to London?

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 12:41 PM

More like wishful thinking on the American left

Sometimes it’s hard. This was the hardest part

Did the polls get the Handel/Ossoff race wrong?

Allahpundit Jun 21, 2017 11:21 AM

Nah.

Physician, heal thyself

Maybe we’ll stay home and watch.

Good lack of work if you can get it

GOP takes 2 more special House races, meaning what?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 21, 2017 8:41 AM

Two more demoralizing moral victories for Dems.

Not a murder, but nearly as awful

GA Election results thread Update: Handel wins!

John Sexton Jun 20, 2017 7:10 PM

Late night?

7 p.m. ET: The election to end all elections

Allahpundit Jun 20, 2017 7:01 PM

Endgame.

Dashcam footage: The shooting of Philando Castile

Allahpundit Jun 20, 2017 6:31 PM

“Sir, I have to tell you that I do have a firearm on me.”

“Military personnel had to neutralize an individual.”

Because that’s pretty much the same thing, you see

“Now is the time to be more visible.”

“If you’re frustrated by the lack of transparency in this process, I share your frustration.”

Uh oh.

“No matter how radical, offensive, biased, prejudiced, fascist the program is?”

No regrets

And it’s not just your imagination